• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Bz Ad in Gboro N&R, Day 4 = HEADSHOT

This is a serious question that may in and of itself require a thread of its own, but what exactly draws people, in particular those who didn't graduate from Wake, to support the Demon Deacons? And I'm not trying to sound like some entitled student saying "you didn't go here; you can't be a part of our club." I would think it takes a lot to support a school like Wake, but I'm interested in knowing.

When I was growing up, there were three camps of townies who pulled for Wake:

1) Worked there or work was somehow closely aligned with the U through their work.

2) Parents (or at least dad) went to a small college without big time sports, and could easily be part of the Wake/ACC action.

3) People not on a track to go to college so pulled for the local team, often because they were recipients of free tix somewhere down the line.

In the 70s, the vast majority of local kids pulled for Carolina or to a lesser extent State. Duke wasn't as big a fanbase here, and some pulled for Wake to be different from the crowd and because they could make a claim about its academics.

to people looking at the revenue side of college athletics, it does mean the same thing if you're buying tickets (or not).

Yeah, that's true. I'm just saying that things are going to get contentious if/when employees start trying to call out alumni about their fanhood. IDGAF is Wellman has been here 50 years, this is still just his job. Were he to be offered 10 million to work for Elon or High Point, or Taliban U, he probably would. Alumni can't just choose to have another undergrad; We're tied to Wake forever.

Wasn't he offered a bunch of money by AZ or AZ State? I think he was offered something else as well.

Yeah, that's true. I'm just saying that things are going to get contentious if/when employees start trying to call out alumni about their fanhood. IDGAF is Wellman has been here 50 years, this is still just his job. Were he to be offered 10 million to work for Elon or High Point, or Taliban U, he probably would. Alumni can't just choose to have another undergrad; We're tied to Wake forever.

Oh, I agree. I said initially that I don't like being questioned because I do not support losing. I think he's entitled to an opinion (bzzzin/bzzzout) but don't think he should have questioned other fans (talking about dr. b.).
This is all kicking a dead horse at this point, let's move on.

dean shore is friends with just about everyone who's been through wake in the last 10 years.

Yea, pretty sure Dean Shore friended me after I got my haircut once.

He's actually not a bad "friend" if you like hundreds of Wake Forest pictures on your news feed every couple hours.

Yeah if you have ever gone to a sporting event he will take your picture and then use some unknown facial recognition software, I think he gets it from RJ's cloud, and then tags you in it.

I think we need to get back to the main point here, which is why are so many of you Facebook friends with your barber?

Never had my hair cut by him. Dean is actually a long time tailgate friend and frequently stops by the tailgate during football season. He's wrong on this, but a friend.

Dean Shore is concerned about hurting [Redacted]'s feelings with the ad. Pretty sure this is how he feels:
FBlA4.gif

No matter where he stands on the situation, Dean Shore is a great person. Period.

Yea, pretty sure Dean Shore friended me after I got my haircut once.

He's actually not a bad "friend" if you like hundreds of Wake Forest pictures on your news feed every couple hours.

Never had my hair cut by him. Dean is actually a long time tailgate friend and frequently stops by the tailgate during football season. He's wrong on this, but a friend.

Both of these.

Dean is actually a friend and frequently stops by the tailgate during football season. He's wrong on this, but a friend.

Yeah, Dean Shore is a good guy. These "whose a better fan" arguments always suck. Let's just keep it to BuzzIn vs. BuzzOut, like always.

Anybody have the CBS link. Am updating the main thread and can't find it.

Speaking if that, everyone needs to retweet the cbs sports tweet about the ad. It had tons of retweet and comments, so every bump in that one's traffic is good.

Back