• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EU to end Daylight Savings

texting and driving is a problem but popping out between parked vehicles on a busy street b/c you don't want to walk an extra 100' to the crosswalk is not some sort of right

Nobody said it was. However, if a lot of people are jaywalking and getting killed, maybe the solution is not to automatically blame all the stupid jaywalkers (important note: the jaywalkers are generally poor minorities, the people blaming them are usually not) but to take a hard look at how the road is designed and see if we can make it safer for ALL citizens, not just the ones cruising along in their Yukons.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't blame someone who decides to cross ten lanes of fast moving vehicle traffic, including express bus lanes, and hop a median wall in the dark, like some guy did on East Independence Boulevard/US Highway 74 last fall.

2j0fl2a.jpg

Then there is obviously a need for safe pedestrian options across that road, that the city should address. Thanks for supporting my point, I guess.

Along with the need to get people to stop waking across a highway in the meantime.

A couple of thoughts on this continuing derail I have created:
1. pedestrians certainly do dumb and lazy things. I almost ran over a woman a while back because she was casually strolling across a 4-lane downtown street. There were lights and crosswalks within 25 yards of either side of her, she just couldn't be bothered. That kind of jaywalking is lazy and obnoxious and puts everyone at risk.
2. a person who is willing to walk across the stroad pictured above must have a reason that seems pretty compelling to that person. Dodging fast moving cars and climbing a median is not easy and implies a real lack of good options. The fact that people apparently are doing this regularly is a strong argument that something needs to change about the street.
3. The area pictured above is a classic "stroad". That means it's trying to be both a street (a place that is lined with destinations) and a road (a fast way to travel between two destinations). There are businesses all up and down both sides of this thing that people need to get to, whether because they work there or are customers. But the stroad has been designed so it's very dangerous to cross. In addition to being dangerous for pedestrians, I bet this area also sees a high frequency of traffic accidents as people pull in and out of the driveways into fast moving traffic or are distracted because they're trying to find their destination. Stroads suck for everyone.

Last edited:
Independence blvd is even worse than that description, it’s a Charlotte stroad (choad?) that was converted into an expressway lined by dead businesses.

Come drive in downtown and midtown Atlanta and tell me that it’s not the jaywalkers that are the problem.

Atlanta is the problem

actively avoided building any sort of public transit solutions for decades

car-centric hellscape

Atlanta built a subway system in the 80's. People just prefer cars there. They don't even have sidewalks in a lot of neighborhoods.

Back