• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

That was one of my favorite quotes. It really captures much of how black people think of and appreciate each other.

It also distilled something I've been thinking about for awhile.

[FONT=&quot]One of the biggest lies proliferated in my lifetime within Black communities is the need for a Black leader. It's understandable. I was born 8 years after Dr. King was assassinated. There was a void and several people have tried to fill that void. There were 50.5 years between Dr. King's death and the election of Barack Obama. There was reason to believe President Obama would fill that void. But after his 8 year term, I think there was a broad realization that there was no need for a Black leader.

This was always a version of flawed patriarchal "one great man" theory.

The reality is that there are millions of Black leaders. All ages and background located all over the country and world. And millions of Black leaders can't be targeted by the FBI, can't be assassinated, can't be stifled by the House GOP and Mitch McConnell.

We need to recognize who those leaders are and let the lead and follow them. I've been very excited about the potential of Gen Z to lead. I teach them. My sons are young Gen Z. I continue to impressed at their understanding of how they fit in a complex world. I just didn't realize they'd be called on to lead to soon.[/FONT]

This is really insightful. Millions of black leaders also means they can lead in a wide variety of areas: science, politics, medicine, sports, education, etc.

Exactly. And we are seeing Black athletes become leaders even someone like Bubba Wallace in a sport that doesn’t even have many Black people at any level.

Here’s one of the most inspiring stories I’ve seen in the last two weeks. I don’t think it’s made it on the news. A young woman from the St. Louis area who recently graduated from Drake wrote Merriam-Webster to make the case for changing their definition of racism to include systematic racism. And they are going to change it.

———

The dictionary defines racism as "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

Mitchum said that definition was too simple and too surface level.

"So, a couple weeks ago, I said this is the last argument I'm going to have about this. I know what racism is, I've experienced it time and time and time again in a lot of different ways, so enough is enough. So, I emailed them about how I felt about it. Saying this needs to change," she said.

Mitchum is a Nerinx Hall graduate and just graduated from Drake University. She said she wasn't expecting anything from her email, but she knew she had to make an effort.

“I basically told them they need to include that there is systematic oppression on people. It's not just 'I don't like someone,' it's a system of oppression for a certain group of people," Mitchum explained.

After a few back and forth emails, the editor of Merriam Webster Dictionary agreed and wrote back, "While our focus will always be on faithfully reflecting the real-world usage of a word, not on promoting any particular viewpoint, we have concluded that omitting any mention of the systemic aspects of racism promotes a certain viewpoint in itself."
———

https://www.kmov.com/news/florissan...cle_30bba202-a9d9-11ea-ba9d-cb6e06fdc201.html

That’s inspiring leadership. She was like fuck it. I’m going to ask the dictionary to change.

Another thing that has been cool about that is older Black political leaders and entertainers haven’t tried to co-op the movement or speak over it like that awful video from white actors Townie posted on the chat thread. People like Dave, the Obamas, and Stacy Abrams have specifically said they’re staying out of the way to let young people lead.

Last edited:
One more note about 8:46. Props to Netflix for getting it out so soon and not putting it on the platform. They could have easily put some clips on YouTube and saved the whole thing for subscribers. Instead they it out less than a week after it was filmed.

I would be all for more of Dave just inviting people out to a field to see him do a set just raw.

Zoom happy hour with my Wake friends today. We discussed the subject. No. We're not turning a corner. The movement is dumb. America has an attention span of like 3 weeks max, and we're 2 weeks into it.

Last edited:
Zoom happy hour with my Wake friends today. We discussed the subject. No. We're not turning a corner. The movement is dumb. America has an attention span of like 3 weeks max, and we're 2 weeks into it.

It’s hard to imagine anything less meaningful than the chat you had.

I’m sure members of the ruling class have said the same thing two weeks into every social movement.

Last edited:

NASCAR just told Confederate flag lovers to go fuck themselves. A corner has certainly been turned. Take a step out of your bubble.

I'm also saddened that you're rejecting this glorious revolution. I thought we were on board about how fucking stupid and FOS our society is. You may be uncomfortable but this is the only way it will change.

Last edited:
I’m sure members of the ruling class have said the same thing two weeks into every social movement.

NASCAR just told Confederate flag lovers to go fuck themselves. A corner has certainly been turned. Take a step out of your bubble.

I'm also saddened that you're rejecting this glorious revolution. I thought we were on board about how fucking stupid and FOS our society is. You may be uncomfortable but this is the only way it will change.

These things like nascar turning down the confederate flag and there being a black bachelor seem like gestures. I don't see how we get away from the fact that people with property will pay taxes to fund a police force to defend that property. If anything, I think people are going to be paying more for more protection going forward. An actual change is going to come from people agreeing to higher taxation to help the less privileged among us. I'm betting on us being too selfish to agree to that. I'm looking at numbers showing republicans in the country are having more kids than liberals in the city, and I'm seeing anecdotal evidence of that in my own experience. The average number of kids the people had on my Wake call was less than 1. The average number of kids the dumbasses with straight C's that I went to high school with that I'm sure are Trump supporters is like 3.

