• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Before we can draw these kinds of conclusions, we need to know what color the colonists’ skin was.

The white (male, landowning) colonists became free men by their own courage and bootstrappiness, the black ones got counted as 3/5s of a human with no rights. Per Bill Barr I'm sure it was their own fault tho.

I hadn’t even heard about it until Junebug mentioned it.

Seems like he’s saying it’s OK to shoot black men in the back.

I can only assume from the lack of chatter on this thread that everyone agrees the police acted properly when they shot De’von Bailey. I’m glad to see you all finally coming around.

says the supposed libertarian

Libertarianism, or at least certain brands of it, is not inconsistent with law and order. The fact that someone is a proponent of laissez faire economics, for example, has no bearing on the person’s view of the police power of the state.

No police state will ever truly allow for laissez faire economics. The entire point of the police state is to suppress the natural rights of one group in order to enrich another group.. I’m shocked at your naïveté.

This quote from "Carceral Capitalism" by Jackie Wang fits Junebug's conservative ideology pretty well:

As we have seen with the explosion of prisons in the latter half of the twentieth century (which occurred alongside market liberalization), the supposed scaling back of government does not necessarily lead to the shrinking of police, prisons, and military spending. Prisons and law enforcement may actually grow when the ideology of small government is hegemonic because the maintenance of law and order is considered the proper (morally authorized) domain of government. For Bernard E. Harcourt, neoliberal penality is rooted in "the assumption of government legitimacy and competence in the penal arena and, on the other hand, the presumption that the government should not play a role elsewhere." However, the collapse of the tax state owing to neoliberalization has created a situation where the livelihoods of local government bodies are increasingly tied to predatory fiscal structures that foster looting.

Libertarianism, or at least certain brands of it, is not inconsistent with law and order. The fact that someone is a proponent of laissez faire economics, for example, has no bearing on the person’s view of the police power of the state.

How do the two go together? The cop who shoots a suspect thus depriving them of due process of law is hardly respecting their individual liberty. When that person is an armed agent of the state, literally tasked with committing violence against its citizens on its behalf, then that should not get you all warm and fuzzy inside.

Who’s talking about a police state? Not me.

ummm....

The cop who properly shoots a suspect does not deprive him of due process of law. Because of the seriousness of the suspect’s offense, the only process to which he is due is the cop’s ex ante decision making process and, perhaps, an ex post internal review.

Valuing individual liberty does not mean that cops shouldn’t be authorized to take a suspect’s life, or at least not necessarily so.

It is OK to shoot someone — black, white, or otherwise — in the back if he matches the description of an alleged armed robber in the area, takes off when a policeman tells him he is going to search him for a gun, and then reaches for his waistband while running away despite police orders to put his hands up.

Good thing the officer was wearing a body cam. Otherwise, he might have lost his job because of the political fallout.

Terrified white people say this kind of shit

Why is it that the same people who are in favor of more gun control don’t give a shit when guns are used illegally and in a way that threatens the community?

This is a Top 10 dumbest post of the year. Probably Top 5 and may make the medal stand.

Why is it that the same people who are in favor of more gun control don’t give a shit when guns are used illegally and in a way that threatens the community?

Why is it people who hate gun control think it’s OK for the state to kill someone for having a gun?

Great point.

Also, did he even have a gun? Every story I’ve read says they haven’t confirmed he even had one

I have to check my notes from law school but I’m pretty sure the police can’t kill someone for having a gun.

LOL. Then why have so many cops gotten away with it?

Back