• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Dude…this is probably not the best tweet for your aggressive centrism. No shit it’s wrong to steal but it’s fuckin diapers man, no one should feel good about someone getting arrested for stealing diapers.

Well these criminals had 23 other outstanding warrants so it's not like they don't stay busy committing crimes in the neighborhood.

Thank god javert is on the case to close out those jaywalking and process crime warrants.

Thank god javert is on the case to close out those jaywalking and process crime warrants.

So when you hear someone was arrested for shoplifting and had a couple of other warrants out, you assume it was for jaywalking. Makes sense.

So if I come burglarize your house and you call the cops and I get arrested, that would make you a fascist ?

Nobody mentioned fascism, but I am curious what it is that you take umbrage with - criticism of the law or criticism of the police department celebrating?

I’m concerned about the babies who needed those diapers and formula.

I’m more sympathetic towards people who steal for need than for greed.

So when you hear someone was arrested for shoplifting and had a couple of other warrants out, you assume it was for jaywalking. Makes sense.

Depends on what was stolen biff !

If someone steals guns or cars I might assume the warrants might be for something more serious. If someone steals diapers I assume their kid needs diapers. Makes sense to me !

I agree and I think that sentiment (honest or not) is fairly common, but despite that sympathy we all still entrust the protection of property rights to a justice system that we are fully aware does not act upon that sympathy. There is no exception in the law for people that “steal for need rather than greed”. Knowing that, what is the purpose of our collective sympathy if it does not affect the law?

My wife is a theater geek and I love teasing her about Russel Crowe’s singing in Les Mis

Is there a distinction in stealing for need or somewhat Robin Hooding that stuff for those in need? So often it seems people steal in bulk then resell at a discount stolen rate to those in actual need. I think there’s a pretty big difference between direct and indirect.

I agree and I think that sentiment (honest or not) is fairly common, but despite that sympathy we all still entrust the protection of property rights to a justice system that we are fully aware does not act upon that sympathy. There is no exception in the law for people that “steal for need rather than greed”. Knowing that, what is the purpose of our collective sympathy if it does not affect the law?

Does it not affect the law? I don’t know the stats on sentencing for stealing formula vs. stealing cars.

'Merica's pro life party stops caring about babies the moment they're born... as most of us here understand.

Those charges pay back the owner/shareholders. They also tear apart families and lock parents away creating more single parent families that our pro life party hates.

The police department posting a shoplifting bust on Twitter is beyond stupid. It’s like tweeting the results of a mid-afternoon license check on a side street.

The police department posting a shoplifting bust on Twitter is beyond stupid. It’s like tweeting the results of a mid-afternoon license check on a side street.

Ok, then I think we all agree on that, you and I included. That police department looks petty as hell posting the pile of diapers and laundry detergent they recovered like it’s a drug bust. Regarding us criticizing law in general, I assume that all of us here believe in basic property rights, ergo theft being illegal - where we might disagree is to the degrees in which different types and levels of theft are differentiated in policing attention and prosecution.

It’s a common occurrence in life that some times when you neglect a problem it only gets worse until it become unmanageable. This is the perspective I take when I think about people stealing diapers. You can logically argue that it’s not societies responsibility to care for individual children needs, but nevertheless needy children are a problem that society can not afford to neglect. So when you see that diaper stealing parents have been arrested, do you believe that addressed the problem? I would argue those needy children and poor parents are even worse off than before, and *eventually* that will be a problem that society pays for - likely a much more costly problem than the price of diapers.

Have there been posts about the mass shooter in Portland?

Back