• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Also the point of a traditional strike (and to great extent most wildcats) is not to "make the boss go broke" (lol) -- it's to bring the owner/manager/whoever hold power to the table in order to negotiate. Why would you want to put the owner out of business and lose your job?

The way I saw it explained was that the NBAPA negotiated a CBA that prevented them from striking.

What objective of a strike was not met by playing?

You're being purposefully dense. If you listened to the players and know how "social justice" is used by athletes to counter owners who resist incorporating anti-racist messaging into their product, then you know what they were going for.

surprised that anybody is surprised that a Pete supporter is not in favor of direct action by labor

Saying that shit after the teacher strikes of recent years... is something.

You're being purposefully dense. If you listened to the players and know how "social justice" is used by athletes to counter owners who resist incorporating anti-racist messaging into their product, then you know what they were going for.

Weird. I saw anti-racist messaging in the NBA product.

Again, we started talking about this in response to Silver quoting people who were upside by the messaging during games.

The racists were pissed off by them playing. So the racists would be even more pissed off if there was a strike? Not sure I follow.

Saying that shit after the teacher strikes of recent years... is something.

I thought it was obvious I wasn’t talking about public sector strikes. But you do you. Which wealthy bosses of teachers did you think I was referring to?

I think people fetishize strikes. Strikes are a remnant of a time when when labor had more power. Wealth is so concentrated now. The "boss" isn't going to go broke due to a strike. They'll just use that as an opportunity to break the union.

more than happy to think through the part of your post I was specifically addressing but I'm not gonna follow you off into some pointless debate about how effective the NBA strike was mr undepheated

Last edited:
Also the point of a traditional strike (and to great extent most wildcats) is not to "make the boss go broke" (lol) -- it's to bring the owner/manager/whoever hold power to the table in order to negotiate. Why would you want to put the owner out of business and lose your job?

Keep in mind you are debating with a 40+ year old with less experience in the private sector than Greta Thunberg.

Just saw that WNBA ratings were up 68% over previous years. They devoted the season to Breonna Taylor and had a bigger audience than ever. They used their voices.

Keep in mind you are debating with a 40+ year old with less experience in the private sector than Greta Thunberg.

hard to call it a debate because until now he's shown that he knows more about the talking points used against unions rather than the operation and purpose of unionization. the broke boss thing esp. is really bad and descends directly from the rhetoric used to bust unions.

hard to call it a debate because until now he's shown that he knows more about the talking points used against unions rather than the operation and purpose of unionization. the broke boss thing esp. is really bad and descends directly from the rhetoric used to bust unions.

Keep in mind you are validating Brad’s worthless existence by giving an earnest good faith reply to his post.

imo a few good faith posts every now and then are okay; maybe part of the reason the Tunnels is trash is because people are absolutely fucking horrid to anyone outside their faction without exception

imo a few good faith posts every now and then are okay; maybe part of the reason the Tunnels is trash is because people are absolutely fucking horrid to anyone outside their faction without exception

Yep.

Case in point.

Unions have already been busted. Labor needs to be build up for strikes to have their intended impact. Can’t pretend the last several decades of union busting have had no effect.

meh

seen several new groups unionize in Chicago since I moved here, including charter schools, nurses, and others

In case you are looking for a new bank in Durham area
https://indyweek.com/news/durham/bank-black-durham-2020-rally/

I've met the owner of Zweli's Kitchen, and read good things about them, too - the above example, and they provided a free meal to MacDougal residents when they were displaced from their homes this past summer. Good corporate citizens. If you are in Durham, check out their delicious Zimbabwean food.

Zweli’s is fucking great. Second best wings in Durham, and every single one of the sides is on point.

I miss Durham but I really hate that I left before the food scene blew up.

Back