• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Don't know who PH is, other than no way he has a "real" job based on his seeming ability to make/respond to posts at almost any given minute.
Good poster though; seems like a decent guy, and his take on WFU sports is generally spot-on.

Lol he definitely has a “real” job. What is this condescending shit?

Yeah. People act like I’m posting to myself from 9-5 every day. I’m not the only one without a “real job.”

https://www.outkick.com/adam-silver...ll-be-largely-left-off-the-court-next-season/

Rachel Nichols: The NBA has certainly been the most visible billion-dollar organization championing social justice and civil rights. As you noted in your press conference the other day, though, that has not been universally popular. How committed are you to being that going forward?

Adam Silver: We’re completely committed to standing for social justice and racial equality and that’s been the case going back decades. It’s part of the DNA of this league. How it gets manifested is something we’re gonna have to sit down with the players and discuss for next season. I would say, in terms of the messages you see on the court and our jerseys, this was an extraordinary moment in time when we began these discussions with the players and what we all lived through this summer. My sense is there’ll be somewhat a return to normalcy, that those messages will largely be left to be delivered off the floor.

And I understand those people who are saying ‘I’m on your side, but I want to watch a basketball game.’

return to normalcy

"I'm on your side, but I want to watch a basketball game." - Facepalm

That’s disappointing and I imagine there will be some pushback from the players.

And that quote is horrific and Silver shouldn’t legitimize it.

That’s disappointing and I imagine there will be some pushback from the players.

And that quote is horrific and Silver shouldn’t legitimize it.

There already was pushback from the players, and no less than Barack Obama himself convinced them to break their strike.

There already was pushback from the players, and no less than Barack Obama himself convinced them to break their strike.

A strike wasn’t a good idea especially for the WNBA. They got more national TV coverage than ever before. A strike would have been forgotten within a week after football got started and with the Stanley Cup going on.

A strike wasn’t a good idea especially for the WNBA. They got more national TV coverage than ever before. A strike would have been forgotten within a week after football got started and with the Stanley Cup going on.

You think a strike to stop or even cancel the NBA playoffs would have been forgotten? Good grief. What even is the purpose of a labor union? So frustrating to hear that from you.

You think a strike to stop or even cancel the NBA playoffs would have been forgotten? Good grief. What even is the purpose of a labor union? So frustrating to hear that from you.

Do you think a strike would have gotten as much attention as the actual playoffs? The optics of millionaires just declining to play after getting solid agreements from the league and ownership would have been horrible. And it would have reduced the camera time for these issues. I can't see the logic for refusing to use an effective platform. And a strike would have been especially harmful to the WNBA.

I think people fetishize strikes. Strikes are a remnant of a time when when labor had more power. Wealth is so concentrated now. The "boss" isn't going to go broke due to a strike. They'll just use that as an opportunity to break the union.

There are so few Black Americans with real economic and cultural leverage in this country, and when a large professional organization of some of the wealthiest and most famous black men in America are on the precipice of actually radicalizing, Obama convinces them to just play basketball. I’ll never understand it. How is that any different than any of these racist crackers on Twitter telling them to shut up and dribble? As if Russell Westbrook talking about Breonna Taylor in the postgame interview has even a modicum of the effectiveness of shutting the playoffs down. The one single day that the NBA went on strike was world news.

but I’m not going to get into a argument about the effectiveness of labor organization with you, because I absolutely disagree with what you just posted and I know that continuing that discussion, in light of your comments about electoralism, is only going to piss me off, so I’ll spare everyone else and just drop it.

Do you think a strike would have gotten as much attention as the actual playoffs? The optics of millionaires just declining to play after getting solid agreements from the league and ownership would have been horrible. And it would have reduced the camera time for these issues. I can't see the logic for refusing to use an effective platform. And a strike would have been especially harmful to the WNBA.

I think people fetishize strikes. Strikes are a remnant of a time when when labor had more power. Wealth is so concentrated now. The "boss" isn't going to go broke due to a strike. They'll just use that as an opportunity to break the union.

Fetishize? Remnant? Strong language. It hasn't even been a month since UM grad students won pandemic childcare options, support for international graduate students and increased transparency for COVID-19 testing protocols because of the strike action they took. The NBA strike is not exemplary of movements for workers rights. It's a revealing case study in how people tried to frame the player's choice as one of consumption and not labor through the language of "boycott," but while millionaires refusing to work is a strike - it's certainly more complex than that.

Here's a map of over 900 strikes that have taken place since March: https://paydayreport.com/covid-19-strike-wave-interactive-map/

Last edited:
The way I saw it explained was that the NBAPA negotiated a CBA that prevented them from striking.

What objective of a strike was not met by playing?

Back