• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

Junebug would HATE this show

ghostwriter.jpg

There are more white actors than there are available roles. So when a racial quota is imposed, which it is, deserving white actors are squeezed out of roles. Are deserving minorities being squeezed out of more prominent roles? Of course. Both of these things can be -- and are -- true.

It may be true that white actors -- as a class -- are doing just fine. But that does not change the fact that quotas have a deleterious impact on deserving white *individuals* based on nothing more than the color of their skin. The fact that Bradley Cooper and other ultra-famous white actors are doing well is irrelevant to this point.

Call me crazy, but I am of the view that hiring -- including hiring of actors -- should be race neutral. I guess I wrongly assumed that position would gain more traction on these boards. I would allow an exception for historical productions (it would detract from the experience if Roots, for example, had they cast white people as slaves) but that is it.

Nicholas Cage

There are more white actors than there are available roles. So when a racial quota is imposed, which it is, deserving white actors are squeezed out of roles. Are deserving minorities being squeezed out of more prominent roles? Of course. Both of these things can be -- and are -- true.

It may be true that white actors -- as a class -- are doing just fine. But that does not change the fact that quotas have a deleterious impact on deserving white *individuals* based on nothing more than the color of their skin. The fact that Bradley Cooper and other ultra-famous white actors are doing well is irrelevant to this point.

Call me crazy, but I am of the view that hiring -- including hiring of actors -- should be race neutral. I guess I wrongly assumed that position would gain more traction on these boards. I would allow an exception for historical productions (it would detract from the experience if Roots, for example, had they cast white people as slaves) but that is it.

Do you notice how not even the other board conservatives are taking up this fight with you?

Consider that a clue.

I wanna see Junebug's casting calls for white Djangos and black Derek Vinyards.

Far better than "race neutrality," whatever that is, would be a Hollywood that reflects America. We don't have that but we're moving towards it, fitfully.

of all the mountains to die on for the anti-affirmative action cause, this has to be the one most resembling a molehill.

I don't need other people to tell me race-based hiring and quotas are problematic.

There is literally 0 evidence of race-based hiring or quotas in the film industry, unless it's casting white actors based on them being white or producing screenplays that are based around white characters. You're fucking insane.

This doesn't sound like "quotas" to me. It sounds like minority actors are finally getting a close to legitimate shot at many parts.

"The change is welcomed by talent agents who no longer have to call casting directors and ask them if they would possibly consider an ethnic actor for a part, knowing they would most likely be rejected. “I feel that the tide has turned,” one agent said. “I can pitch any actor for any role, and I think that’s good.”

Back