• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

If we hire Manning I'm done. This is surreal. I say name Battle as interim coach until one of the A players pulls their head out of their ass and accepts the $5M per year the big donors who fired Dino are going to pony up to get us out of this Bzdaster. And if Battle is half the coach I think he is we save megabucks and get the program back on track.

Anyone who thinks Manning is a better option than Battle is insane. And that is where this search is going if half the things rumored are true.

I am sorry but Jeff Battle was part of the last 4 years. I am not saying he was all of the problem but if he was a good coach we wouldn't have looked like such a shit show these past 4 years.

I am sorry but Jeff Battle was part of the last 4 years. I am not saying he was all of the problem but if he was a good coach we wouldn't have looked like such a shit show these past 4 years.

Jeff Battle had nothing to say about the direction of this program under Bz. Battle was retained for recruiting and that is it. And that is probably all he wanted. If we can't line up an A level coach then let's let Battle take this Sophomore group to the house for two years and see what shakes down and save a ton of coin. Better that than hire some B-list coach for $2M a year. It's time to think outside the box... unless Wellman is stringing us along and has Jay Wright in a giant fucking cake he's going to roll out on Friday afternoon.

Jeff Battle had nothing to say about the direction of this program under Bz. Battle was retained for recruiting and that is it. And that is probably all he wanted. If we can't line up an A level coach then let's let Battle take this Sophomore group to the house for two years and see what shakes down and save a ton of coin. Better that than hire some B-list coach for $2M a year. It's time to think outside the box... unless Wellman is stringing us along and has Jay Wright in a giant fucking cake he's going to roll out on Friday afternoon.

If battle was responsible for the recruiting we have seen over the last 4 years, then that should be enough to show him the door. I am sure he is a great man, but I want no one that was associated with the previous regime.

And I'm not sure why people keep talking about Wellman making this hire.

It was debatable if Wellman would pursue Shaka. Maybe Archie but only due to making the Elite Eight and ACC ties. There's no question he wouldn't pursue Manning.

He's not running this search.

My theory? The real search committee met in West Palm Beach this weekend.

That's a pretty big wasted trip of private planes and other resources if all we end up with from it is Danny Manning. We could have gotten him with a Skype call and a Paypal account. That is what is so laughable about this whole fiasco. Ron Wellman is running around like he is protecting cold war secrets, and we are going to end up with a guy who nobody else wants and who would take an under-market offer. Meanwhile VaTech just ate his lunch.

That's a pretty big wasted trip of private planes and other resources if all we end up with from it is Danny Manning. We could have gotten him with a Skype call and a Paypal account. That is what is so laughable about this whole fiasco. Ron Wellman is running around like he is protecting cold war secrets, and we are going to end up with a guy who nobody else wants and who would take an under-market offer. Meanwhile VaTech just ate his lunch.

+1. "playing it close to the vest" isn't an end to itself. hiring a good coach is supposed to be the end.

let's all take a deep breath here.

it is obvious that our next coach is still coaching in the NCAA tourney, so we must just be patient.

Honestly, I don't think we know ANYTHING with certainty. We've heard a few nebulous rumors floating about, but really, we don't know their validity. For all I know, we're still working on getting Shaka.

I think part of the problem is that fear, once instilled, is very difficult to overcome. The last time our basketball program was in this position, the result of the hiring process was an abject failure -- nothing short of a disaster. It's hard to get over the notion, driven by our fear, that this will happen again. When we hear a snippet that Manning is being considered, we have a panic attack. (I know I did.)

I'm still hopeful we pull a fluffy, healthy rabbit out of the hat. I'm concerned the process is taking this long, as I'd much rather have the wham-bam-thankyoumaam process VT pulled off. I'm with tbird and PhDeac, though...Ron Wellman is having his hand held this time, and held very tightly. The powers that be recognize what a failing basketball program does to the entire school, and they want to save this program. They are going to do everything they can to make that happen. I'm trying to trust them.

Breathe.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think we know ANYTHING with certainty.

You're 100% correct. We don't really know anything except the entire fan base has no confidence in Wellman making a good hire. I think that says a lot about his last hire.

Learned helplessness results from experiencing uncontrollable events that cause individuals to expect future lack of control. It is characterized by decreased motivation, failure to learn, and negative emotions such as sadness, anxiety, and frustration.

Thanks Bz

Or maybe people should just listen when Ron said the process would take awhile, for whatever reason, and just presume he wasn't just outright lying to us.

Or maybe people should just listen when Ron said the process would take awhile, for whatever reason, and just presume he wasn't just outright lying to us.

Why would anyone assume that after the last 4 years? Hell, he kicked the process off with a string of lies at the bye bye Buzz press conference.

