• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Finding out one of your best friends is moving away

I live in my hometown, and still have probably 10-15 close friends from HS and college years. Very fortunate.

As an army brat growing up, I hated moving

I hated it, at the time, too. But it's a huge part of my formative experience that I wouldn't change for anything. Living in so many places, being exposed to so many people and cultures - it's good for the soul.

I'm generally terrible at making non-work friends. I'm somewhat introverted but kind of wish I had a few more local friends. I have a ton of remote friends. I just need to convince them to move to lovely GREENSBORO.

I'm generally terrible at making non-work friends. I'm somewhat introverted but kind of wish I had a few more local friends. I have a ton of remote friends. I just need to convince them to move to lovely GREENSBORO.

WINSTON

It was hard leaving my family & long-time friends in the ATL when I got married & moved to Raleigh. But when I look at the new groups of friends I've developed over the past 7 years (both on my own & with Wolf1297), I feel very fortunate. I have Grassy Knoll friends, NC State tailgate friends, friends from church, our beer family at Big Boss Brewing (our "Cheers" if you will). Leaving the comfort zone I'd been in for years made me come out of my shell & I'm much richer for it. And like others have said, cellphones & social media have helped me stay in touch with my Georgia friends. Win/win!

Yeah our friend group here is dwindling and we're losing probably our 2 best this summer. But then, we're prob leaving too. Just a very transient city.

This is definitely true. I've had a lot of good friends come and go over the years - moving away for grad school or work or various other life changes. Some have come back but most have left for good. Some we've kept up with better than others. Social media and other technology certainly help.

Other friends have just moved out to the DC suburbs and they might as well be an airplane ride away for as much as we see them ;-)

Social media & cells help but not having the face to face hang out over a beer or 12 is huge.

I'm in OKC. Doing a four year tour of duty for anesthesia residency. Only 3 years and 1.5 months to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in OKC. Doing a four year tour of duty for anesthesia residency. Only 3 years and 1.5 months to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it isn't NoVa, but there is shit to do. Are you in the city or suburbs? Only 6 mos in so I suspect you'll adapt once things settle a bit.

As most of our college friends moved away, we developed more friends through church.

Other friends have just moved out to the DC suburbs and they might as well be an airplane ride away for as much as we see them ;-)

We are pretty much down to zero close friends who live in the District. They've all moved to the burbs. And our closest friends (my best friend who got married to my wife's best friend) used to live 5 blocks away, and pretty suddenly moved to ATX 3 weeks ago. Sucks.

Got very fortunate post-college that I joined a company that had a development program, consisting of around 200+ others. While our initial friend group of around 15-20 has dwindled quite a bit, we still have a solid core of around 6-8 in Richmond, and then a bunch more one level out.

That said, I'll probably be moving in the next year or so to a place where I'll only know a few people. But had I not had this group, no question I would have moved much sooner.

We are pretty much down to zero close friends who live in the District. They've all moved to the burbs. And our closest friends (my best friend who got married to my wife's best friend) used to live 5 blocks away, and pretty suddenly moved to ATX 3 weeks ago. Sucks.

That reminds me of about 10 years ago or so when three of my best friends from grad school all lived on the Red Line one stop away from each other. A few other friends lived in the District as well. Whenever I would come to DC for work or for fun, it was real easy to get everybody together and hangout. Now one got married and moved to the burbs, another moved then moved back to Connecticut Ave. then broke up with his girlfriend and got married to another woman and lives in Pittsburgh. My best friend is still on the Red Line but in Bethesda. I go up once or twice a year for work and hang out with her but it's just not the same. The last time we all got together was 5 years ago at the National Zoo for my birthday.

Well it isn't NoVa, but there is shit to do. Are you in the city or suburbs? Only 6 mos in so I suspect you'll adapt once things settle a bit.
sounds like he's more like 10.5 months in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It is the worst. So hard to make friends as you get older. A true friend is really hard to find.

It is the worst. So hard to make friends as you get older. A true friend is really hard to find.

I am 51 and making the effort tonight with a really good friend that has remarried. Here's hoping her husband is as cool as she is.

Back