• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

So much heartbreak.

As far as speed of turning and decision-making how does the cop get a pass for "he thought a 13 yo kid would turn and fire" but the officer is also not expected to consider "I'm trained and this kid is very unlikely to move quick, turn, and fire with much accuracy."

Because police are asked “to protect and to serve” people whose lives are not as valuable as their own. So any possible risk to their own lives is a reason to kill.

I'll admit I'm struggling with the speed of that video. I had to watch it a couple times to be able to tell his hands were empty, and I knew what to look for.

Speed doesn't change the fact that he did not have a gun in his hand when shot, as CPD claimed. But in this particular case (nighttime, inconsistent lighting, running) I can at least get a better understanding of how fast that cop had to make that decision when the kid turned around. At the same time, I'm very confident that even if the kid was running with a gun and stopped with his hands up that he likely would have just been shot in the back instead of the chest.

I've read a gun was recovered at the scene, but nothing about where. And frankly, CPD has little to no credibility on this matter after the way they misrepresented the facts to the public.

The videos here suggest he threw the gun on the others side of the fence just before turning around and raising his hands. I think.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56768217

Because police are asked “to protect and to serve” people whose lives are not as valuable as their own. So any possible risk to their own lives is a reason to kill.

yeah, I don't think denying the humanity of individual police officers helps move toward the world I want to live in

I feel bad for everyone in this situation, except the police union rep who was on CNN last night justifying this killing by calling a dead 13-year old kid a gangbanger over and over.

I don't know how many of you read the article, but this kid was with a 21-year old who was firing shots in the street. At the time, there's no way the cop could have know if it was the kid firing the shots or the other guy. So, the cop had to assume that the suspect had a gun (which he did) and was firing it immediately prior to the chase. To suggest that this cop went out to hunt someone is ridiculous, considering this kid was with someone who was charged with felony reckless discharge and unlawful use of a weapon.

I don't know how many of you read the article, but this kid was with a 21-year old who was firing shots in the street. At the time, there's no way the cop could have know if it was the kid firing the shots or the other guy. So, the cop had to assume that the suspect had a gun (which he did) and was firing it immediately prior to the chase. To suggest that this cop went out to hunt someone is ridiculous, considering this kid was with someone who was charged with felony reckless discharge and unlawful use of a weapon.

Cops lie.

Cops lie.

Video taken from the front door of a Little Village church shows Toledo and 21-year-old Ruben Roman walking down the street before stopping at the corner of 24th Street and Sawyer Avenue, where it appears Roman fired shots at a target that is out of view. Toledo and Roman leave, video footage shows.

Who said the cop was hunting someone?

I feel bad for everyone in this situation, except the police union rep who was on CNN last night justifying this killing by calling a dead 13-year old kid a gangbanger over and over.

yeah, FOP president, not just a rep and that dude is a clown -- even by FOP standards -- and he's currently without police powers himself for lots of things he's done in his time as an officer -- CNN should be ashamed of giving his bullshit a platform

I do make a distinction between in-the-moment decisions and something like Chauvin where he has (a lot of) time to change his course of action

but the biggest issue is the structure of poverty and segregation and public safety that puts people in these situations

yeah, FOP president, not just a rep and that dude is a clown -- even by FOP standards -- and he's currently without police powers himself for lots of things he's done in his time as an officer -- CNN should be ashamed of giving his bullshit a platform

let's check in on fox news to see how they're handling this

EzDbQK0WgAQHsEX

I do make a distinction between in-the-moment decisions and something like Chauvin where he has (a lot of) time to change his course of action

but the biggest issue is the structure of poverty and segregation and public safety that puts people in these situations

I agree with many on here that cops lie, they are racist, and they do their jobs poorly. With that said, haven’t we put cops in an impossible situation by having more guns than people in the US? When so many morons are armed, cops have no idea who has a gun and who doesn’t, so they assume everyone has a gun. European countries have major issues with racism, but they don’t have near the level of police killings, and I think the difference is the number of guns in the US.

So, maybe that’s an argument for abolishing police - it’s an impossible job. I guess that’s one answer. I would argue that major gun reform would also be effective, and it would also reduce mass shootings, suicides, etc. Cops should be in favor of major gun control laws, but obviously they are not. Hopefully many, many more cops will be arrested, which will prompt them to seek reform.

An impossible job that has broad public support and bottomless budgets seems like a pretty good gig though.

Can't call it a war on drugs and militarize the police and then expect them to treat the streets like anything but a warzone.

An impossible job that has broad public support and bottomless budgets seems like a pretty good gig though.

No doubt. That’s why, perhaps, many more cops being arrested and convicted might lead to some reform from within (which might be the only way for things to change).

Back