• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Finally.....

If you're wondering where the "Wake Forest got good shots at Clemson" stuff is coming from, it's from an article that actually says [Redacted] is not the answer. The two points of view shouldn't be so mutually exclusive.

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2013011614486/kuipers-3-pointer-clemson-wake.php

1. Wake’s Deficiencies
I just don’t think the Demon Deacons have enough good ACC players. C.J. Harris and Travis McKie are the only players on the roster who can consistently get things done on the offensive end. I thought Wake ran good offense tonight and at times got good quality shots; the Deacs just could not convert.
Tthere were two reasons why the Deccons did not convert on good shots. First, they just plain missed open shots. Tyler Cananaugh was 1-12 from the floor. I know that he is a better shooter than that, but that was an indication of how it went for Wake tonight. The Deacs have to make perimeter shots because they do not have much of an inside game.

Got ya...it's a feeling and not based on results or stats. You've convinced me.

PPG, FG%, & 3PT% are all up over last year. Assists are down a hair and turnovers are up slightly. Offensive rebounds are up significantly. FT% has dropped considerably. Make out of that what you will.

My perception is that the offense is improved. I think the offense will continue to improve as the freshmen get more comfortable with it (less thinking, more reacting) and gain the strength/experience to finish better. I think the skills of our team (particularly the passing ability of our bigs) fits well into this system.

I think we will give UNC the same problems we gave State.

"You could try something like wins"

smh...

I understand your point that, for a coach to receive your praises, he needs to pile up wins. You're not going to find a lot of dissenters to that opinion. But the discussion has been solely about how to measure the value of a team's offensive schemes, and you're completely missing the boat here. Strictly speaking, a "good" offensive scheme is one that gets you the most good shots. Circling back to that Houston Rockets thing I was talking about earlier, Daryl Morey has said his analysts chart out all the shots and give them binary "good/bad" ratings. By their estimation, NBA teams are getting "good" shots at something like a 55% or 60% clip. Thus, if Morey's own team is getting them at an above-average clip, he's pleased with the offensive schemes. Notice that the actual offensive output doesn't factor at all into this assessment; the exercise is to strip player talent out from the equation and try to measure exactly what gains a coach's offensive scheme is giving you.

That's why I said we just don't have any good statistics to measure this stuff, to which you toolishly responded, "wins." There are bad teams that run good offenses, and there are good teams that run terrible offenses. Separating out when player talent is masking a coach's deficiencies or exacerbating them is the problem, and you have given no solution.

LOL, so you responded to my one sarcastic statement and ignored everything else.

PPG, FG%, & 3PT% are all up over last year. Assists are down a hair and turnovers are up slightly. Offensive rebounds are up significantly. FT% has dropped considerably. Make out of that what you will.

Completely different team. There's no doubt we have more talent this year from anyone who follows Wake basketball, no matter their love or disdain for Bz. That has little to do with whether Bz can coach said talent.

I think the offense will continue to improve as the freshmen get more comfortable with it (less thinking, more reacting) and gain the strength/experience to finish better.

Agreed. Because they're freshmen. With a long career of failure, I see no reason to attribute these improvements to [Redacted]. We're improving because we're young and because we were so damn bad we couldn't help but improve a lot. The greatest gains always happen when you're bad. A baby goes from not walking at all to walking within days. An Olympic runner spends years to knock hundredths off their times. We've gone from one of the worst teams in ALL of college basketball to only one of the worst teams in the top 150 of college basketball. Improvements from here will be slower. Getting back to the upper echelon will take forever without a major change. The most obvious change to make is the coach.

Yeah, I wasn't going to let you change the subject when you'd shown your ass like that.

Way to take a stand...for what, I'm not sure. What subject did I change? Still no comment on the serious lack of X's and O's that I mentioned?

Hey RJ, since you interjected yourself into this discussion via rep, I assume you also believe that Bz is an excellent X's and O's coach. Please fill us in.

Never said that....poor baby......

No, you can't make fun of people for commenting/complaining about getting a neg rep. Many people can mock others for caring about something so meaningless, however, you cannot. You bitch about that nonsense more than pretty much all other posters combined.

Now why don't you go on another rep giving rampage begging other users to pos rep you in return? We all know that you bizarrely take some self-worth from your reputation on this small, insignificant message board.

Never said that....poor baby......

Ha. So, what was the issue with my post if you don't disagree with it? I ask because you've been pretty Bzzout and down on his coaching. I was surprised to your rep me in support of Texas. It couldn't be because you're just retaliating for the rep I left this morning before you had even posted could it? :umkc:

So, now that you're here, what are your thoughts on Bz's X's and O's? Is he a genius? Or a genius to rule all other geniuses?

Last edited:
Once again you show your problems with reading the English language and your obsession with me. Both are really sad.

Dozens of times I have said he was the second worst coach in D-1. With the firing of Kevin O'Neill, [Redacted] now takes the lead.

I hope you all remember the Dino comparisons later in the season when our coach is home at Carolina beach watching the tournament on TV. 3 straight years without a single tournament bid and your stupid, petty asses are making snarky jokes about Dino. You all must be so thrilled that we won our Super Bowl. You want a fucking reality check? Travis McKie, who was recruited while our team was #1 in the nation, said that our win over State was his 'One Shining Moment'. A fucking home win by 2 in January. I'll make sure to bring this discussion back up when we play State in Raleigh, so you all can compare Dino Gottfried to Bzz again.

Last edited:
Completely different team. There's no doubt we have more talent this year from anyone who follows Wake basketball, no matter their love or disdain for Bz. That has little to do with whether Bz can coach said talent.

Agreed. Because they're freshmen. With a long career of failure, I see no reason to attribute these improvements to [Redacted]. We're improving because we're young and because we were so damn bad we couldn't help but improve a lot. The greatest gains always happen when you're bad. A baby goes from not walking at all to walking within days. An Olympic runner spends years to knock hundredths off their times. We've gone from one of the worst teams in ALL of college basketball to only one of the worst teams in the top 150 of college basketball. Improvements from here will be slower. Getting back to the upper echelon will take forever without a major change. The most obvious change to make is the coach.

my point was simply that the offense is better, I made no assumptions about why or who should get the credit. Thanks though for trying to educated me on the development cycle of babies and olympic athletes. You're a little too late however since I have 3 teenagers and spent time working w/ the USA Olympic & NCAA track programs.

Every positive comment doesn't have to be a referendum on Bz.

Back