• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

This is accurate and I wish more people were saying it. And I do blame the media for this aspect as the media has painted the issue as all one side or the other.

You can have great regard for your fellow citizens and still want them to be held to high standards. Frankly, I'm not sure your regard for your fellow citizens is that high if you don't want people held to high standards.

You are making my point for me.

If the explanation for violence, absentee fathers, and unemployment is primarily direct individual decisions then you would expect to see similar rates of those things regardless of race

UNLESS you are suggesting that certain races are inherently worse at making those individual decisions.

Inherently worse, no. Currently worse in today's culture and society, yes.

Or different cultures value and promote different things.

As in, there is a reason that Asians are discriminated against while trying to get into a school. It's not because Asians are genetically superior intellectually than white folks. As a group, that culture places a higher priority on education.

As in, there is a reason that Asians are discriminated against while trying to get into a school. It's not because Asians are genetically superior intellectually than white folks. As a group, that culture places a higher priority on education.

Don't bother.

You can provide context for people's circumstances, life decisions, and outcomes and still hold them to high standards.

Apparently not, if racism from 30 years ago (and the current form thereof) is to be considered the primary reason and a valid excuse for murder, absentee fathers, and unemployment.

Oh she's making the claim too. And she's an expert on the subject. But if reading a book is too difficult for you here's a ten minute video

He includes a lot of proven examples of systemic racism

One of his examples is that the fed raises interest rates when unemployment gets too low because the system wants to keep minorities down. Do you really believe that?

His first example was that top performing 8th grade minority students are less likely to be placed into advanced HS classes, and he blames that on systematic racism, but provides no details on how these classes are chosen, who is involved, who gets final say.

You might want to find a better spokesman.

One of his examples is that the fed raises interest rates when unemployment gets too low because the system wants to keep minorities down. Do you really believe that?

His first example was that top performing 8th grade minority students are less likely to be placed into advanced HS classes, and he blames that on systematic racism, but provides no details on how these classes are chosen, who is involved, who gets final say.

You might want to find a better spokesman.

Nope, nope, nope. He is on the internet and videotaped in front of a podium, so it is FACT. it wouldn't surprise me if that is KenPom himself masquerading behind a beard and earth tones.

Neither is "holding people to high standards."

Lowering standards---the ugliest bigotry---can be used to artificially suppress standards and therefore outcomes. Subsidizing bad choices--in the good and Holy name of "context" all the way---has done this to tragic effect.

jesus, my parents must have been abject failures then

i carried around airsoft guns for years as a kid, took em everywhere

yeah, except i had a BB gun and later a .22 LR when I hiked around in the woods/farm fields. but i'm a white kid from a rural area. im not sure that was the height of responsibility, though. that was 20+ years ago; i wouldn't let my kids do the same now, even if i were raising them in the same area.

i find it hard to believe that you honestly think it's good parenting to let your kid run around a suburban/urban playground with a toy gun like Rice's, black or white.

It was exceedingly common in my middle school and high school. We played "Assassin" where dozens of kids were assigned other kids, and you shot them and you were out of the game when you were shot. It extended to Wake, too. Just kept it off campuses.

And then New Town happened and we all became even more hypersensitive to guns (real or fake) around schools.

I used to have friends over and we would drink in my parent's basement.

Now that sort of thing can get a parent arrested. Standards change.

yeah, they did it my sophomore year (2003); may have been townie's freshman year (?). but i thought it was nerf guns, not airsoft

Back