• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook

That's nice of you to say. Wasn't my intention. Just trying to explain to an old guy how Facebook works and could be considered valuable to someone who doesn't have a rote existence, as if the 1.1 billion users weren't enough.

Life is busy? For someone in tech, it's strange you don't have an understanding of efficiency.

i still fail to see how dicking around on facebook is more efficient than sending a text, email or making a phone call.

though i suppose the main point is that i have better things to do than monitor every tiny aspect of the lives of everybody i know. maybe it's because i have kids and care more about that than whether somebody i went to high school with is now fat or went to mexico last week.

if on iPhone FB app: the next time that person posts, there will be a downward pointing arrow at the upper right of his post. Click on it and you are given 2 options: 1) I don't want to see this and 2)Unfollow. Choose Unfollow as #1 just removes that 1 post/update.

Can't access FB at work, so if that doesn't work for you, just Google how to remove someone from facebook news feed and you will see tons of help, including stuff from the facebook website.

thanks

i still fail to see how dicking around on facebook is more efficient than sending a text, email or making a phone call.

though i suppose the main point is that i have better things to do than monitor every tiny aspect of the lives of everybody i know. maybe it's because i have kids and care more about that than whether somebody i went to high school with is now fat or went to mexico last week.

Well, again, if you don't have shitty friends, that's not an issue. Not like you would even know whether you have better things to do since you've never even used Facebook.

I guess it depends on how you use it. A lot of times I'll get on there specifically to connect with/message/find people whose email addresses I don't have and get in touch with them that way. It's no different than email, but more efficient because boom- the person is right there, and if they need to then connect me with someone else, you can easily link them in.

Well, again, if you don't have shitty friends, that's not an issue. Not like you would even know whether you have better things to do since you've never even used Facebook.

no, i do know that i have better things to do than dick around on facebook. i also have better things to do than post here.

so i draw the line, keep up with my friends without using facebook (using the ridiculously inefficient method of email, text and/or phone) and choose to spend my time doing things other than fiddling around online. maybe it's because i have to do tech related shit all day and need a break.

That's nice of you to say. Wasn't my intention. Just trying to explain to an old guy how Facebook works and could be considered valuable to someone who doesn't have a rote existence, as if the 1.1 billion users weren't enough.

Life is busy? For someone in tech, it's strange you don't have an understanding of efficiency.

Keeping in such close touch with all your little friends has made you quite presumptuous. My life is anything but rote, despite what 1 billion other people do. I'd be glad to regale you with stories sometime over a beer (if you are over the legal age, of course).

Besides, what could be more rote than spending your time monitoring the lives of every friend you have ever made on a computer, and updating them with the minutiae of yours?

Oh, and I'm in IT too. I know all about dynamics and change and efficiency and all that stuff you whippersnappers like.

i think there's a disconnect here for the folks that are hating on it where you don't seem to understand the difference b/w people that use FB to store pics, track down friends when visiting a city, say what's up to a cousin, etc. and the people that post inane shit non-stop and can't stay off it. much like most anything, there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way to use it. it's great for me because i can ignore it except when i need it. like i found a friend that i hadnt connected with in years when i moved out west, and i would have had a hell of a time tracking him down when moving out here. now he's one of my best friends in the city. it was easy and awesome.

i think there's a disconnect here for the folks that are hating on it where you don't seem to understand the difference b/w people that use FB to store pics, track down friends when visiting a city, say what's up to a cousin, etc. and the people that post inane shit non-stop and can't stay off it. much like most anything, there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way to use it. it's great for me because i can ignore it except when i need it. like i found a friend that i hadnt connected with in years when i moved out west, and i would have had a hell of a time tracking him down when moving out here. now he's one of my best friends in the city. it was easy and awesome.

This.

All of this bullshit about "staying updated with the vapid minutiae of every waking moment for thousands of people" stuff only comes into play if you have shitty friends and/or don't know how to use Facebook.

This.

All of this bullshit about "staying updated with the vapid minutiae of every waking moment for thousands of people" stuff only comes into play if you have shitty friends and/or don't know how to use Facebook.

I don't understand how this is even a conversation? bigdoublezero has summarized the argument in one sentence. If you are taking an anti-Facebook stance, you are just being a contrarian tool.

I don't understand how this is even a conversation? bigdoublezero has summarized the argument in one sentence. If you are taking an anti-Facebook stance, you are just being a contrarian tool.

I will NOT stand here and watch you call Milhouse of all posters a contrarian tool.

But seriously, this has been fantastic watching Milhouse on the defensive. These are some of his longest posts. And he's pulled out I'M IN TECHNOLOGY and I HAVE KIDS SO I'M TOO BUSY FOR FACEBOOK. I only wish there was another Milhouse to make fun of him for it.

best pro-FB post yet.

if you "like" it then you better put a rep on on it...

beyonce+single+ladies+put+a+ring+on+it+animated+gif.gif

I will NOT stand here and watch you call Milhouse of all posters a contrarian tool.

But seriously, this has been fantastic watching Milhouse on the defensive. These are some of his longest posts. And he's pulled out I'M IN TECHNOLOGY and I HAVE KIDS SO I'M TOO BUSY FOR FACEBOOK. I only wish there was another Milhouse to make fun of him for it.

there can be only one

I would think PhDeac in his immense knowledge of all things and specifically his acumen in Sociology would get my point better than anyone. FB is the most significant sociological development of the past 50 years, at least. Maybe the pill rivals it.

Still does't mean that all its effects are positive.

Facebook also gets a lot of the small talk out of the way when you actually do get to see an old friend.

I was in my sister's wedding when my youngest was 7 weeks. My wife and boys didn't come with me. I saw family and friends I hadn't seen in many years and even some of my sister's friends who I had never met.

Not a single person asked me where I live or what I do for a living or if I'm married or have kids. Everybody knew from my sister's or mom's Facebook.

Nobody even asked to see pictures of the boys. They saw them on Facebook.

I was able to have real conversations.

I would think PhDeac in his immense knowledge of all things and specifically his acumen in Sociology would get my point better than anyone. FB is the most significant sociological development of the past 50 years, at least. Maybe the pill rivals it.

Still does't mean that all its effects are positive.

Nobody is saying they are all positive.

Facebook also gets a lot of the small talk out of the way when you actually do get to see an old friend.

I was in my sister's wedding when my youngest was 7 weeks. My wife and boys didn't come with me. I saw family and friends I hadn't seen in many years and even some of my sister's friends who I had never met.

Not a single person asked me where I live or what I do for a living or if I'm married or have kids. Everybody knew from my sister's or mom's Facebook.

Nobody even asked to see pictures of the boys. They saw them on Facebook.

I was able to have real conversations.

Uh, really? That is your case for Facebook's merits? That you didn't have to have small talk because a bunch of people, some of whom you had never met, already knew a bunch of shit about you and had seen your kids?

Fucking fuck that. I guess it's a generational hing or a flat out laziness thing, but i don't see that as some great life convenience at all. So you feel meeting people face to face is just a huge hassle that you need your computer to work out for you so you can have the extra time to have real conversations? Lol holy shit this generation is fucking lame

Nobody is saying they are all positive.

You like having your life story laid out for you on the computer before you get to weddings and shit so you don't have to have small talk. Where does that line up in sociology?

Back