• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EU to end Daylight Savings

the greatest thing Trump could do for his legacy is make DST permanent

Hopefully they'll get rid of that silly metric system too.

the greatest thing Trump could do for his legacy is make DST permanent

Seriously. What would the polling look like on this? Is anyone actually in favor of days getting dark at 5pm? This would be such an easy win

Is there some actual monetary or other legitimate/current reason for the annual time changes? Or is the same thing as states having random-ass laws on their books like requiring ducks to wear pants on Sundays?

Is there some actual monetary or other legitimate/current reason for the annual time changes? Or is the same thing as states having random-ass laws on their books like requiring ducks to wear pants on Sundays?

Its usage is a 20th C phenomena, usually in war time to extend daylight into the evening. During the energy crisis, it was used conceivably to save energy/money; but that has been an iffy proposition in hindsight.
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

I like DST, but recently in the Triangle several kids have been fatally hit by cars while walking to school/bus stop. Have to wonder if having more light ~7am would have saved lives.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article228217119.html

DST is dumb, but I don't think it has much to do with pedestrian deaths one way or another. Pedestrian deaths are way up across the country, mainly because of bad road design compounded by phone distraction and the fact that such a large percentage of American cars are huge deadly SUVs. https://www.npr.org/2019/03/28/706481382/why-pedestrian-deaths-are-at-a-30-year-high

All that and people jaywalking.

People jaywalk primarily because of bad road design. It's especially prevalent in poor, minority neighborhoods, which tend to be exactly the places that were cut in pieces by large road construction projects in the middle of the last century. The east side (which is the poorer, more African American side) of Greensboro is a great example of this. The historic neighborhoods were chopped up by big four lane stroads, where the crosswalks are 1/4 mile or more apart. So it's no surprise that people don't want to walk a half mile or more out of their way.

FWIW, when I see people jaywalking, they are not on their phones, they're watching the cars and trying not to get killed. The people in the cars are the ones who are texting, talking, and what have you.

I could derail this thread further with some history on how "jaywalking" was invented by automobile manufacturers to establish dominance for their products on the public streets.

yeah, it was but we needed to normalize the road space for large, powerful vehicles somehow

People jaywalk primarily because of bad road design. It's especially prevalent in poor, minority neighborhoods, which tend to be exactly the places that were cut in pieces by large road construction projects in the middle of the last century. The east side (which is the poorer, more African American side) of Greensboro is a great example of this. The historic neighborhoods were chopped up by big four lane stroads, where the crosswalks are 1/4 mile or more apart. So it's no surprise that people don't want to walk a half mile or more out of their way.

FWIW, when I see people jaywalking, they are not on their phones, they're watching the cars and trying not to get killed. The people in the cars are the ones who are texting, talking, and what have you.

I could derail this thread further with some history on how "jaywalking" was invented by automobile manufacturers to establish dominance for their products on the public streets.

So . . . they're jaywalking ?

So . . . they're jaywalking ?

Keep trolling, but I find it interesting to explore the reasons behind why people do the things they do, as opposed to just concluding that all behaviors that mildly inconvenience my privileged affluent white life are bad or morally wrong.

I think I've told this story before but I got stopped by a cop for jaywalking in Lawrence Massachusetts (and for anyone who has been there - you know they have far better things to do than stop someone for jaywalking).

I felt like I was in some fever dream when his lights came on and asked where I was headed.

Keep trolling, but I find it interesting to explore the reasons behind why people do the things they do, as opposed to just concluding that all behaviors that mildly inconvenience my privileged affluent white life are bad or morally wrong.

Yes, getting splattered on my windshield is a mild inconvenience.

texting and driving is a problem but popping out between parked vehicles on a busy street b/c you don't want to walk an extra 100' to the crosswalk is not some sort of right

Back