Honestly, I don't think we know ANYTHING with certainty. We've heard a few nebulous rumors floating about, but really, we don't know their validity. For all I know, we're still working on getting Shaka.

I think part of the problem is that fear, once instilled, is very difficult to overcome. The last time our basketball program was in this position, the result of the hiring process was an abject failure -- nothing short of a disaster. It's hard to get over the notion, driven by our fear, that this will happen again. When we hear a snippet that Manning is being considered, we have a panic attack. (I know I did.)

I'm still hopeful we pull a fluffy, healthy rabbit out of the hat. I'm concerned the process is taking this long, as I'd much rather have the wham-bam-thankyoumaam process VT pulled off. I'm with tbird and PhDeac, though...Ron Wellman is having his hand held this time, and held very tightly. The powers that be recognize what a failing basketball program does to the entire school, and they want to save this program. They are going to do everything they can to make that happen. I'm trying to trust them.

Breathe.

Recognizing what a failing hoops program does to the school, and making a great hire happen do not necessarily go hand in hand. It could well have played out like this: We put all of our eggs in the Smart basket and told Buzz Williams to wait while we check out our preferred candidates. VT puts the full court press on Buzz and say you're our guy, no one else, and here's the $$, so Buzz goes there. We don't get Smart (and Ron plays the part of Don Adams), and now Chairman Ron and/or his committee is flailing. We then call Gregg Marshall a week into the process and say we wanted him all along? Prolly just pisses him off, even if we say we'll throw $3mil per his way. Which leaves Miller. While I can see Shaka and wife wanting to stay in Richmond over Winston, ain't no way any sane couple from the NC area wouldn't want to get the hell out of Dayton for Winston. I'd be astonished if Miller wouldn't come to Winston for $2-2.5mil per. But it seems now we're already talking to Mack and Manning, or at least floating their names.

I frankly think it's more likely that Ron and/or his committee are flailing after missing out on Smart and don't have a good plan B than it is they're going to make a program saving hire (Marshall or Miller). We know Ron has impaired judgment because he hired Buzzdick 4 years ago, and Amaker was plan B on his wish list this time around. Maybe he doesn't even call Marshall and Miller. I morbidly look forward to hearing from our insiders who we called and offered and who we didn't after this process is ended.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell we would hire Buzz Williams. The guy builds his programs with Jucos.

Might be an issue with Marshall here as well. If I was a coach that relied on Jucos, I would be hesitant to go to a school that doesn't allow them.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell we would hire Buzz Williams. The guy builds his programs with Jucos.

So you let VT make a better hire than we're going to make?!? This isn't football. Effectively, VT has thrown down the gauntlet and set our hiring bar. If we don't make a better hire than VT after spending the last 4 years in the Wilderness with Buzzdick, we may have compromised our hoops future for the long haul. Could be worse than State after Les Robinson.

Versus hiring somebody whose recruiting philosophy is completely at odds with the university. Absolutely.

Buzz Williams might have success at VT, but it is unlikely he would at Wake with the recruiting restrictions.

I would much rather hire a coach that has a chance to be successful here than a name sugar rush that makes all of the fans happy, but would certainly be doomed to failure.

Last edited:
Sounds like a repeat of 4 years ago. We had no plan B when we couldn't land Brad Stevens. Then floundered, then went after Buzz in an act of desperation.

Recognizing what a failing hoops program does to the school, and making a great hire happen do not necessarily go hand in hand. It could well have played out like this: We put all of our eggs in the Smart basket and told Buzz Williams to wait while we check out our preferred candidates. VT puts the full court press on Buzz and say you're our guy, no one else, and here's the $$, so Buzz goes there. We don't get Smart (and Ron plays the part of Don Adams), and now Chairman Ron and/or his committee is flailing. We then call Gregg Marshall a week into the process and say we wanted him all along? Prolly just pisses him off, even if we say we'll throw $3mil per his way. Which leaves Miller. While I can see Shaka and wife wanting to stay in Richmond over Winston, ain't no way any sane couple from the NC area wouldn't want to get the hell out of Dayton for Winston. I'd be astonished if Miller wouldn't come to Winston for $2-2.5mil per. But it seems now we're already talking to Mack and Manning, or at least floating their names.

I frankly think it's more likely that Ron and/or his committee are flailing after missing out on Smart and don't have a good plan B than it is they're going to make a program saving hire (Marshall or Miller). We know Ron has impaired judgment because he hired Buzzdick 4 years ago, and Amaker was plan B on his wish list this time around. Maybe he doesn't even call Marshall and Miller. I morbidly look forward to hearing from our insiders who we called and offered and who we didn't after this process is ended.

After sleeping on it, I've warmed to the idea of Manning.

Back