• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

I choose to think this is the case.
It comes across as a pretty transparent case of it too. I mean, one tournament title and NCAA one and done and you're getting courted by an ACC team? Who, with a rational AD at their school, would believe that?

FIFY

I choose to think this is the case.
It comes across as a pretty transparent case of it too. I mean, one tournament title and NCAA one and done and you're getting courted by an ACC team? Who would believe that?

I mean, isn't BC about to interview St. Bonnie's coach? (Or maybe they already did.) Hopkins and Wojo have also been thrown out as candidates for the Marquette job, so we're not the only high-major program "linked" to a coach with little if any success as a HC in the NCAA tournament.

The fact that this leak came from "a source close to the process" means that, just like Mack, it was intentional.
As in: we obviously haven't released much, so there's no downside to letting people know we're interested in a mid-major coach who's a good guy, has an NBA pedigree, connections to the Triad, and some level of potential.
As in: we're trying to push our other candidates toward making decisions.
As in: if we wanted to lock Manning down, we wouldn't have leaked anything.

This. I'm not buying this intentionally leaked b-s.

I don't think Manning would be a bad hire in terms of how it would work out. It is my opinion that he would be a winner. I am very anxious that we hire someone with a winning history. Manning played for a winner in college and he was on a winning staff. He knows how to win.

It would be a risky hire in the sense that the fan base would not be overly enthusiastic. It would further the divide. Wake needs a unifying hire. Manning would not be it.

I mean, isn't BC about to interview St. Bonnie's coach? (Or maybe they already did.) Hopkins and Wojo have also been thrown out as candidates for the Marquette job, so we're not the only high-major program "linked" to a coach with little if any success as a HC in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah we should defs set our aspirations at a level commensurate to freaking BC basketball, when every neutral party with a pulse is saying we need a home run hire. Absurd.

Jeff Goodman, ESPN should divulge his sources as per his timely article. Would be interesting to all board participants.

Manning would not be a bad hire, IMO. However, it would be something of a risk. His body of work as a coach is very small to land a job in the ACC.

You have to hand it to Wellman, he controls leaks very well apparently. I have yet to read a report that has proven valid. No one outside of the administration seems to have a clue as to what is going on!

It's the definition of insanity

Replace manning with [Redacted] and this is what you posted 4 years ago

Manning would be an awful awful hire for a fanbase that is desperately in need of a proven winner.

And I have to think that the influential donors, who allegedly gave Ron Wellman the firepower to make a big time hire, would be pretty miffed if this is the best Wellman could do.

This is the ACC and we are throwing around numbers in the 2M-3M range as a budget for a big time coach. We simply cannot settle for an unproven coach with so little on his resume, even if he does speak well. :rolleyes:

Can we replace the fireworks on the banner with a crying Deacon now?

Manning would be an awful awful hire for a fanbase that is desperately in need of a proven winner.

And I have to think that the influential donors, who allegedly gave Ron Wellman the firepower to make a big time hire, would be pretty miffed if this is the best Wellman could do.

This is the ACC and we are throwing around numbers in the 2M-3M range as a budget for a big time coach. We simply cannot settle for an unproven coach with so little on his resume, even if he does speak well. :rolleyes:

I think this is becoming a referendum on Wellman. If Manning is the best he can dig up, Wellman needs to be shown the door. Like, yesterday.

This is where I am, but I would ask what is Wellman supposed to do if he offers a ton of cash to coaches who just turn us down? It's RW's fault we're in this position, no doubt, but he can't force coaches to accept our offers. Manning may very well be the best we can do.

Also, do remember that RW only lets information out that he wants let out. He could be testing the waters to determine whether he needs to rethink his strategy.

This is where I am, but I would ask what is Wellman supposed to do if he offers a ton of cash to coaches who just turn us down? It's RW's fault we're in this position, no doubt, but he can't force coaches to accept our offers. Manning may very well be the best we can do.

Also, do remember that RW only lets information out that he wants let out. He could be testing the waters to determine whether he needs to rethink his strategy.

I can answer that. Wellman should look in the mirror. HE IS THE PROBLEM!

At that point you remove Wellman, hire a new AD, and let them conduct the search. If coaches are turning down the money we are throwing at them, a lack of desire to work for Wellman has to be considered.

True. I try to be objective as possible when it comes to Wellman (I was using Bz's long leash as a positive in a coaching search), but I've heard enough about Wellman to know he's not the gem we once thought he was.

It's the definition of insanity

Replace manning with [Redacted] and this is what you posted 4 years ago

I'm hoping this is more misdirection from Wake, but Manning would be miles better than Bzzz was four years ago. Manning is a proven winner, Bzzz was/is a proven loser.

Please!!! Danny Manning has not proven anything worth being in the ACC about... Com-on-Man!!!!!! Fuck!!! I'm so disappointed in hearing this shit... I got on hear at the end of the evening hoping to see some good news... I figured Howland and I would be fine with that if we can't get Shaka or Marshall... I hope this is about Mannings peeps trying to make him look good and not Wake truly being interested...

I'm hoping this is more misdirection from Wake, but Manning would be miles better than Bzzz was four years ago. Manning is a proven winner, Bzzz was/is a proven loser.

Back