• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook

lbE08

Stegosaurus are bush league
Reaction score
Discuss.

(moving the conversation off the Unpopular Opinions thread)

Hate it.

But I use it to keep up with friends. It's the Rolodex of the 21st Century.

As mentioned on the other thread, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I've recently started being way more liberal in my 'unfollow' clicking just to get the annoying stuff off of there from folks that i'm not really close with, especially if unfriending them is more trouble than it's worth, but for the most part, I appreciate a lot that I can pretty easily see what friends and family scattered around the country are up to.
I do think the whole idea that people are getting more stressed because they're always comparing themselves to someone's best side (because people only post their best self on there) is really interesting, but at least for me/my social circle, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm not really friends with anyone that dumb or immature...

Hate it.

But I use it to keep up with friends. It's the Rolodex of the 21st Century.

This. Though it can be useful in revealing things about who people really are (oddly enough) and appropriately cutting ties with those people.

As mentioned on the other thread, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I've recently started being way more liberal in my 'unfollow' clicking just to get the annoying stuff off of there from folks that i'm not really close with, especially if unfriending them is more trouble than it's worth, but for the most part, I appreciate a lot that I can pretty easily see what friends and family scattered around the country are up to.
I do think the whole idea that people are getting more stressed because they're always comparing themselves to someone's best side (because people only post their best self on there) is really interesting, but at least for me/my social circle, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm not really friends with anyone that dumb or immature...

Oh man, I don't know about people only posting their best side. For some that's true, but for others their true colors leak into the internet via Facebook.

Oh man, I don't know about people only posting their best side. For some that's true, but for others their true colors leak into the internet via Facebook.

Oh, definitely - I mean more the fact that they only post flattering photos of themselves, and they'll only do status updates of "just went to __ for dinner - best meal ever!" "my boyfriend sent me flowers at work and had chocolate waiting at home, best bf ever!" That type of shit, which represents maybe 10% of their normal life activities, but that's what people post about so others reading it are jealous, thinking they're behind on living some fabulous life.

Oh, definitely - I mean more the fact that they only post flattering photos of themselves, and they'll only do status updates of "just went to __ for dinner - best meal ever!" "my boyfriend sent me flowers at work and had chocolate waiting at home, best bf ever!" That type of shit, which represents maybe 10% of their normal life activities, but that's what people post about so others reading it are jealous, thinking they're behind on living some fabulous life.

I think there are a lot of people that do this but also a lot of people that post anything and everything that they're doing whether it's flattering or not.

I don't get the hate. It's not like I love it. Sometimes random acquaintances post annoying things, which I ignore. Bottom line is it's absurdly useful.

The funny thing about facebook is that people complain about their newsfeed and what ends up on it, which is one of the things you can control the most.

The funny thing about facebook is that people complain about their newsfeed and what ends up on it, which is one of the things you can control the most.

Exactly.

I like Facebook. I tend to have a pretty strong YOU DO YOU philosophy about life though. People post some ignorant shit, and I usually just laugh about it. It's a great way to keep in touch with people. I do dislike how it's becoming increasingly used in business. It's helpful information, but I hate being sold things. Social media in general is so much better when there is an exchange of ideas rather than a marketplace, but I could be alone on that since I am a COMMIELIB.

Great, for the most part. I do enjoy keeping up with friends & family who are all over the world......however, I get REALLY annoyed with people who live out their lives on FB & post anything & everything that is going on in their life.

For example, I don't care that your kid got sent home from school because the school decided to enforce their dress code or changed their interpretation of it. Likewise, I don't want to read how your BF or GF just yelled at you & hurt your feelings.

So... hide them from your newsfeed?

I guess I could (I honestly don't pay much attention to the settings stuff) but then how could I keep up with the relevant stuff in their lives I do care about? Can I have it both ways? Also, I coach a couple of teams & we have "Secret groups" for each team. The annoying ones don't post the crap on the team pages but on their general feed. If I hide on the newsfeed would I still be able to see what they post on team page of the "secret group?"

I guess I could (I honestly don't pay much attention to the settings stuff) but then how could I keep up with the relevant stuff in their lives I do care about? Can I have it both ways? Also, I coach a couple of teams & we have "Secret groups" for each team. The annoying ones don't post the crap on the team pages but on their general feed. If I hide on the newsfeed would I still be able to see what they post on team page of the "secret group?"

Yes. As long as you're on the group page, you'll see whatever is posted on the group page. On your newsfeed, you won't see what they post.

I got rid of Facebook nearly 4 years ago, and I feel like I've gotten so much more done in my life since then.

The book is awesome. Shows you who's cool and who's not. Simple as that. Like, my step-brother posted a picture of his newborn baby the other day. Total loser, uggo baby. UNFRIEND! Way harder to do that in person. And plus without the book, I would've probably had to show up at the baptism to find out how stupid-looking this kid is. Now, I got another free day on my calendar to catch up on my glutes workouts.

On the flip side, you got this guy I eat sunflower seeds with. Thought he was a total dweeb because his ponytail wasn't long enough. And then, I friended him on the book. Well, it frickin turns out that he took a picture with Jon goddamn Bon Jovi one time. Egg on my face lol. Before I saw that pic, I wouldn't let him put his hand in my bag of seeds. Now? I'd let him bang my fucking wife.

And that's just a couple of stories among many. When you deal with as many people as I do, you need info, and you need info fast. It's a cutthroat world, so cut or be cut. Sure, I have a few private eyes on my staff, but when you been in this town as long as I have, you come to realize that people's biggest secrets are the ones they don't know enough to hide. The book is the fountain of those secrets, and I'm the guy guzzling...

I totally agree. Post-college years are stressful in many ways (finances, jobs, moving to new cities, etc.) and it adds to that stress seeing everyone else living the "perfect life" (or so we are led to think). I am curious about the (negative) psychological/sociological ramifications of social media on this generation.

Instagram is even worse IMO (ie: seeing a picture someone's perfect dinner with their gf/bf while you are sitting there eating cold pasta out of the pot).

Why does it bother some people to see perfect snapshots in their friends' lives?

Back