• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I've never said that Republicans would do a better job, they likely wouldn't. But they also aren't the direct cause of the police brutality problems within the cities, which the Demos are. If your position is that urban police forces over the last few years, coinciding with their militarization, have reduced brutality claims, then hopefully you are marching amongst the protestors with that message. You can't have it both ways. Either the recent Demo programs are working, in which case the protests are incorrect; or the recent programs are not working and the Demos in control are at fault.

If the Demo programs are working to reduce brutality, at whatever pace prior to now, then please explain why the urban police are responding to the protestors with full militarization gear and why we are getting Ph's litany of police vs protestor brutality videos? Who authorized the budgets purchasing the militarization equipment and who is putting the police in those responsive positions with that equipment?

Again, you are a simpleton. Not everything happens in a vacuum. Militarization of the police has happened everywhere - urban and rural. But other policies have also changed over that time. I think policy change in some urban police departments has resulted in fewer police killings, but the reduction has not been nearly enough. Many policies need to change, certainly including demilitarization, to decrease police brutality.

Since 18-21 yos got the right to vote in 1972, there hasn't been a time when young people 18-34 could have more of an impact on an election than this year. People don't give you power, you have to take it. Vote and take the power.

RE; Defunding police- like many things it's not quite as simple as it sounds. small to mid-size places may find it more difficult. HB was an example. It sounded good to cut a number of cops. However, they didn't do their homework and ended up spending more the next couple of years due to overtime and other factors. Top 25-50 cities should be able to find millions to re-purpose. Before saying, we can cut X$ have a plan of where those savings are going to be used. But it can and should be done.

More from Philly:

The Minneapolis City Council announced that they are going to dismantle the police department. The president of the Minneapolis City Council is on CNN right now.

Looks like they're talking about moving resources away from police to other services like mental health, EMTs, etc instead of going through the police.

And another monument to Rizzo comes down:

I had never really heard of Frank Rizzo before this. What an ass. White people need to choose better heroes.

A reporter went to talk to one of the Black Panthers active during Rizzo's tenure this week, and the convo was pretty great:

The Minneapolis City Council announced that they are going to dismantle the police department. The president of the Minneapolis City Council is on CNN right now.

Looks like they're talking about moving resources away from police to other services like mental health, EMTs, etc instead of going through the police.

Can someone educate me on how abolishing a police force would work, practically. Let’s say a crime such as murder, armed robbery, or rape is committed. Who investigates that crime? How are those investigators trained and by whom? If an arrest needs to be made, who makes that arrest? You’ve got to have someone to perform those police functions, so wouldn’t it amount to simply renaming police something else or shifting some job responsibilities around?

Can someone educate me on how abolishing a police force would work, practically. Let’s say a crime such as murder, armed robbery, or rape is committed. Who investigates that crime? How are those investigators trained and by whom? If an arrest needs to be made, who makes that arrest? You’ve got to have someone to perform those police functions, so wouldn’t it amount to simply renaming police something else or shifting some job responsibilities around?

We have a good thread started by TenaciousKory for this, 29, where the first post has a running list of resources.

I came to post the same question. If someone is breaking into your house, who do you call? If there is a car accident, who takes statements, does sobriety tests, etc. I’ll check out the thread others referenced.

So it seems like maybe people saying “abolish” police are using that synonymously with defunding? If so, that’s confusing. Or are there people really proposing getting rid of police entirely, as opposed to reducing powers and reallocating funds/resources?

Back