• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I'll admit I'm struggling with the speed of that video. I had to watch it a couple times to be able to tell his hands were empty, and I knew what to look for.

Speed doesn't change the fact that he did not have a gun in his hand when shot, as CPD claimed. But in this particular case (nighttime, inconsistent lighting, running) I can at least get a better understanding of how fast that cop had to make that decision when the kid turned around. At the same time, I'm very confident that even if the kid was running with a gun and stopped with his hands up that he likely would have just been shot in the back instead of the chest.

I've read a gun was recovered at the scene, but nothing about where. And frankly, CPD has little to no credibility on this matter after the way they misrepresented the facts to the public.

the problem with the speed argument is that how can someone comply if that's the time you have to make that decision?

the problem with the speed argument is that how can someone comply if that's the time you have to make that decision?

That's a great point, and with that in consideration it's obvious that compliance was never really an expected result. He was just requesting it to give himself cover.

I stopped watching after Eric Garner (or at least I try very seriously to avoid these recordings). I don't think that anyone who watches bodycam footage is ever going to come anywhere close to experiencing what actually happened (for any of these killings). There's so much context and embodiment that just can't be captured/transmitted.

I don't need to see the footage to decide that we still need massive fundamental changes to health/safety/security (point of this thread, I think) to remove all parties from these situations. Until we do, we get more and more bodycam footage.

Just my viewpoint. Not trying to knock anyone, tbh.

as I said, I couldn't finish the video, but my brother says you can hear the cop crying at the end

just so fucking tragic in every way

No wait, I stopped watching after Daniel Shaver because that fucking scarred me. Can't believe I forgot that one.

i have to agree with the speed part of that video. i didn't see the gun, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

i don't know if there was even time for the kid to react to the instructions, which it looked like he was.

very sad situation

as I said, I couldn't finish the video, but my brother says you can hear the cop crying at the end

just so fucking tragic in every way

He’s only crying because he’ll be suspended with pay, have to fill out some extra paperwork, and may have to go through a public trial. If cops actually cared about people’s lives they would be so eager to kill.

He's probably crying because he killed someone. Symbolic attachments tend to shatter in light of traumatic events like that.

yeah, I don't think denying the humanity of individual police officers helps move toward the world I want to live in

and by acab I personally mean as a result of whatever system you want to attribute it to

it's related, in my opinion, to the tragedy of the fact that the best way to economic stability for many people in the country is via the military and/or police department

the cop was probably crying because he just killed a kid, if i had to take a guess, and not because of the paperwork. i did work with a number of police back in my 20s and they are rigid assholes but i don't believe most of them want to just kill a bunch of people. a lot of them go into the police force to help people.

there is the group that does want to just kill people, they stormed the capital and pray to trump...they even killed their own kind! we all know there is overlap, but i don't think we can put all cops in the same box.

He’s only crying because he’ll be suspended with pay, have to fill out some extra paperwork, and may have to go through a public trial. If cops actually cared about people’s lives they would be so eager to kill.

You are justifiably cynical.

If it comes out that he had a gun in his right hand/pocket and dropped it in the second where he stopped and turned around, does that change anyone's opinion?

I still don't think the cop gave him enough time to comply, and hard to fault a 13 year old kid for not knowing his way out of that situation. But not as outrageous as many of the other incidents.

the cop was probably crying because he just killed a kid, if i had to take a guess, and not because of the paperwork. i did work with a number of police back in my 20s and they are rigid assholes but i don't believe most of them want to just kill a bunch of people. a lot of them go into the police force to help people.

there is the group that does want to just kill people, they stormed the capital and pray to trump...they even killed their own kind! we all know there is overlap, but i don't think we can put all cops in the same box.

Did you work with a killer cop? I’m talking about a killer cop, one the cops who would go as far as taking a life.

Obviously this is yet another example of the contrast between how cops treat armed white men (Rittenhouse) vs all others.

Back