• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

True. I try to be objective as possible when it comes to Wellman (I was using Bz's long leash as a positive in a coaching search), but I've heard enough about Wellman to know he's not the gem we once thought he was.

Didn't take inside knowledge to know that. He got way too much credit and leeway for going to Ohio and hiring Grobe and Skip.

Can people please stop pointing to the past as any sort of defense for a hire of a Danny Manning type coach? The situation when we hired Odom and Prosser is entirely different than it is now. Back then we hadn't just watched an ACC bottom feeder break the bank for Buzz Williams. The playing field is entirely different now. We are willing to go for a big name and we should land one. Failure to do so falls squarely on Wellman.

I'm down on Wellman like most everyone else. He certainly needs to redeem himself and make up for his Bzz blunder.

ESPN says Danny Manning being seriously considered for WAKE FOREST job

And I'm not sure why people keep talking about Wellman making this hire.

It was debatable if Wellman would pursue Shaka. Maybe Archie but only due to making the Elite Eight and ACC ties. There's no question he wouldn't pursue Manning.

He's not running this search.

My theory? The real search committee met in West Palm Beach this weekend.

And I'm not sure why people keep talking about Wellman making this hire.

It was debatable if Wellman would pursue Shaka. Maybe Archie but only due to making the Elite Eight and ACC ties. There's no question he wouldn't pursue Manning.

He's not running this search.

My theory? The real search committee met in West Palm Beach this weekend.

It's plausible. I'm wondering just how many people are actively involved in the inner workings of this search.

I don't think it's a glorious job, but for 3 million, and low short term pressure for a big name hire, the ACC (which I think is huge now), it is a decent job..

No doubt but it has been such a bizarre situation over the last 6 years. We had a coach, that was winning games and getting to the tourney, fired off of 2 straight appearances. Then they bring in a shit bag coach and keep him around for 4 years of no success. In addition to that, you have an uprising from the fan base (which I support and agree with 100%). It is a very good job but would look much better if Wellman's face and imprint wasn't on it.

I said it in the winter, I have 0 faith in Wellman's ability to hire a coach. I don't think Manning would be as bad as a lot of people are stating on here. I do agree that we should absolutely be able to get something better but if we are being shot down by everyone, he very well may be the best we can do. And if that is the case, Ronald should be fired.

While many of us on this board would like to believe it is a good job (I still believe this), the reality is the outside world may not view it in the same light (likely because of Wellman).

That's exactly why I have been saying we need to overpay for this position. Show the world, reporters, coaches, recruits, and fans that WFU is committed to winning basketball and competing in the ACC. Yes Shaka may not be worth 3 million but if it takes 3.5 or 3.75 to bring him in, it makes a HUGE statement to college hoops that WFU is for real. If he doesn't bite for that, then we over pay for Marshall or Howland and MAKE the WFU job something worth taking.

The fan base can't take an unproven coach at this point...get out the checkbook Ron and get a proven winner. Don't see how VT can pull it off and wake can't.

That's exactly why I have been saying we need to overpay for this position. Show the world, reporters, coaches, recruits, and fans that WFU is committed to winning basketball and competing in the ACC. Yes Shaka may not be worth 3 million but if it takes 3.5 or 3.75 to bring him in, it makes a HUGE statement to college hoops that WFU is for real. If he doesn't bite for that, then we over pay for Marshall or Howland and MAKE the WFU job something worth taking.

I would agree with this.

At this point a top tier coach at 3 million will be a great investment. Wake fans are hungry to support a team that at least has potential

Can't wait to hear all the media spout off more bull shit like "what a great hire! Seriously, you guys are really lucky to have Manning!"

It's a bull shit medal you get for participation "really we know you didn't win but you should really be glad you got the chance to play".

If we hire Manning I'm done. This is surreal. I say name Battle as interim coach until one of the A players pulls their head out of their ass and accepts the $5M per year the big donors who fired Dino are going to pony up to get us out of this Bzdaster. And if Battle is half the coach I think he is we save megabucks and get the program back on track.

Anyone who thinks Manning is a better option than Battle is insane. And that is where this search is going if half the things rumored are true.

I don't care if it's $5M. The big donors gave us Bz and they can give us Shaka or Wright or an ATeam coach for $5M and pony up for the four years of misery they gave us or they can sit in that arena they bought in their box with no fans and watch perpetual losers for another four years. I won't be watching because the ESPN3 feed sucks donkey balls.

Back