• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Every Men's BBall Player In the Last 20 Years Hastily Ranked

It was surreal because it was so unexpected. Chris Paul had expectations.

John Collins 62% shooting on 20 and 10 is the 6th highest PER for a season in college basketball history

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/per-player-season.html

Howard's senior year was ridiculous - but not totally unexpected. As I recall, he was having a great junior year and was rumored to be leaving early but then had an ankle injury that kept him out for a while and slowed him down. It hurt us that year but turned out to be a gift as it led to him staying and having that unbelievable senior season.

It was surreal because it was so unexpected. Chris Paul had expectations.

John Collins 62% shooting on 20 and 10 is the 6th highest PER for a season in college basketball history

This link is hilarious because 1) it’s only since 2009-2010, not college basketball history and 2) there were 9 players in just the 2022-2023 season who beat John Collins’ year

hmm some regretful placements in the lower section. will update.

John Collins vastly underrated. Skip basically wasted the college career of Visser. I called in to his show every week (Visser’s soph and junior years) to remind him.

revisiting this - Visser is undervalued.

Also, I think Mucius played himself into the top 30 his last year.
The good news/bad news we had two guys last year that would slot in pretty high if you expand this to 22 years and we made the NIT but certainly more talent on recent teams based on best year.

Based on the criteria (the players' best year, not total body of work) the biggest movers for me:

📈
John Collins
Kyle Visser
Sarr

Where would Alondes and Jake fit on this list? I would probably put them around 11-15. It's crazy looking back how good guys like Vytas were as role players.

If I hadn’t seen Andrien White and Terrance Thompson on a list of Wake basketball players, I wouldn’t have recognized them as Wake basketball player.

I certainly didn’t remember White played only three seasons ago and started more games than two guys who made it to the NBA.

And I definitely didn’t remember Thompson started every game his one season at Wake.

I remember that factoid about Thompson because people said Manning must have promised him a starting role if he came to Wake.

Yeah. Didn't remember for sure if he was the guy.

I gotta say, though. Props to IAT for that list. There's a few guys who should get re-ranked in hindsight, but remarkably accurate list and a kind of depressing walk down memory lane.

The most depressing and telling part is that list originally only got 63 responses. Feels like a similar list from 1980-81 to 1999-2000 would get more discussion just from 80s and 90s Deacs.

Back