• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Enough for another year of this crap

A few more wins will help with the coaching search as well.

I don't know if this matters. If a new coach goes 19-13 his first year, he looks a lot better if it's coming off a 15-17 than coming off a 17-15 season. When all the candidates were mentioned to replace Grobe, you always saw how their programs did right before they got there. When you turn around a dumpster fire, you can command more $ and respect.

Bz has had ample opportunity to remake the roster with every player except Travis being his recruit. Our ceiling with this group is too low to make the NCAAs. Next year we have a group of guards that don't shoot well from 3 pt range. We have to upgrade our talent to get back in the hunt for a bid.

I was replying to Ph's comment regarding 8 wins. And the all-star that many believed Buzz was going to win with (JT) is now a senior for Enfield. Guess what, he can't win with him either. You guys can hate on Buzz and Wellman all you want. But firing coaches back to back after 3 years would have been program suicide. There will be no debate after this year.

There are a lot of reasons that Andy Enfield can't win this year at USC. JT strikes me as the least of those reasons. Having Pe'Shon Howard at starting PG and having to play DJ Haley (Dre-like) extended minutes, on the other hand... Seriously, watch a USC game and get back to me. If Buzz inherited a bad situation, then Enfield inherited a miserable one.

As to your second, unrelated point: [Redacted] in year four may turn out to be program suicide, so pick your poison, I guess?

I don't know if this matters. If a new coach goes 19-13 his first year, he looks a lot better if it's coming off a 15-17 than coming off a 17-15 season. When all the candidates were mentioned to replace Grobe, you always saw how their programs did right before they got there. When you turn around a dumpster fire, you can command more $ and respect.

I think coaches in general prefer spots when they can hit the ground running. I could definitely see a coach viewing the job a bit differently coming off an 18-15 season with some pieces coming back compared to if we are a program that finished losers 11 of last 12 games and the team quit down the stretch.

There are a lot of reasons that Andy Enfield can't win this year at USC. JT strikes me as the least of those reasons. Having Pe'Shon Howard at starting PG and having to play DJ Haley (Dre-like) extended minutes, on the other hand... Seriously, watch a USC game and get back to me. If Buzz inherited a bad situation, then Enfield inherited a miserable one.

As to your second, unrelated point: [Redacted] in year four may turn out to be program suicide, so pick your poison, I guess?

I'm not defending Buzz's performance, but I believe, statistically speaking, JTT's best year was under Buzz. Anyway, as to the second point, this is completely off. Giving a coach into his sophomore year with his biggest recruiting class is not program suicide. Yanking the hook on two coaches after three years sends a message to all future coaches - you get 3 years. No good coach wants that precedent.

There are other reasons why firing Bz last year was not the best time to let him go.

We still had Grobe's 3.5 million dollar + contract on the books for the foreseeable future. If Grobe would have made a bowl game this year like expected, then he would still be here drawing that huge paycheck. Bz's buyout would have been higher as well. The increased ACC tv money, bowl money and college football play off money would be further away as well. You would have also had to deal with bigger fish looking for a coach like UCLA.

I agree giving Bz the 4th year was helpful to potential candidates because of the percieved instability issues going back to back three year firings could create. If we had removed Bz last year, I think Shaka and Marshall would have been less likely to move and virutally unobtainable for us given the finicial situation. Enfield would have been our best option and it will take a few years to fairly judge how he will do in a Power League.

I'm not defending Buzz's performance, but I believe, statistically speaking, JTT's best year was under Buzz. Anyway, as to the second point, this is completely off. Giving a coach into his sophomore year with his biggest recruiting class is not program suicide. Yanking the hook on two coaches after three years sends a message to all future coaches - you get 3 years. No good coach wants that precedent.

95% of your posts are about bashing the 2010 recruiting class. Which one took your girl?

Didn't realize how bad USC is. Pe'Shon Howard and JT are their #2 and #3 scorers. Looks like USC competes though. 7 of USC's last 8 losses have been by 13 points or less. 15 of Wake's 16 (including ACCT) conference losses in Year 1 were by at least 14 points.

A truly good coach would have the self-confidence to know that 3 years was plenty of time to make a program his own.

When Dino Gaudio got fired he had a consensus Top 10 recruiting class locked up. Obviously, it didn't turn out that way but that's how it was projected.

Kevin O'Neill, on the other hand, was one of the worst recruiters major college basketball has seen in a long time. He's worse than Bz.

It's simply not a fair comparison.

I didn't know there was such a thing, but there is a NIT bubble website. They list Wake as being considered, but not in.
http://www.nycbuckets.com/2014/02/nit-bracketology-feb-24/

That's before any of the college regular season champs start taking slots, which is usually 6-8. Those last 8-10 teams they have in the field are bubble teams.

Our current RPI is 99 and except Duke, will will play several teams with poor RPIs.

Going 19-15, which would involve us beating BC and Maryland while losing to Duke and then winning 2 ACCT games, would only have us at 91. That would be the edge of discussion.

Last edited:
...and we aren't going to beat Maryland. Or win 2 games in the tournament.

That's before any of the college regular season champs start taking slots, which is usually 6-8. Those last 8-10 teams they have in the field are bubble teams.

Our current RPI is 99 and except Duke, will will play several teams with poor RPIs.

Going 19-15, which would involve us beating BC and Miami while losing to Duke and then winning 2 ACCT games, would only have us at 91. That would be the edge of discussion.

FIFY....and still don't see a win at Miami.

All this talk about coaches' perception is just nonsense. All Wellman has to do is get a great coach in a room, and say "I had to let Dino go for X...kept it private and he got paid. Timing was bad and we didn't get who we wanted, had to take a Hail Mary on Bz. It's a disaster after two years. It's clearly not going to work. He will get paid also. Now, here's a shit ton of money...go beat Duke, Carolina, Syracuse and Pitt, and enjoy your #1 seed."

Wellman wasted too much time trying not to be perceived as a fuck up.

From Jaybone's posting history I'm starting to think he has some repressed desire for cock and the taste of his own shit. I wonder how many times JB has been blowing cock while tasting his own shit. I'm willing to take bets at 17.5.

In no particular order, jb favors cleveland steamers, rusty trombones, dirty sanchezes, donkey punches, pink socks, alabama hot pockets, blumpkins, angry pirates, tony danzas, boston pancakes, abe lincolns, angry dragons and hot lunches.

But his absolute favorite, with apologies to RJK, is a a Hot Karl.

In no particular order, jb favors cleveland steamers, rusty trombones, dirty sanchezes, donkey punches, pink socks, alabama hot pockets, blumpkins, angry pirates, tony danzas, boston pancakes, abe lincolns, angry dragons and hot lunches.

But his absolute favorite, with apologies to RJK, is a a Hot Karl.

Ha ha I deleted that post because I thought it was crude. Meant it as a funny response to jb's discussion about eating his own shit...which was funny.

Back