• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Enough for another year of this crap

This is the nightmare scenario that keeps running through my head -

In Wellman's mind the win over Clemson is an indication of our team's slow-but-sure progress. Therefore, he is leaning toward giving Bzz another year so that all of our immature and inexperienced sophomores can return as mature and experienced juniors. Just one or two more wins will absolutely assure Bzz's return. :rulz:

This is the nightmare scenario that keeps running through my head -

In Wellman's mind the win over Clemson is an indication of our team's slow-but-sure progress. Therefore, he is leaning toward giving Bzz another year so that all of our immature and inexperienced sophomores can return as mature and experienced juniors. Just one or two more wins will absolutely assure Bzz's return. :rulz:

We have won 1 of our last 8 games. What progress is there to try and point to exactly?

I think you, and others in this thread, are drastically overreacting to a single win in February.

I'm nervous. I feel only the BOT and Hatch's intervention will bring justice here and I have faith in neither

Wellman has inexplicably kept [Redacted] around this long. No one outside of a select few know why he is truly still here. But look at the stands, they look like a women's game (no offense to them, I hope more people go to their games). Look at the public support, even the most ardent [Redacted] supporters believe he should go. Look at our record, it's 5-10 in the ACC in his fouth year and we'll likely have the same record as lat year. Look at the losing streak, the team went almost a full month without a win.

dwindling athletic donations +
a decline in fan-based revenue (conference money is increasing though) +
very poor fan support +
minimal or no improvement in conference play +
almost certainly no post-season play outside winning vs Duke plus two games in the ACC tourney at least +
a coach that has publicly admitted that he cannot motivate the team (a "pussy cat") +
none of the "Wellman Public Support" tours (yet?)
= [Redacted] returning? I don't think so

I'm nervous. I feel only the BOT and Hatch's intervention will bring justice here and I have faith in neither

My understanding was that Hatch/BoT was close to pulling the trigger last year, but ultimately decided to let it play out (although I never heard much else). I feel like a lot of people here in comfortably stating that he's gone (short of some improbable Final Four run).

Wellman has inexplicably kept [Redacted] around this long. No one outside of a select few know why he is truly still here.

This is ludicrous. Wellman got rid of Dino after three years. There was absolutely no way he was going to get rid of Buzz after three years. Wake Forest would have been a place absolutely no good coach would have gone to at that point. After three years, you 1) fired a guy who had a 66-30 (or whatever it was) record and went to the tourney and then 2) fired the new hire who you charged with changing the program. Wake Forest would have been completely dead to the best coaching candidates at that point.

But 3 years and 4 years? THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

What a silly argument. 3 and 3...not nearly enough time! 3 and 4? Oh, yeah. That's an incredible amount of time given!

But 3 years and 4 years? THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

What a silly argument. 3 and 3...not nearly enough time! 3 and 4? Oh, yeah. That's an incredible amount of time given!

3 year is borderline, could go either way. You can definitely make the argument (and I would agree) that he had two years to turn the program around, then didn't do the job in the third year so he should've been fired. One could also make the argument (if they're not a Wake fan) that after getting his guys into the program, he should have two years to try to win with them.

4 years is different because it's not borderline. He had his chance, and he failed.

If a coach only wins 8 games in his first year with players recruited to play in the ACC, it's pretty clear he's not going to be a championship coach.

3 year is borderline, could go either way. You can definitely make the argument (and I would agree) that he had two years to turn the program around, then didn't do the job in the third year so he should've been fired. One could also make the argument (if they're not a Wake fan) that after getting his guys into the program, he should have two years to try to win with them.

4 years is different because it's not borderline. He had his chance, and he failed.

I see what you are saying, but this isn't football. 3 years is more than enough time to turn around a program in basketball.

I see what you are saying, but this isn't football. 3 years is more than enough time to turn around a program in basketball.

I agree with you. and that tracks with the rumors that Hatch/BOT wanted to pull the trigger after last season, but Wellman convinced them to give Bzz one more chance. After four years, there is definitely no way someone could say he wasn't given a chance. And (hopefully) that will help with the coaching search.

3 years is enough with as bad as [Redacted] has been. I can see an argument with a coach that is meddling in mediocrity getting at least 4 years but [Redacted] has been downright atrocious with almost any metric one were to use for evaluating him. This only becomes more evident when his results are viewed against the previous recent coaches at the school.

Not to mention Bz had a horrible track record before coming to Wake.

A few more wins will help with the coaching search as well.

Others have reported that Bz was promised four years and we all know that Wellman keeps his word at least when it suits him.

In his 1st year there...without a recruiting class brought in. Good one.

I was replying to Ph's comment regarding 8 wins. And the all-star that many believed Buzz was going to win with (JT) is now a senior for Enfield. Guess what, he can't win with him either. You guys can hate on Buzz and Wellman all you want. But firing coaches back to back after 3 years would have been program suicide. There will be no debate after this year.

Back