• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I thnk you all are misunderstanding pour. What he was trying to say, in an admittedly inelegant fashion, was

well

fuck it, I got nothing. That guy is messed up in the head.

I some ways, I completely agree. I some ways, I absolutely don't agree. That used to be the case 100%, but I really don't see it now given all the advantages we give minorities in this country and given all the changes in culture in general. You can not tell me a white redneck has more opportunities than a black dude. We hand minorities all sorts of opportunities that whites can't access. It's everywhere and it negatively affects low economic whites the most.

Does a black man get looked upon with more skepticism/suspicion than a white redneck? Absolutely and that affects the ability of a black dude to "get by" but now we're starting to split hairs. We base those suspicions on stereotypes. A general black guy is going to be feared about like a white skin head if walking down a street. Both will be avoided by most whites if possible...and blacks will avoid the skinhead. What still needs to change is THAT stereotype. We shouldn't immediately fear black men..and neither should the cops. That's what IMO these incidents are really about. That's not a "war on blacks" as PhDeac and others have thrown out. It's not an issue of needing to push the notion that "black lives matter" as if the white community doesn't value their lives (which is pretty insulting actually). It's an issue with certain old stereotypes/fears that have not gone away, but they center around stereotypes that have been perpetuated by certain elements within the black community.

That's the big elephant in the room the activists don't want to accept. It's changing but it's slow and it's just going to take time.

I'll say one thing...I've had a lot of black friends/colleagues over the years from up and down the economic scale and have always been pretty aggressive in talking about these issues, even 30 years ago when it was pretty taboo to bring race issues up. I made a lot of connections that way, and a lot of friends. One of the guys here calls me the blackest white guy he's ever known. I learned a lot of things that most whites have never experienced...of which I've been grateful. Growing up in Durham in the 1950s kind of stuff. But it was always me asking all the tough questions...until about a year ago. Then I've had black guys I don't even really know bringing up this stuff and it's been really crazy lately. They want to really talk about it and are asking my opinion about cops, race issues, etc. (and I say the same things I say here). That tells me a lot. This Brown incident has caused us to turn another corner, maybe the final one because talking it out is what has to happen.

And that's a good thing.

That should wrap up the dumbest post of 2014 contest...

Honestly, Saneff may be dethroned.

I put it more in the category with Rico's pretending to be a black guy post. Like one was the more satirical version of the other.

B4nJLVOCAAA1zyK.jpg

Fascist undercover CHP officer during a protest in (I think) Oakland. I'll defer to Elkman but I'm pretty sure that's not good gun safety.

Can you explain your rage on this one? From what I'm reading the cops were attacked; the guy pulled out a baton and then went for his gun when the crowd continued to advance on them. I'm all about police accountability, but this particular incident doesn't seem to deserve the ire it's getting imho

I don't know much about guns so this is probably wrong but I cannot possibly imagine a situation where holding the gun sidearmed is proper protocol.

Maybe it's an action shot though and he's rotating it up to normal position. I have no idea.

I think the earnestness of the response from Saneff and Pour put them in a different category. I always assumed Rico was just trying to be funny (albeit pretty poorly) whereas Saneff and Pour think they're making legitimate points and typed up manifestos only to then discover otherwise. Obviously thinking the president isn't black is a whole different level of crazy than the other two posts, but the whole "we hand minorities all sorts of opportunities that whites can't access" argument is pretty dumb. Again this is pretty damn on point:

concise_color.png

Can you explain your rage on this one? From what I'm reading the cops were attacked; the guy pulled out a baton and then went for his gun when the crowd continued to advance on them. I'm all about police accountability, but this particular incident doesn't seem to deserve the ire it's getting imho

Just feel like cops shouldn't aim their weapons at the press (my understanding is the photo is a press photo).

From what I've read, he was instigating vandalism and got called out on it by actual protestors. Plus, when he pulled out the gun, there were dozens of cops nearby anyway. He wasn't really threatened.

You speak in such odd absolutes. I don't know the circumstances behind the picture, but what if he felt the press was threatening his safety?

Well the pen is mightier than the sword. You have a point.

Back