• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Europeans got here before Native Americans?

I stopped reading at "paddled over from Europe". Seriously?

So can we bring back this guy now?

nocahoma2.jpg

nocahoma1.jpg

If you had kept reading you would have gotten to the part where they discussed the fact that significant portions of the Atlantic were frozen and they paddled along the edge of an ice shelf, which they basically treated as a coast line as they paddled along.

Do you watch episodes of Deadliest Catch and dismiss the possibility that someone was able to walk/canoe across that area thousands of years ago?

They didn't paddle along the ice shelf. They rode their dinosaurs.

I'm not dismissing anything. Humans are amazing animals. It would just be very, very tough, and very unlikely.

While large patches of ice might make the Atlantic somewhat more navigable, the flipside is that if large portions of the Atlantic were frozen, then it would be really, really, fucking cold. So yeah, pack up your 22,000 year old technology, get in your 22,000 year old boat, and set out on a 3500 mile journey in ice age temps. Throw in some of those storms that are on the Deadliest Catch that kill sailors in steel boats. Im sure food will be easy to come by as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm not dismissing anything. Humans are amazing animals. It would just be very, very tough, and very unlikely.

While large patches of ice might make the Atlantic somewhat more navigable, the flipside is that if large portions of the Atlantic were frozen, then it would be really, really, fucking cold. So yeah, pack up your 22,000 year old technology, get in your 22,000 year old boat, and set out on a 3500 mile journey in ice age temps. Throw in some of those storms that are on the Deadliest Catch that kill sailors in steel boats. Im sure food will be easy to come by as well. Good luck.

I don't think the theory is they loaded up and made it one go. The theory is that they kind of Island/Ice hopped their way across over time. Similar to the slow migration of people from Alaska to South America.

I don't think the theory is they loaded up and made it one go. The theory is that they kind of Island/Ice hopped their way across over time. Similar to the slow migration of people from Alaska to South America.

Ridiculous. Obviously they set out to discover America. [/really first world problems]

I think you're missing the point here. As Randy would say, "How are you supposed to stay hard when it's soooo coooooold!"

Noc-a-Homa and his boys walked across land from Siberia. The distance across the Bering Straight is only like 50 miles today. It might have either been connected, much closer, or frozen over thousands of years ago. Cavemen crossing a 50 mi or less frozen body of water is much more feasable than crossing an ocean, even if it is partially frozen.

Dude, pull up Google Earth. I't only 500 miles from the northern end of Scotland to Iceland and the Faroe Islands are in between.

It's less than 200 miles from Iceland to Greenland. For seafaring people, this is not that far.

We're only talking about a migration of 1,700 miles (some land, some water) over thousands of years.

Is it possible that aliens were involved? Ancient aliens? I would have expected the tag to appear already.

In response to OP: Fuck yeah we did! First!

Dude, pull up Google Earth. I't only 500 miles from the northern end of Scotland to Iceland and the Faroe Islands are in between.

It's less than 200 miles from Iceland to Greenland. For seafaring people, this is not that far.

We're only talking about a migration of 1,700 miles (some land, some water) over thousands of years.

I totally forgot about Google Earth! I bet the cavemen just logged on that bitch to find the shortest and safest route! Probs also brought a iPad so they could use GoogleNav along the way. Or maybe just printed it out. What was I thinking.

Anyway, pack up the HeavyPetting clan, get in 20000 year old rowboat in freezing temps, set off from Maine and call me when you get to Scotland. You can even stop over in Greenland if you want. I'll even give you a week to teach the kids how to row when it's -12 outside with a 30mph wind.

Last edited:
None of these people are Americans. I am an American.

Okay, pack up the HeavyPetting clan, get in 20000 year old rowboat in freezing temps, set off from Maine and call me when you get to Scotland. You can even stop over in Greenland if you want. I'll even give you a week to teach the kids how to row when it's -12 outside with a 30mph wind.

just b/c you're too much of a bitch to do it doesn't mean someone else couldn't.

Okay, pack up the HeavyPetting clan, get in 20000 year old rowboat in freezing temps, set off from Maine and call me when you get to Scotland. You can even stop over in Greenland if you want. I'll even give you a week to teach the kids how to row when it's -12 outside with a 30mph wind.

No problem. We all have North Face jackets.

Back