• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

That's looney enough, but just as distressing is all the "amens" and "preach brother" comments this guy no doubt got in response.

Oh, yeah. He's developed quite a cult following in my old hometown, and his rants easily get 100 or more "likes" and "loves" from people. If he doesn't post for awhile, some even start more or less begging him to post his "wisdom" and opinions on various subjects. And, yes, there's already plenty of "preach brother!" and similar comments.

Oh, yeah. He's developed quite a cult following in my old hometown, and his rants easily get 100 or more "likes" and "loves" from people. If he doesn't post for awhile, some even start more or less begging him to post his "wisdom" and opinions on various subjects. And, yes, there's already plenty of "preach brother!" and similar comments.

That's disappointing. Given your handle, I was hoping there can only be one.

Something like that shows up on my feed pretty much daily from numerous people. It's a pretty common belief among southern white evangelicals, usually coupled with "this is the natural progression from removing God from schools."

6e169c4dfbcf88495b445cbee004c350.jpg

Not Facebook, but The State Newspaper (Columbia, SC) posted the following article entitled "Reparations for slavery should be included in any new SC constitution, senator says."

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article203673294.html

The substance of the article can be easily summarized with this quote: “'If the door is opened for a constitutional convention, last amended in 1895 to systematically disenfranchise African-Americans, I plan to introduce the subject of reparations for the descendants of slaves who built this state providing free labor,' Kimpson tweeted."

I knew the comments would be bad, but man:

I’ve lived in S.C. my entire life, but my parents come from NC and VA. As a white male, would I be subject to paying these reparations even though none of my ancestors were South Carolinians?

I’m sorry, but I don’t have the words to express my disdain for the idea of reparations. Anyone, no matter your skin color, can make it in America. Yes, some may have a more difficult time than others, but you can never convince me that someone who has a sound work ethic and makes wise financial decisions can’t become successful in America. Live within your means, don’t go into debt, work hard. Even if you start at zero, that’s how you make it.

If thier accestors had not been brought to America, most would be living in poverty stricken, war torn, disease ridden African nations. They certainly would not be doctors, lawyers, politicians, city/county/state employees or receiving preferential treatment of affirmative action and all the free government benefits given the majority who are rearing multiple children in a home without a father.

Most racial and ethnic groups who came to this country were treated horribly by someone. During WWII 2nd and 3rd generation US citizens who had never lived anywhere but in the US, and spoke only English, but whose grandparents and great grandparents came her from Japan, were given 48 hours to sell their homes and businesses and report to internment prisons. My grandparents emigrated from Russia, where they were slaves, could not own property, vote, choose where to live, etc. Look around the world today. Millions live in extreme poverty, ruled by elite dictators who control everything they can and cannot do, including the right to keep what they produce. Who gets reparations?

Would not LBJ's "War on Poverty" cover that? Since the inception on welfare programs this nation has spent $22 TRILLION. Minorities get preferences in hiring for government jobs, and many provate companies will hire minorities over whites as a way to keep their workforce diversified. How would you handle decendants of slaves who were owned by blacks?
"according to historian R. Halliburton Jr.:
There were approximately 319,599 free blacks in the United States in 1830. Approximately 13.7 per cent of the total black population was free. A significant number of these free blacks were the owners of slaves. The census of 1830 lists 3,775 free Negroes who owned a total of 12,760 slaves." https://www.snopes.com/facts-about-slavery/

Perhaps a better way of handling this issues is looking at the counties with majority minority populations and work to inprove education, health care, jobs, etc?

Um those comments are significantly tamer than many on the reparations thread on the Tunnels from last year.

Yeah, just the usual you’re welcome for bringing you from Africa even though you were slaves.

With the exception of breathe clean air (admittedly a big problem), I think republicans and democrats want all those things listed. They just have different proposed means of getting there, both need each other to form compromises and keep one party from going off the rails. I.e republicans need democrats so they don't destroy the planet, and democrats need republicans so they don't run our economy into the ground.

The biggest problem of modern politics in this era is the belief that the other side and\or team is evil, and we need to hunker in our far left or right bunkers and not budge to compromise.

Last edited:
With the exception of breathe clean air (admittedly a big problem), I think republicans and democrats want all those things listed. They just have different proposed means of getting there, both need each other to form compromises and keep one party from going off the rails. I.e republicans need democrats so they don't destroy the planet, and democrats need republicans so they don't run our economy into the ground.

The biggest problem of modern politics in this era is the belief that the other side and\or team is evil, and we need to hunker in our far left our right bunkers and not budge to compromise.

In what way(s) have Republicans moved to do any of those things

Democrats try to fix issues right now through legislation which probably creates dependence on government programs and pisses off a lot of old white people

Republicans try to fix issues through job creation which probably lets those most in need fall through the cracks and allows abuses but man does their hair look good

Both try to oversimplify complex issues which makes the internet great

What are Republicans doing for job creation?

Back