• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Bz Ad in Gboro N&R, Day 4 = HEADSHOT

UPDATE:

I emailed the AP and asked how we go about getting permission to use the handshake pic for a billboard

stay tuned

I spoke with the advertising rep at N and R today. He wouldn't come out and tell me but he hinted that the City of Greensboro might have convinced the publisher to move the ad. I can only imagine how embarrassing it looks when the home town news paper runs an ad like that. He told me that controverisal ads are often moved by the publisher and swears that ads inside the sports section are more expensive than on the front page. He is going to send me their policy for moving ads and the price list for front page vs inside the section. I will post these when I get them.

I think we are very fortunate that they still decided to run the ads based on the pressure from the City of Greensboro. I also think that we were incredibly fortunate to get that first page ad done on Thursday. These guys really stuck their necks out there for us.

I spoke with the advertising rep at N and R today. He wouldn't come out and tell me but he hinted that the City of Greensboro might have convinced the publisher to move the ad. I can only imagine how embarrassing it looks when the home town news paper runs an ad like that. He told me that controverisal ads are often moved by the publisher and swears that ads inside the sports section are more expensive than on the front page. He is going to send me their policy for moving ads and the price list for front page vs inside the section. I will post these when I get them.

I think we are very fortunate that they still decided to run the ads based on the pressure from the City of Greensboro. I also think that we were incredibly fortunate to get that first page ad done on Thursday. These guys really stuck their necks out there for us.

I'm confused. Why would the City of Greensboro get involved?

Because they make a good deal of money off the ACC Tournament, and this ad was an indictment of one of the 12 schools playing in that tournament.

They didn't want something like that to sully the city's signature event.

they also didn't want to piss off the ACC over $2000 worth of ads.

Ha. New York City would never do a thing like that. #GreensboroOut!

Pricing Comparison:
Sunday Ad – B/W
6col x 2” ad on section front: $ 735.92 (this is the price you paid for the ad)
6col x 2” ad inside sports: $808.704 (this is where the ad ended up running)

I don't think the ad worked. I mighty bummed about it but it just didn't have enough gusto!

Pricing Comparison:
Sunday Ad – B/W
6col x 2” ad on section front: $ 735.92 (this is the price you paid for the ad)
6col x 2” ad inside sports: $808.704 (this is where the ad ended up running)

That pricing makes no sense, but whatever. Just glad all 4 ads ran. Well worth the $2400.

Tried to ping Andy today but no response, so no idea if he's using this information or not, at this point.

In my view the ads were a Hail Mary, but they do have some potential long term benefit.

- Any discussion of coaches in trouble will most certainly include bzz now
- pre-season next year all the Wake write ups will say bzz must win and probably mention the ads
- it the team continues to underperform they'll be talking about the ads and how things have not changed.

You know, you've got to lay a rock solid foundation ....

Tried to ping Andy today but no response, so no idea if he's using this information or not, at this point.

In my view the ads were a Hail Mary, but they do have some potential long term benefit.

- Any discussion of coaches in trouble will most certainly include bzz now
- pre-season next year all the Wake write ups will say bzz must win and probably mention the ads
- it the team continues to underperform they'll be talking about the ads and how things have not changed.

You know, you've got to lay a rock solid foundation ....

Have you passed along that we've raised $3000+ for a billboard so far? Might be interesting to see his response.

I don't think the ad worked. I mighty bummed about it but it just didn't have enough gusto!

I guess it depends on how you define worked...seems like the worked really well to me. Bz's incompetence was the story of the weekend at the ACC Tournament.

That pricing makes no sense, but whatever. Just glad all 4 ads ran. Well worth the $2400.

^^^THIS^^^

Have you passed along that we've raised $3000+ for a billboard so far? Might be interesting to see his response.

Over $3,100 by last count. The billboard would give Katz an angle no one has included in a story yet.

Last edited:
So what new "angle" does the billboard give? It's just a bigger version of the newspaper ad. I'm really not sure what the end game is for this project. If Wellman doesn't fire Bzz, or get fired himself while the billboard is up, what do we do?

Last edited:
Back