• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Explaining a pet's death to a toddler

"son, we asked the dog to come but he said 'get off my lawn'"

"He will be going to a really nice farm with a bunch of other dogs so that he has a lot of space to run around and lots of friends. The farm even has a doggy playground so he can have tons of fun with the other dogs!"

I've never understood why the "doggy farm" worked. My son would just ask when we're going to the doggie farm.

Just told him that the dog died and she's going to heaven. My son responded, "No. No heaven. Heaven's closed."

POI: When we can't go somewhere he wants to go because it's closed, we tell him that it's closed. He's turned it around to say anyplace he doesn't want to go or where he doesn't want someone else to go is closed.

We had a basset when I was 10 or so. He was a complete asshole, but we loved him because of it. Refused to fetch a ball unless he could see the Nilla wafer in your hand.

Fell asleep under a farm truck and got his snout smushed when it started up. We had his jaw wired while it mended. He got hit by a car shortly after the wire was removed, crossing the road to go back to the same farm.

Great breed.

Son, the dog's dead. Everything you love or will love will die. Then you'll die and everyone that loved you will die. Soon everyone that ever mattered to you will forget you ever lived. You're a blip, not even a mark in history. We're all nothing, there's no point to this existence, no god, no plan. Nothing. Let's go get ice cream.

Now that's how you parent, I should know I've paid for 3 abortions.

"I've got the smartest kid in the room" humblebrag . . .

:)

I've never understood why the "doggy farm" worked. My son would just ask when we're going to the doggie farm.

Just told him that the dog died and she's going to heaven. My son responded, "No. No heaven. Heaven's closed."

POI: When we can't go somewhere he wants to go because it's closed, we tell him that it's closed. He's turned it around to say anyplace he doesn't want to go or where he doesn't want someone else to go is closed.

Forgot about this thread.

Tell him/her the dog had to move away due to him/her being a complete dick to said dog all the time. Then the dog lost it's will to live since his masters rather ship him off than get rid of the dick that was pulling his tail all the time. Now it is dead. Never to be seen again. Make sure you incorporate the phrase, "this is all YOUR fault" at least half a dozen times.

I still feel like this is good advice.

Son, the dog's dead. Everything you love or will love will die. Then you'll die and everyone that loved you will die. Soon everyone that ever mattered to you will forget you ever lived. You're a blip, not even a mark in history. We're all nothing, there's no point to this existence, no god, no plan. Nothing. Let's go get ice cream.

Now that's how you parent, I should know I've paid for 3 abortions.

Dang Caturday. RIP.

Not my other dog who died today.

My boys handled it well. We broke it to them slowly. He was put to sleep before they woke up. I told them my wife was at the vet with him while they were getting ready for school.

When they got home, I started to tell them. The little one said "He died! I guessed it." The older one cried immediately. The little one cried a few minutes later. Both handled it well.

Last edited:
Back