• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

trying hard to remove personal bias on israel/palestine here, doesn't it feel like an objectively wrongheaded strategy to be so heavy-handed on student protestors if you goal is to get them to stop/not be disruptive?

seems like you could do mostly nothing and things would just fizzle out as the school year ended

police response giving so much oxygen to the protests

I thought a good bit about that this morning actually.

It's probably easier to say that from where we are as opposed to being on campus with them (especially smaller ones where those encampments would alter the day-to-day of nearly everybody on campus). I don't agree at all with the way that the NYPD/Columbia handled that situation, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere imo - it's just about finding it.

yes, easier to say from a distance, but by that same measure, if it was just a campus issue then I probably never would have heard about it to begin with

(probably not true; i've been exposed to a A LOT of media about elite universities that have zero impact on my life because legacy media really loves to make it a story)

per the Twitter, encampment participants are moving their stuff down to Manchester Plaza, still working on the written agreement.

Seems like this has been handled well by all parties so far. Admin takes it seriously, continues open communication, tries to get common ground on what is and is not acceptable, gets it on paper. Should help prevent some of the things we've seen on other campuses.

I think at the root of all these protests is not only the "an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere", but also just a plea from students to be heard about a plethora of things. Addressing those concerns by the admin and giving credence to them helps a lot.

gotta think that some of the response is informed by those in power who personally wish to see them removed though?

as in: donors, politicans, etc. who can influence operations or introduce constraints on operations if they wished to.

gotta think that some of the response is informed by those in power who personally wish to see them removed though?

as in: donors, politicans, etc. who can influence operations or introduce constraints on operations if they wished to.
"Shut this down now or I'm not giving anymore money."

yeah, good point.

I think at the root of all these protests is not only the "an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere", but also just a plea from students to be heard about a plethora of things. Addressing those concerns by the admin and giving credence to them helps a lot.
saw a really vivid photo that said "protestors arrested 3; sexual abusers arrested 0" or something like that

i know from first hand experience and from stories of others academia/institutions have almost uniformly done an awful job of handling these issues. often by attempting to resolve them within the institution or by flat out refusing to act. i wouldn't be surprised if other grievances arise as students speak out on the more visible issue of israel's occupation

trying hard to remove personal bias on israel/palestine here, doesn't it feel like an objectively wrongheaded strategy to be so heavy-handed on student protestors if you goal is to get them to stop/not be disruptive?

seems like you could do mostly nothing and things would just fizzle out as the school year ended

police response giving so much oxygen to the protests

Yeah, sure. And these same kids can just have their graduation over Zoom like they did in 2020. Maybe work around all the trespassers who have been told to leave by the university.

1714571529452.png

1714571468686.png

IMO the response to the protests has been so heavy handed because the people in power at major institutions refuse to concede any of that decision making power through coercion, and they are insulted by students protesting their decision making.

It’s a general theory of mine that those with institutional power, gained through the traditional methods of influence, money, and inheritance, consider protests to be an illegitimate means to take their institutional power, and those in power fear that allowing any protest to succeed in creating change will have a snowball effect in providing hope to the masses. The fire of small revolutions have to be extinguished quickly so they can’t grow.

I didn’t see her touch the cop. But you definitely can’t touch a cop because that’s how it’s gonna end up 100 percent of the time. Well, probably not 100 because there’s always the chance you get tazed or shot.
I didn't see it either, but we had a bad angle. I was just commenting that it looked like she was bending down and reaching out towards one of the cops that was wrestling with the protest kids. Poor "over-certain" verbiage on my part.

okay juice that's your second "say what you will about" today you only get one more

Back