• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Wake Basketball Teams

LilburnDeac

Reaction score
As a way to remember that there have been times when being a Wake fan was fun, in this thread we can share what our favorite Wake basketball teams are.

My all-time team is the 1995 ACC Champs. Two legendary players in Childress and Duncan and a great supporting cast with Scooter Banks, Rutland and Peral.

The 1984 Elite 8 Team was another great one. Teachey, Young, Green, Rudd, etc. The win over DePaul is probably the most meaningful and exciting game that I remember, aside from the '95 ACC Championship.

And the 1981 team with Johnson, Helms, Rogers, Morgan and Johnstone was the team that got me completely hooked on Wake hoops as a 10 year old.

Other great ones were the 1993 team, the 1996 repeat ACC champs and the 2003 team.

95 deacs for me. Scooter banks dunk in the dean dome from rutlands pass was my favorite moment, along of course with the Randolph show in the acc tourney.

95 deacs for me. Scooter banks dunk in the dean dome from rutlands pass was my favorite moment, along of course with the Randolph show in the acc tourney.

And the Senior Day game against NCSU. They retired Randolph's jersey and then he almost had a triple double. He was either an assist or rebound short.

Anyone will be inclined to gravitate toward the teams they were in school with. I love all of the teams mentioned in the OP. But I knew players on the '77 team. Skip Brown was my next door neighbor at Brownsboro Road Apartments the summer after he graduated and was drafted by the Celtics.

The '77 team is still my favorite.

I have to go with that '76-'77 team as well.

Leroy McDonald was an old school holdout on the Converse leather shoes. He stuck with the canvas.

94-95 for me. That was our best team that played at a high level for the longest time. That team was national championship caliber.

61-62-63 3 ACC Championship games, 2 ACC Championships, 1 Final Four. WFU has nothing else to top it. Other good years were 77,78, 84, 95, 96, Josh Howard's senior year, and Chris Paul's 2 years, liked all of them.

I have to go with that '76-'77 team as well.

Leroy McDonald was an old school holdout on the Converse leather shoes. He stuck with the canvas.

I got Skip & Leroy to bring a group of former WF players down to Randleman in April, 1978 to play a game in the RHS gym as a joint Lions Club/Recreation Dept fundraiser. Packed that little gym and everyone had a great time. Can't remember all the other players, but Willie Griffin & Rich Habegger were two of them. Rod Griffin was supposed to come but backed out, according to Skip....so he got Frank Johnson & Larry Harrison to come along. They couldn't play because they still had eligibility, so they just gave interviews to the media & signed autographs.

Loved that 1977 team.....even went to the Myriad in Oklahoma City for the Midwest Regional. Out of all the WF players who aren't everyone's "favorite" because they were top stars, Leroy McDonald may be my all-time WF favorite. (Not that he wasn't very good, but he was just never one you immediately thought of when picking top WF players.)

61-62-63 3 ACC Championship games, 2 ACC Championships, 1 Final Four. WFU has nothing else to top it. Other good years were 77,78, 84, 95, 96, Josh Howard's senior year, and Chris Paul's 2 years, liked all of them.

Wake was in the ACC Finals in 7 of the first 11 years the tourney was held including every year from 1960-1964. And then only 3 times in the 50+ years since.

1990-1991 Odom's 2nd year. 19 wins, 3rd in conference, won a NCAA tournament game.

Rogers, Tucker, King, Owens, McQueen, Childress

The return from the darkness. Being in the mix felt good.

1990-1991 Odom's 2nd year. 19 wins, 3rd in conference, won a NCAA tournament game.

Rogers, Tucker, King, Owens, McQueen, Childress

The return from the darkness. Being in the mix felt good.

Loved that squad...don't forget Siler. Still remember sitting in the old Omni with my pops for those La. Tech and Bama games.

Loved that squad...don't forget Siler. Still remember sitting in the old Omni with my pops for those La. Tech and Bama games.

During my time at Wake as well. That team was fun to cheer for. Good combination of talent and toughness.

As a way to remember that there have been times when being a Wake fan was fun, in this thread we can share what our favorite Wake basketball teams are.

My all-time team is the 1995 ACC Champs. Two legendary players in Childress and Duncan and a great supporting cast with Scooter Banks, Rutland and Peral.

The 1984 Elite 8 Team was another great one. Teachey, Young, Green, Rudd, etc. The win over DePaul is probably the most meaningful and exciting game that I remember, aside from the '95 ACC Championship.

And the 1981 team with Johnson, Helms, Rogers, Morgan and Johnstone was the team that got me completely hooked on Wake hoops as a 10 year old.

Other great ones were the 1993 team, the 1996 repeat ACC champs and the 2003 team.

That pretty much covers mine as well. Frank Johnson, Mike Helms, Alvis Rodgers, Guy Morgan and Jim Johnstone are the first guys I have vivid memories of watching as a young kid.

'95 team, '03 team, and the sleeper team is the NIT CHAMPS with the Wizard in '00 when we briefly found the secret to the universe of Ervin Murray at point guard feeding Darius "The Machine" Songaila all the way to the TITLE.

Back