We have a limited attention span as a nation thanks to iphones. This one had more legs because it coincided with like 30% unemployment, but you can already see the enthusiasm dying, I can hear it from less activity in the streets and you can see it from less posts on this thread. 28 elementary school kids dying at Sandy Hook kept our attention for like a week or two, this might last a month. We're de-sensitized to everything at this point. There's almost no discussion anymore on the coronavirus thread and we're up to like 120,000 deaths and it's getting rapidly worse. We're just over it.

you might get less in the police budget for tanks and you might get more independent oversight. These are both good things. But ya ain't gonna protest your way outta racist cops and you aren't going to protest your way out of them protecting each other. And you aren't going to protest your way out of less bodies in the police force.

Last edited:
These things like nascar turning down the confederate flag and there being a black bachelor seem like gestures. I don't see how we get away from the fact that people with property will pay taxes to fund a police force to defend that property. If anything, I think people are going to be paying more for more protection going forward. An actual change is going to come from people agreeing to higher taxation to help the less privileged among us. I'm betting on us being too selfish to agree to that. I'm looking at numbers showing republicans in the country are having more kids than liberals in the city, and I'm seeing anecdotal evidence of that in my own experience. The average number of kids the people had on my Wake call was less than 1. The average number of kids the dumbasses with straight C's that I went to high school with that I'm sure are Trump supporters is like 3.

Now this we agree upon. I may have lost a few friends in the last couple weeks by dropping the term "faux liberalism" in a group text or two. I'm glad that y'all are woke now but nut up and contribute to real change or go the fuck back to being the selfish privileged people you truly are. Without a dramatic shift in resource allocation (including significant tax raises) nothing of real consequence will actually come to fruition.

That being said, these last couple weeks have been amazing. I actually thought it was going to be far more violent, but society seems to be ready to evolve without a knife to its throat. The key is keeping the peddle down, especially when/if the Democrats come into power. If the Biden administration fails us, then the Democratic Party needs to be destroyed. This the last chance the establishment has to lose the Republican Lite moniker.

Last edited:
Criminals are human beings. People resisting arrest are human beings. I refuse to let authoritarian shitheads lead these discussions into respectability politics. Take a stand for criminals who don't deserve to be choked to death or shot at 40 times in their car. For women who talk shit to a cop for pulling her over and get found hanged to death in a jail cell the next day. For protesters that get shot in the fucking eyeball with a rubber bullet for not moving when curfew strikes. It's not about goddamn innocence it's about humanity. Fuck every authoritarian shithead and mouth breather with a law degree who dehumanizes the people abused by law enforcement and the the justice system.

"meh" fuck you, troll. I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything except not kill another person. Its fucking ridiculous for me to simply defend peoples lives and you portray that as me somehow condoning crime. My stance is the normal one - your stupid fucking authoritarian "kill em all and let God sort em out" troll schtick sucks. Get a new bit, palma, that one is tired. No one believes you're a disaffected nihilist.

From 2014. Not sure if they still have the armored vehicles.

Oh no ip glitch

Now this we agree upon. I may have lost a few friends in the last couple weeks by dropping the term "faux liberalism" in a group text or two. I'm glad that y'all are woke now but nut up and contribute to real change or go the fuck back to being the selfish privileged people you truly are. Without a dramatic shift in resource allocation (including significant tax raises) nothing of real consequence will actually come to fruition.

That being said, these last couple weeks have been amazing. I actually thought it was going to be far more violent, but society seems to really be willing to evolve without a knife to its throat. The key is keeping the peddle down, especially when/if the Democrats come into power. If the Biden administration fails us, then the Democratic Party needs to be destroyed. This the last chance the establishment has to lose the Republican Lite moniker.

ideolgically, I don't value an american life more than a kenyan life. I don't think we can operate as 300 different independent nations all looking out for their own self interest. Not when the ability to destroy humanity can be found on the internet. I have absolutely zero ability to suggest how we get there, though. I personally think we're doomed, don't plan on having kids myself, and just going the mass personal consumption plan for my own enjoyment.

I am considering if I want to just flip the switch and go with the selfless approach and try and improve humanity a bit by volunteering and such, however. I looked into being a big brother a while back and apparently they aren't accepting white guys.

ideolgically, I don't value an american life more than a kenyan life. I don't think we can operate as 300 different independent nations all looking out for their own self interest. Not when the ability to destroy humanity can be found on the internet. I have absolutely zero ability to suggest how we get there, though. I personally think we're doomed, don't plan on having kids myself, and just going the mass personal consumption plan for my own enjoyment.

That's a quitter move bro. Trust me I feel that way from time-to-time, but this feels real. This could be good. The corporations are doing their damnedest to co-opt, but this was a movement created by the people. Not shitty marketing campaigns crafted by people with three more degrees than necessary. Its quite heartening to see that the common person can still affect change.

I also love how we no longer have to be socially nice to bigots and shitheads. I'm here for the reputation executions of bad people. Fuck them and their terrible world views. Adapt and be cool, or be left for dead.

Last edited:
Back