• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN suspends Grantland effective immediately

In 15 years, they'll do a 30 For 30 called Whatever Happened To Grantland?

@BillSimmons: I loved everyone I worked with at G and loved what we built. Watching good/kind/talented people get treated so callously = simply appalling.

Shots already fired.

@BillSimmons: I loved everyone I worked with at G and loved what we built. Watching good/kind/talented people get treated so callously = simply appalling.

Shots already fired.

I mean I get this, but also what else was ESPN supposed to do? There's no good way to let a large staff know that you are going to be shutting down their site.

And I don't really blame ESPN for shutting down Grantland, even though I loved it. It was losing a lot of money, and was kind of rudderless with Simmons gone

Shots already fired.

He orchestrated the four editors leaving. Word is that he told them their employment with HBO was contingent on them not letting the other staffers know. If that's true he's got as much blood on his hands as ESPN.

I mean I get this, but also what else was ESPN supposed to do? There's no good way to let a large staff know that you are going to be shutting down their site.

And I don't really blame ESPN for shutting down Grantland, even though I loved it. It was losing a lot of money, and was kind of rudderless with Simmons gone

Why not use email? Texts? Any private communication?

They had an in-person meeting with all of the full-time staff members...the only people who found out via other means were part-time contributors. That seems good enough to me

They had an in-person meeting with all of the full-time staff members...the only people who found out via other means were part-time contributors. That seems good enough to me

I read Simmons' Tweet as referring to the fact that they are hanging people out to dry by shutting the site down. But like I said, I think ESPN has plenty of reasons to shut it down. It probably makes more sense to shut it down than keep it going from a business perspective

As soon as they got ride of Simmons, Grantland made no sense for ESPN. Then everyone left, and you had Andy Greenwald sitting there awkwardly as the last pop culture guy in the green room. Makes sense to shutter it. Again, will be interesting to see if Simmons creates Grantland 2.0 somewhere.

Back