• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

I'd love an example of a good effective protest with no other spin resulting in a side not getting it.

2&2 isn't completely wrong, the kneeling started and still stands for inequality and protest but yesterday the new people kneeling were in protest to trump and his attack on those that previously kneeled. However anyone that thinks it's some monstrous disrespectful thing to the country and military probably has the America fuck yeah white washed history of this country being touched by God that can do no wrong ohh and is an ultimate rube.

I mean trumps comments basically solidify him as a 70 year old Facebook meme poster. The other part that is being glossed over is the fuck safety the NFL sucks now because they somewhat care about the players health.

I agree with the last part 100%. I also think that line of logic is consistent with his feelings on Kap. He seems to profess that players (and potentially all workers) aren't really human beings as much as pieces of a machine.

I'd love an example of a good effective protest with no other spin resulting in a side not getting it.

Pretty damn easy. "We're not playing another down for your entertainment until every police officer in [hometown city] is required to wear an operating body camera at all times, and no arrests made while said body camera is not operating will be valid." Done deal.

Which, again, is the sign of an awful protest. If it was a good protest then there would only be one way to see the protesters' position.

So what's your idea of an effecive protest:

1) Complain for decades and hold peaceful marches on MLK Day
2) Kneel during the national anthem before NFL games
3) Smash windows and burn down the business district

So what's your idea of an effecive protest:

1) Complain for decades and hold peaceful marches on MLK Day
2) Kneel during the national anthem before NFL games
3) Smash windows and burn down the business district

I don't think any of them are particularly effective.

These protests haven't been effective either, which is my point. What have these protests done to improve police brutality? Not a goddamn thing. All they have done is cause arguments like this over honoring the flag and military and respect and OWGs, and now mostly Trump. I'm not arguing their right to protest, so long as the NFL is cool with it then go right ahead, it doesn't bother me. My point is that they have been misguided and ineffective protests with respect to their intended message.

Correct, and the NFL may not be cool with it for much longer. They are in business for one reason.

It would be interesting to hear from some police brass on whether or not the attention from the protests in Ferguson, Baltimore, and Kaep have led to more training and other risk mitigation tactics if for no other reason because they don't want to deal with the blowback of something happening on their force.

Timely for the rubes:

In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police. The posts on social media deeply disturbed me, but one in particular brought me to tears: the killing of Alton Sterling in my hometown Baton Rouge, La. This could have happened to any of my family members who still live in the area. I felt furious, hurt and hopeless. I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what or how to do it.

A few weeks later, during preseason, my teammate Colin Kaepernick chose to sit on the bench during the national anthem to protest police brutality. To be honest, I didn’t notice at the time, and neither did the news media. It wasn’t until after our third preseason game on Aug. 26, 2016, that his protest gained national attention, and the backlash against him began.

That’s when my faith moved me to take action. I looked to James 2:17, which states, “Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” I knew I needed to stand up for what is right.

I approached Colin the Saturday before our next game to discuss how I could get involved with the cause but also how we could make a more powerful and positive impact on the social justice movement. We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system. We also discussed how we could use our platform, provided to us by being professional athletes in the N.F.L., to speak for those who are voiceless.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

to destroy the world of men

2&2 with JH and Sailor:

latest

These protests haven't been effective either, which is my point. What have these protests done to improve police brutality? Not a goddamn thing. All they have done is cause arguments like this over honoring the flag and military and respect and OWGs, and now mostly Trump. I'm not arguing their right to protest, so long as the NFL is cool with it then go right ahead, it doesn't bother me. My point is that they have been misguided and ineffective protests with respect to their intended message.

Totally. Black people could sit anywhere they wanted on a bus the day after Rosa Parks was arrested. No arguments were caused whatsoever.

The point of protests is to cause arguments, to make people think, and to hopefully, some day, solve the issue. If white people weren't so upset by this then no one would be talking about it and everyone would just ignore the protest and keep on watching football like they've always done before. That in my opinion would be a misguided protest. If people don't care about what you're doing, there's no point in doing it. Protest don't bring change immediately.

And stop saying they could kneel during a play of the game. You know they would get benched and would therefore no longer have a platform for protest. That's a misguided protest.

White people made the protests about disrespecting the military and the flag.

this entire thing is dumb. fuck trump and his bs...what a joke of an administration.

all of these offended people about people expressing their american right to free speech will come crawling back once the dust settles. sheep follow.

Remember when certain folks on the right told us that the left freaking out about stuff like Russia's involvement in the election, the President being a birther who sexually assaults women, and the right's refusal to condemn white supremacy was just liberals being hysterical?

What does the right's response to NFL players conducting a peaceful protest during the national anthem qualify as?

Back