• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook

It's not a new phenomenon but it also doesn't apply to every single person.

I like it. I helps you keep some contact with people who you'd completely lose touch with otherwise. On the other hand, I think it prevents picking up the phone to call an old friend because you feel like you're basically up-to-date on their lives.

The other problem is that there seems to be an inverse relationship between how interesting you are as a person and how often you post on facebook. The most interesting friends I have don't ever post.

I like it. I helps you keep some contact with people who you'd completely lose touch with otherwise. On the other hand, I think it prevents picking up the phone to call an old friend because you feel like you're basically up-to-date on their lives.

The other problem is that there seems to be an inverse relationship between how interesting you are as a person and how often you post on facebook. The most interesting friends I have don't ever post.

Probably because they're out doing interesting things and not slumming online.

I'm kind of indifferent towards FB. I think about not using it, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm a bit introverted so I justify using it as a way to stay plugged in to whats going on with people.

Its for old people now but I enjoy having it on because I can keep up w/ my HS classmates.

Plus I'm old

Probably because they're out doing interesting things and not slumming online.

I'm kind of indifferent towards FB. I think about not using it, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm a bit introverted so I justify using it as a way to stay plugged in to whats going on with people.

Don't quit! Your food posts give me cooking inspiration :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I know I spend way too much time on FB, but I really like it for what it is. I certainly have friends who only post the "perfect" sides of their lives. But I also have plenty of friends that post about the bad (whether it is looking for commiseration from others in the same situation or sharing a lesson learned). I guess I get jealous when a friend posts awesome pictures from a vacation or something, but I also like seeing what is going on in their lives.

With a kid it's been great to post pictures and share updates with extended family who I wouldn't normally email or keep up with quite as much.

And what would I do with out the OGBroads' FB Group?!

Great for keeping up with when people's birthdays are. I also get to arbitrarily decide the level of friendship I have with some of my facebook friends and see if they will get a "Happy Birthday" from me. Obviously if I remember them wishing me one then they'll get that note. Other times it's random. Some are just not going to get a Happy Birthday regardless but I'll still ignore their newsfeed and not unfriend them so no real apparent reason.

Great for keeping up with when people's birthdays are. I also get to arbitrarily decide the level of friendship I have with some of my facebook friends and see if they will get a "Happy Birthday" from me. Obviously if I remember them wishing me one then they'll get that note. Other times it's random. Some are just not going to get a Happy Birthday regardless but I'll still ignore their newsfeed and not unfriend them so no real apparent reason.

:dancindeac:

Yeah, I'm not sure my internal algorithm for who I wish Happy Birthday.

I like it. Almost all my good friends from WFU have left the state. Without FB most of those friendships would just wither. One or both of us would just get too busy in life to keep up their end of the deal.

I don't get the jealousy thing. I'm just happy for my friends when something good happens to them.

I have weeded out all the crazies from my feed, and my posts are generally shared with "Friends Except Acquaintances". Acquaintances is basically where I exiled all the high school peeps who for some reason want to be FB friends even though we weren't really friends in high school.

With every growing day I come closer to deleting it. I wish I had the courage to delete it, twitter, Instagram, etc and also go back to a dumb fun.

All of this shit is just making us dumber, lazier and into bigger derps. And you know I hate derps.

most of my unfriending happens on birthdays. it is odd to think about who gets the birthday wishes and who doesn't. but if I am like "who is that?" then usually they get unfriended on their birthday.

I like facebook. I like seeing people's baby pictures and animal pictures. I like hearing about how lives are going with people who I'd never otherwise chat with, because there just isn't enough time. I like getting feedback on things I'm doing in my life, and I definitely enjoy people congratulating me on things like running long races. Who doesn't like compliments and being told they are awesome/inspiration/etc?

It started going downhill when older people (read: your parents) started using it, but as a whole I like it.

It started going downhill when older people (read: your parents) started using it, but as a whole I like it.

moreso i think it's when the chicks i knew stopped posting bikini shots and started posting baby shots. UNSUBSCRIBE.

I like Facebook. I tend to have a pretty strong YOU DO YOU philosophy about life though. People post some ignorant shit, and I usually just laugh about it. It's a great way to keep in touch with people. I do dislike how it's becoming increasingly used in business. It's helpful information, but I hate being sold things. Social media in general is so much better when there is an exchange of ideas rather than a marketplace, but I could be alone on that since I am a COMMIELIB.

I don't know what I'd do without knowing exactly where you're running every day

Back