• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

End of ACC? Rumors not really swirling about UNC, UVA & GA Tech to Big 10

CTE is going to kill football and all of this realignment for football money will look rather silly.

Countdown to appearances from the Maryland Internet National Guard?

It's not a wash. First off, football is worth TONS more money than basketball - it's not even comparable. Secondly, if you're one of the ACC schools who cares about football the most and has an instate SEC rival (GT, FSU, Clemson) ... what good does the ACC being good at basketball do for you? For those 3 schools, it's about the same as being great at lacrosse.

I have no desire at all for GT to leave the ACC, and I'm a much bigger basketball fan than most at GT ... but damn, if people from North Carolina can't be stupid about the situation facing the southern part of the league that cares about football.

If they care so much, they need to improve enough to earn the conference SEC type money.

It's not a wash. First off, football is worth TONS more money than basketball - it's not even comparable. Secondly, if you're one of the ACC schools who cares about football the most and has an instate SEC rival (GT, FSU, Clemson) ... what good does the ACC being good at basketball do for you? For those 3 schools, it's about the same as being great at lacrosse.

I have no desire at all for GT to leave the ACC, and I'm a much bigger basketball fan than most at GT ... but damn, if people from North Carolina can't be stupid about the situation facing the southern part of the league that cares about football.

Well, get better at football. The league isn't down because of the North Carolina schools, the league is down because the traditional football powerhouses have sucked in the last 10 years. The SEC has 3-5 "down" teams every year, so does the Big 10. The problem is that our top football schools aren't doing their job. The way I see it, if your school is losing multiple conference games every year, you shouldn't be complaining about the ACC's lack of focus on football.

Last edited:
Bingo. Those fan bases are incredible with the stuff they have thrown out since conference expansion started.

Yeah, these new rumors are emanating from the guy who runs the MD pay site. Shocker that he is trying to drive rumors and traffic. It's possible that it may happen I guess, but I doubt it. Frankly, we should merge this thread with the conference realignment thread. No reason to give the troll rumors more e-ink.

Wasn't there some dude on twitter claiming that GT, FSU and Clemson were joining the Big 12 like 3 weeks ago? Clearly, the best course is to ignore the rumors.

I don't get how moving to another conference (especially ones with most teams in a completely different part of the country) would make those teams any better. GT is never going to consistently be on the same level with UGa. It's just not the same type of school, doesn't have the huge fanbase, etc. And then if all of a sudden they are playing half of their games in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, etc, I would be willing to bet that they become less popular to a lot of the recruits in the south.

As for FSU, they couldn't have a better deal to be a national contender every year. They still get the best recruits and probably have the easiest path to a national title of any elite team in the country. How does leaving the ACC solve their issue of losing to teams like WF and NC State? FSU should have been a better team than UF this past season, and they got the Gators at home. Not sure how being in another conference would have prevented them from throwing up all over themselves yet again.

UNC doesn't leave the ACC without NC State/Duke. UVA or GA Tech could be a possibility somewhere down the road but who knows.

MD is a unique case. They are in such a dire financial situation that all it took was the Big 10 showing them the money to leave. Also their administration was not very keen on the ACC. These other schools will likely be more resistant to leaving, and would only leave if FSU/Clemson bolt for the Big XII or something else happens that shows more instability in the ACC. The ACC is already on more solid ground despite losing MD by adding Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, and ND.

MD fans just want to think they outsmarted everybody in leaving the ACC, and that it's demise is inevitable. The reality is that MD's departure was just a desperate move built by years of financial mismanagement and desire to be an elite athletic program without solid financial backing. If anything, since their departure the evidence has shown that the ACC is getting stronger. If we do eventually move to a 16-team mega-conference model, the Big XII is likely in greater jeopardy than the ACC given the teams and geographics (Pac-12 poaching Big XII teams, remaining Big East teams desperate to join ACC, etc.).

I don't get how moving to another conference (especially ones with most teams in a completely different part of the country) would make those teams any better. GT is never going to consistently be on the same level with UGa. It's just not the same type of school, doesn't have the huge fanbase, etc. And then if all of a sudden they are playing half of their games in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, etc, I would be willing to bet that they become less popular to a lot of the recruits in the south.

As for FSU, they couldn't have a better deal to be a national contender every year. They still get the best recruits and probably have the easiest path to a national title of any elite team in the country. How does leaving the ACC solve their issue of losing to teams like WF and NC State? FSU should have been a better team than UF this past season, and they got the Gators at home. Not sure how being in another conference would have prevented them from throwing up all over themselves yet again.

People keep getting this confused. Moving has nothing to do with competitiveness. It's completely about television revenue and the opportunity to make it to the 4 team playoff. Maryland and Rutgers aren't moving to the Big 10 to improve their athletics, they're going to possibly make more money in the future, while their teams get beat like dirty rugs or rented mules, whichever cliche you prefer.

I thought we had this same thread six months ago?

MD still sucks. Hard to believe none of their ilk have showed up on this thread yet.

Countdown to appearances from the Maryland Internet National Guard?

:popcorn:

It really wasn't/isn't that big of a deal or anything that surprising or anything. Sounds like either you (the OP) or the source you got it from misinterpreted Jeff's information or ran with it and tried to figure out what was implied or something. I'm not gonna divulge what he's posted on premium, but the main points can be seen on his twitter, @insidemdsports and you don't need to subscribe or anything. Probably buried under tweets from last night though.

Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports
Seems to be some confusion. So it's clear, I've reported nothing to the effect that UNC is Big 10-bound; just that Big Ten wants the Heels.
18h ago

Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.
22h ago

So UVa makes a huge stink and forces the ACC to take VT in their expansion only to turn around and leave VT in the dust a couple of years later. Yeah, that makes sense.

People keep getting this confused. Moving has nothing to do with competitiveness. It's completely about television revenue and the opportunity to make it to the 4 team playoff. Maryland and Rutgers aren't moving to the Big 10 to improve their athletics, they're going to possibly make more money in the future, while their teams get beat like dirty rugs or rented mules, whichever cliche you prefer.

But the GT fan was saying that GT, Clemson, and FSU getting left in the dust by their SEC rivals is the reason those schools would move.

:popcorn:

It really wasn't/isn't that big of a deal or anything that surprising or anything. Sounds like either you (the OP) or the source you got it from misinterpreted Jeff's information or ran with it and tried to figure out what was implied or something. I'm not gonna divulge what he's posted on premium, but the main points can be seen on his twitter, @insidemdsports and you don't need to subscribe or anything. Probably buried under tweets from last night though.

Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports
Seems to be some confusion. So it's clear, I've reported nothing to the effect that UNC is Big 10-bound; just that Big Ten wants the Heels.
18h ago

Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.
22h ago

OH, OK. In other news, water is wet. Of course the B1G wants UNC. Pretty much all of the conferences want UNC. If the B1G could have gotten UNC, then Maryland would still be in the ACC most likely.

Please make it stop! UNC/UVA/Duke are not going anywhere. Not unless the ACC folds out from under them. No way, no how. Not happening under any other circumstances. I can't speak for any of the other schools mentioned.

Back