• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Clawson?

This is a joke, give him a chance with his own players.

In year 2 as well, plus a bowl victory. We didn't give Grobe too long, he earned a lot of equity, but it was time for him to go when he did. The disappointing thing to me is he left the program in such bad shape.

No there was an obvious decline and with what he was being paid, he was here 3 years too long.

2011 we were one play from playing in the ACC title game. If we fired coaches based on when this board thought we should, nobody would ever want to work here.

I still disagree, but I respect your opinion and concede it's at least debatable.

same here. In year 4, if Clawson isn't winning, there should be some signs of major improvement. However, I'm not sure Wellman even knows how to evaluate a coach.

same here. In year 4, if Clawson isn't winning, there should be some signs of major improvement. However, I'm not sure Wellman even knows how to evaluate a coach.

I agree with that. As many young guys as we're playing, we'll be a veteran team in 2017 and we'd better be playing like it. With the schedule next year we should be at least knocking on the door of a bowl game and in 2017 be looking at a very positive year. If not it's time to evaluate whether to continue with Clawson.

Hoping in a few years Wellman will be retired and won't be making hires.

Someone who is more adept than me, what do the advanced metrics say about us this year versus last?

Someone who is more adept than me, what do the advanced metrics say about us this year versus last?

I don't know about metrics, but the offense is better. That's evident in our yardage outputs and points per game. The defense is not as good as last year in the back end and we give up big plays which is bad because our offense, while improved, is still not good and can't overcome the big plays the defense gives up. I think overall we're probably improved, but more from a personnel standpoint than a win-loss standpoint, which will probably be evidenced by finishing with the same record as last year. Hopeful we might get one more win, but Louisville and Duke are the only ones we have any chance at and they're both considerably better than us.

All of these are schedule adjusted measures of team strength. F+/ is a combination of the other two metrics. Data for today is not yet released - but our numbers will get a bit worse for 2015 after today's game is mixed in.

2014: F+/ total ranking = 101 , S&P+ = 112 , FEI = 93
2015: F+/ total ranking = 86, S&P+ = 89, FEI = 79

2014 offense only: S&P+ = 128 (last!) and FEI = 115
2015 offense only: S&P+ = 102 and FEI = 114

2014 defense only: S&P+ = 37 and FEI = 52
2015 defense only: S&P+ = 64 and FEI = 57

The F+/ total ranking is cited a fair bit and is probably the closest out there to a Kenpom rank for football. Although not as good.

Here are the final F+/ rankings each year for WF since 2010:

2010 = 93
2011 = 64
2012 = 102
2013 = 81
2014 = 101
2015 = 86 prior to NC State game

2011 we were one play from playing in the ACC title game. If we fired coaches based on when this board thought we should, nobody would ever want to work here.

in 2011, we finished 1-5. That came after finishing 1-5 and 1-10 the previous two seasons.

The 5-2 (4-1) start in 2011 was an outlier. It was clear by the end of that season. That 5-2 period came in between a 4-14 stretch and Grobe's 10-21 finish in his time at Wake.

Now CL68, I think you're saying that the records didn't support firing Grobe. That may be true. But it was clear after 2010 that Grobe wasn't going to bring Wake football back.

Hinton needs to start for the rest of this year. His skill set fits our current personnel on offense. We need to roll him out more to give him time to throw downfield . The blitzes and press coverage we will see can be challenged by making them pay with long passes and runs by Hinton if we can buy him some time.

And Duke made a significant effort, as a university, to improve its football program from the classroom to facilities. Until Wake Forest does the same, Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban won't win here either.

We aren't making a significant effort to improve facilities? :squint:

in 2011, we finished 1-5. That came after finishing 1-5 and 1-10 the previous two seasons.

The 5-2 (4-1) start in 2011 was an outlier. It was clear by the end of that season. That 5-2 period came in between a 4-14 stretch and Grobe's 10-21 finish in his time at Wake.

Now CL68, I think you're saying that the records didn't support firing Grobe. That may be true. But it was clear after 2010 that Grobe wasn't going to bring Wake football back.

In retrospect. Most people in 2012 going into the season expected us to make a bowl game. We had gone bowling with a sophomore QB in 2011. When we went 5-7 in 2012, then the pressure was really on Grobe and he was let go the next year after we didn't make a bowl.

Retrospect? Just because most people didn't see the handwriting on the wall doesn't mean they shouldn't have.

In retrospect. Most people in 2012 going into the season expected us to make a bowl game. We had gone bowling with a sophomore QB in 2011. When we went 5-7 in 2012, then the pressure was really on Grobe and he was let go the next year after we didn't make a bowl.

I think I mentally blocked out the end of the 2012 season. The last four losses were by 30-40 points per game. That was horrible.

Retrospect? Just because most people didn't see the handwriting on the wall doesn't mean they shouldn't have.

Funny, I don't recall even you saying that Grobe should be fired after 2011. Bitching about our poor finish maybe.

Anyway there was no way we were going to fire a coach after going 5-3 in the ACC.

I think I mentally blocked out the end of the 2012 season. The last four losses were by 30-40 points per game. That was horrible.

And he was on a very hot seat after 2012.

Back