• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

That's not what he said. He said turn 90% of the police force into social service positions. Match the public safety service to the situation. Bring a gun to a knife fight, but don't bring a gun to a 10 year old having a mental health breakdown.

That's not what he said. He said turn 90% of the police force into social service positions. Match the public safety service to the situation. Bring a gun to a knife fight, but don't bring a gun to a 10 year old having a mental health breakdown.

I read what he said. Ok, a social service position. With what type of authority?? What type of training?? Backup? Responding to what type of cases??
Enlighten me.

There's really no point in debating police abolition because it's not happening and the proople who support it are too thick to recognize that.

There's really no point in debating police abolition because it's not happening and the proople who support it are too thick to recognize that.

this is what has been said at some point about pretty much every civil right ever

Meh.

I'm for abolition of lumber as a building material. We should be building houses out of Froot Loops and recycled carpet.

I just don't see how cops really help much of anything in almost all situation.

I would be cool turning 90% of the police force into social service positions, and then focusing on special departments to fight actual serious crime.

Also legalizing drugs and ending America's most failed policy would help.

good post, i think the last point is especially crucial

much of the confrontational nature of cop > citizen interaction comes from decades-ingrained pretextual searches that cops do justifying traffic or street stops

if we took a lot of drug enforcement out of the remit of police power, we'd drastically reduce the amount of confrontational interactions, and moreover improve the material conditions for a lot of people that lead to poverty-related drug crimes.

I'm not taking advice from someone who spells "proople" like he spells "Froot Loops."

this is what has been said at some point about pretty much every civil right ever

Meh.

I'm for abolition of lumber as a building material. We should be building houses out of Froot Loops and recycled carpet.

Considering the southern response to the abolition of slavery, and the morphing of the slave patrol job into the contemporary police force, Juice is a lot closer to a real reading of history than biff here.

feels more like a drive-by troll than an actual view tbh

not really worth responding to

feels more like a drive-by troll than an actual view tbh

not really worth responding to

So we agree that police abolition isn't happening and it's a waste of time to debate ? Good.

These Froot Loops prices are killing me !

everything in history that is a huge societal change starts as an idea and gains momentum over years and years

so perhaps you and I won't live to see abolition, nor do I think we live in a society that is ready for it, but to be fully dismissive of the idea as worth exploring is just bad understanding of history or an indifference to the matter at hand

Policing has been around for thousands of years in one form or another because people have been bad for thousands of years. And the more crowded this planet gets, the more policing we're going to need.

If it weren't for the police, proople would get drunk and drive all over the place. Uber needs the police.

Policing has been around for thousands of years in one form or another because people have been bad for thousands of years. And the more crowded this planet gets, the more policing we're going to need.

Not sure any of this is true.

It’s as factually incorrect as saying we’ve always had prisons.

Do you think that bad people are in prison and good people are free?

I think you meant to say that "Policing has been around for thousands of years in one form or another because people in power want to stay there and force is the easiest way to do so. And the wider the gap between those in power and those without, the more policing we are going to need." Different sides of the same coin, or whatever.

Back