• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Clawson?

Is our run game dramatically better than last year? It feels that way.

I remember last year being just terrible, but was interested in how much better we are this year.

2014 Thru 8 games:
276 yds rushing

2015 Thru 8 games:
950 yds rushing

So more than triple what we had last year at the same time.

Crazypants

The
I'll build the case against Clawson, even though I think he's doing fine enough and would give him four years (as I said earlier in this thread):

At the FBS level, Clawson has proven to be a really poor offensive coach. His one year at Tennessee is basically the worst offense any strong national program has produced in the past decade (FEI offense 96/120). At Bowling Green, they were decent at offense year 1 running spread with inherited personnel. Starting year 2 they implimented the normal Clawfense as the rebuild started. In the 4 years in Clawson's scheme BGSU ranked FEI offense 108/120, 83/120, 102/124, 44/125.

44/125 at BGSU is good, and this season and MAC title is what got Clawson hired. However, BGSU was top five in the country at 3rd and 5+ conversions in 2013. Which is a very tough thing to replicate and count on to generate good offense year after year. Matt Johnson was/is a really special QB (he has 3300 yards, 29 TDs, 3 INTs this year so far).

Now at WFU the personnel has been horrible but the offensive schemes also seem horrible. I do think strong offense coaches can scheme their way with horrible personnel to better results than we have seen in 19 games. So I don't think BDL, others that aren't too high on Clawson are out of bounds with their viewpoint. I think there are some major concerns that Clawson will be able to put top 50 offenses on the field at Wake Forest.
The scheme seems vanilla compared to Grobe's offenses. We always had misdirection , orbit sweeps and trickeration. The last 3 years the offense got worse but that might be related to the talent drop off.

I think the case for Clawson would be:

Clawson is not really a schemer, he's a program builder. He will improve your talent and improve your recruiting. At Richmond and Bowling Green it took 3-4 years before any progress was seen. Why would you hire a program builder for a coach and not give him time to do his thing?

I feel very comfortable with Clawson/Elko defenses too. The statistics are friendly and the defenses will likely be good when they are a veteran group.

We have much more experience on defense than offense. The defense was good last year. 10 drives of 1 minute or less for touchdowns and 13 TD plays longer than 40 yards after 7 games is unacceptable .

The
The scheme seems vanilla compared to Grobe's offenses. We always had misdirection , orbit sweeps and trickeration. The last 3 years the offense got worse but that might be related to the talent drop off.

You must have forgotten all the pining for the 02-07 offensive schemes that marked the late Grobe era. Instead we got trips FB Wide and the Tanner Price Option. To say we "always" had the orbit, etc under Grobe is pretty much dead ass wrong.

Back