• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN suspends Grantland effective immediately

I think this pretty much secures Deadspin's hold on that corner of sports/entertainment journalism, though. I'd love to see a couple of the Grantland writers land at the Concourse or Adequate Man.

Edit: the thing they're most lacking is TV coverage to pair with Grierson and Leitch. I guess music coverage, too, but Leslie Horn has started to write a little bit about music, and I think they said they planned on getting the Concourse into music journalism soonish.

they didn't do the classic 5 PM friday thing either, the noobs

CSljQECUEAAG7WG.jpg

Greenwald's last day was going to be Wednesday. He is writing a book and has some other stuff lined up.

ESPN loves Lowe, imagine he will be folded into their existing NBA coverage.

Barnwell and Keri...remains to be seen.

Think most everyone else is likely gone.

Be interesting to see how many of these remaining Grantland staffers end up at HBO or whatever web site Simmons ends up creating. If this means Hollywood Prospectus podcast with Greenwald and Ryan can now resume on a different site, I'm in full support.

Greenwald's last day was going to be Wednesday. He is writing a book and has some other stuff lined up.

ESPN loves Lowe, imagine he will be folded into their existing NBA coverage.

Barnwell and Keri...remains to be seen.

Think most everyone else is likely gone.

I'm not sure ESPN's NBA coverage is a good fit for Lowe on TV. I really liked the Grantland Basketball Hour.

I wonder if Ben Lindbergh will remain at ESPN or return to Baseball Prospectus. Kind of weird in that he was the EIC there.

Jonah Keri is on Baseball Tonight from time to time, so I assume he'll stay on at ESPN.

It seems like their pay scale is out of whack when you pay a part-time guy(JG) over 5 mil per year.

James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 7m7 minutes ago

Have been told per @espn sources decisions about @Grantland33 podcasts "not clear." Conversations w/those individuals happening right now.

It seems like their pay scale is out of whack when you pay a part-time guy(JG) over 5 mil per year.

they realized live sports was their lifeline but started way overspending on rights.

they pay 2 billion a year for MNF. NBC pays half of that for SNF and gets better ratings. and they're just about to triple what they currently spend on NBA.

2a8hrwi.jpg

How can a network dependent on Farmers Only and Fan Duel be in such rough shape?

This is about the least surprising thing ever. ESPN is cutting costs everywhere and Grantland was so Simmons-driven. Didn't really make sense to have it without him

Simmons has made it pretty clear that he and Zach wont be working together for a while on his pods, and Zach also has a wife/kid, so the amount of money ESPN can give him will likely be too much to turn down.

I think that a lot of the younger guys (Barnwell, Mays, others), will likely tell ESPN to go F themselves and work for other places. They are both young, single, and likely super pissed at ESPN.

Back