• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Bracketology--Wake On the Bubble

There's no doubt this is currently a bubble team. Doesn't mean that will be the case at the end of the season, but it's still so much more fun than what we've recently been stuck with.

That's the first Bracketology I have looked at since the Bzzzzzzz era began.

I'm still wrapping my head around this. Blows my mind we're legitimately on the bubble and could spend February talking about playing ourselves away from the First Four in Dayton.

I'm still wrapping my head around this. Blows my mind we're legitimately on the bubble and could spend February talking about playing ourselves away from the First Four in Dayton.

It's been awhile since we've been able to sit in front of the TV on selection Sunday in anxious anticipation of finding out which region we're in and who we're playing. This team can get there and that's a big improvement over the last 5 years.

Can we lobby to get McKie another year of eligibility?

Only two months and 15 conference games away. The tension is overwhelming.

17 conference games.

For the sake of this argument can we assume that we win roughly half of our ACC conference games, win 1 game in the ACC Touney, and finish the season with record of 19-13. However, we get either an #11 or #12 seed in the NCAA tourney and are knocked out in the 1st round. On the other hand, we get either a #1 or #2 seed in the NIT, and make at least the Final 4 with a possiblty of winning the NIT. We are such a young team that the majority of them will play together for the following 2 seasonss; therefore, wouldn't it be better from an experience POV for this team and DM to learn how to win in the Postseason?

Think about this, this team had to learn not only how to win games, but win close games. Last year that was something we were unable to do. However, this season we have learned how to win the close games that we were losing last year. Furthermore, we have taken this a step further by winning close games both on the Road and on Netural Courts, which is a whole other manner than learning how to win games. The Postseason is basically the same thing, we have to learn how to win with the pressure and the intensity of the atmosphere surrounding those types of games.

Personally, I'd rather see this team go deep in the NIT this season, then next year make the NCAA win a game, and 2 years from now have a chance to make a real run in the NCAAs. I understand the NIT isn't the NCAA, but from my POV assuming we lose in the 1st Rd of the NCAA tourney there is very little benefit other than showing the country that WFU BBall is on its way back.

For the sake of this argument can we assume that we win roughly half of our ACC conference games, win 1 game in the ACC Touney, and finish the season with record of 19-13. However, we get either an #11 or #12 seed in the NCAA tourney and are knocked out in the 1st round. On the other hand, we get either a #1 or #2 seed in the NIT, and make at least the Final 4 with a possiblty of winning the NIT. We are such a young team that the majority of them will play together for the following 2 seasons; therefore, wouldn't it be better from an experience POV for this team and DM to learn how to win in the Postseason?

Think about this, this team had to learn not only how to win games, but win close games. Last year that was something we were unable to do. However, this season we have learned how to win the close games that we were losing last year. Furthermore, we have taken this a step further by winning close games both on the Road and on Netural Courts, which is a whole other manner than learning how to win games. The Postseason is basically the same thing, we have to learn how to win with the pressure and the intensity of the atmosphere surrounding those types of games.

Personally, I'd rather see this team go deep in the NIT this season, then next year make the NCAA win a game, and 2 years from now have a chance to make a real run in the NCAAs. I understand the NIT isn't the NCAA, but from my POV assuming we lose in the 1st Rd of the NCAA tourney there is very little benefit other than showing the country that WFU BBall is on its way back.

I'd rather get an NCAA tourney bid and play a neutral site game against a 5/6 seed type team which we've beaten already this season.

Big Dance, 100%. DT and CMM are not playing for NIT and they deserve better.

ESPN Bracketology--Wake first team out

How do we expect Manning to recruit top players with "we played more games because we made the NIT?"

No question it's a better story for Manning to say he came into this train wreck and by his second year got us into the Dance. Number of games played, experience, etc, doesn't matter as far as where this team wants to be.

Give me that 12 seed all day. We'd be a trendy pick for all the right reasons for once.

Back