• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

But we do have decades and trillions of dollars of corresponding Democrat social welfare programs purported to meet those goals that go alongside those stats. Thinking that one of those programs is actually and suddenly going to work at the exact same time the abolition program kicks in is pure insanity. The programs simply don't work, and you can go round and round with the chicken and egg on if it is the poverty or the police state that is causing the failure, but whatever the conclusion isn't going to suddenly make any of those programs work. So pulling out the police leg of the chair is going to cause the collapse the same way as if you pulled the welfare funding leg or the education funding leg.

We have decades and trillions of dollars of means-tested and misappropriated welfare spending (undercut at every level by Dems and Pubs alike) combined with a system that still criminalizes poverty. Welfare spending isn't meant to stop crime, but we do know that a lot of crime has its roots in basic needs not being met (and not simply a static condition inherent to all societies). Why, if we've spent so much money do we still have generational poverty? Precisely because we still criminalize so many parts of being poor. I'd prefer a ladder metaphor, wherein education and welfare funding are rungs out of poverty, and police are gatekeepers sitting atop the wall refusing to let a certain underclass climb any higher.

There is really good data about how the CARES act boost to UI benefits has, as a direct cash application, done more to address local poverty than any other previously implemented attempts. The very existence of poverty is a policy decision.

This seems very interesting and of interest to Strick, Grossman, Arsene and others discussing fines and fees:

This seems very interesting and of interest to Strick, Grossman, Arsene and others discussing fines and fees:

It's a tough read, but Alexes Harris's A Pound of Flesh does a good job of describing the causes and consequences of this phenomenon.

You can download a paper-length version (with Heather Evans and Katherine Beckett) of the book here.

EbJaeC7XYAAj4GL.png

I have no words for this atrocity.

‘They’re peaceful’: Pa. State Police release dashcam video from I-676 protest tear-gassing

The Pennsylvania State Police have publicly released never-before-seen dashcam footage from a law enforcement vehicle stuck on Interstate 676 in Philadelphia just before protesters were tear-gassed in an incident that became international news.

Taken from the camera in PSP patrol unit K1-15, the video does show a masked protester who approaches and spray-paints a small circle over the windshield of the trooper SUV, obscuring much of the camera’s field of vision.

The footage, requested by WHYY News, does not appear to otherwise corroborate accounts of violence circulated by Mayor Jim Kenney’s office in justification of the tear-gassing. Officials said demonstrators, who were protesting systemic racism and police brutality in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, had trapped the lone trooper and begun rocking his vehicle. In the dashcam video, law enforcement can be heard describing the protests as “peaceful.”

Fred Hampton Jr. visiting his fathers bullet riddled gravesite for fathers day.

This is awesome.

106006193_10101825386976908_2920156961415849591_o.jpg

105507220_10101825386986888_9205940789383333565_o.jpg

Besides sounding like Axel Foley this is fucked up. Im sure no apology was given.

"Did you get his ID and stuff?"
"Did you run him?"
"Was he good?"

FFS

Why did the officer need to bear hug the guy and then slam him?

He's a real tough guy who knows there will be no repercussions.

That's so fucked up. Almost doesn't seem possible to be so shitty at your job.

Keep in mind the job attracts people who want to beat up people who can’t legally fight back.

Besides sounding like Axel Foley this is fucked up. Im sure no apology was given.

Good grief, three blind cops. Make room on the unemployment line. Make a college degree mandatory for entry into the force.

Smh

That’s pretty much what I expect outta cops.

Should be working in highly skilled labor positions like flipping burgers and salting fries.

That's so fucked up. Almost doesn't seem possible to be so shitty at your job.

Keep in mind the job attracts people who want to beat up people who can’t legally fight back.

that is the job.

So, this is a story from Wilmington NC
https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2020/06/24/fired-wilmington-cop-we-are-just-going-to-go-out-and-start-slaughtering-them-f-ni-i-cant-wait-god-i-cant-wait-free-read/
Police accidently record themselves talking about "slaughtering ni*****" and "wiping them off the map"

“Piner tells Moore later in the conversation that he feels a civil war is coming and he is ‘ready.’ Piner advised he is going to buy a new assault rifle in the next couple of weeks. A short time later Officer Piner began to discuss society being close to ‘martial law’ and soon ‘we are just gonna go out and start slaughtering them fucking ni—–. I can’t wait. God, I can’t wait.’ Moore responded that he would not do that. Piner stated, ‘I am ready.'” according to the summary.

“Officer Piner then explained to Cpl. Moore that he felt society needed a civil war to ‘wipe ’em off the fucking map. That’ll put ’em back about four or five generations.'”

Back