• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Explaining a pet's death to a toddler

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
For the last six months or so, our two dogs, a 14 year old basset and a 6 year old beagle-basset had been staying together at my in-laws because a 14 year old dog and a 2 year old boy aren't a good mix. She had nipped at him a few times for good reason and we wanted her to live her last days in peace in her favorite place receiving constant attention from my wife's parents. We visited down there a few times over that period, most recently 3 weeks ago.

Today my in-laws are bringing the six year old for my son's birthday weekend. My son is very excited that they're coming up and has been asking for both dogs. We've explained that only one is coming and he's figured out for himself that means the 14 year old had to stay. Soon, he's going to ask why the 14 year old can't come back home to stay with us.

What are some suggestions for how to explain death to a toddler, especially when he hasn't been around the dog enough to consistently be aware of the signs of aging?

Stuff I've found on Google has been helpful such as not associating death with sleep or saying goodbye. Just looking for more info.

Thanks.

RAINBOW BRIDGE IT PhDeac.

We just told our toddlers that the dog was sick and the vet was going to give her a shot and she was going to die and go to heaven. We had another dog who we had put down right before our oldest child was born, so they were already aware that the first dog was dead. Dead dogs are a good life lesson for little kids. Don't waste it by hiding them from the truth.

...so is the old dog dead yet? or you just need to explain a peaceful end-of-life experience?

"He will be going to a really nice farm with a bunch of other dogs so that he has a lot of space to run around and lots of friends. The farm even has a doggy playground so he can have tons of fun with the other dogs!"

For the last six months or so, our two dogs, a 14 year old basset and a 6 year old beagle-basset had been staying together at my in-laws because a 14 year old dog and a 2 year old boy aren't a good mix. She had nipped at him a few times for good reason and we wanted her to live her last days in peace in her favorite place receiving constant attention from my wife's parents. We visited down there a few times over that period, most recently 3 weeks ago.

Today my in-laws are bringing the six year old for my son's birthday weekend. My son is very excited that they're coming up and has been asking for both dogs. We've explained that only one is coming and he's figured out for himself that means the 14 year old had to stay. Soon, he's going to ask why the 14 year old can't come back home to stay with us.

What are some suggestions for how to explain death to a toddler, especially when he hasn't been around the dog enough to consistently be aware of the signs of aging?

Stuff I've found on Google has been helpful such as not associating death with sleep or saying goodbye. Just looking for more info.

Thanks.

There is a book called Dog Heaven that was written for this.

The best book in my opinion is Houdini the Hamster. This was written by a 2nd grade class about their pet hamster, Houdini, that dies. Just be forewarned that someone will end up crying by the end. What makes this one so good is that it was written by kids, for kids.

Of course you could just have him shoot the dog himself.

oldyeller.jpg

Or you could explain that the dog was badly injured in an accident, playing with some horses.

horse+and+dog+i%2527m+gonna+fuck+you+in+the+butt+oh+god.jpg

Ph, I had a basset too. I think Slothrop has had some as well.

Loyal dog, but stubborn as all hell.

We just told our toddlers that the dog was sick and the vet was going to give her a shot and she was going to die and go to heaven. We had another dog who we had put down right before our oldest child was born, so they were already aware that the first dog was dead. Dead dogs are a good life lesson for little kids. Don't waste it by hiding them from the truth.

Yeah, I don't know if my son is going to get that.

"Dog voted for Romney in the primary, he's dead to us son".

Tell him/her the dog had to move away due to him/her being a complete dick to said dog all the time. Then the dog lost it's will to live since his masters rather ship him off than get rid of the dick that was pulling his tail all the time. Now it is dead. Never to be seen again. Make sure you incorporate the phrase, "this is all YOUR fault" at least half a dozen times.

Back