• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Clawson?

this team is garbage but Clawson doesn't seem to be helping anything. awful coaching the last two weeks

It's the truth, you may not want to hear it, but it's the truth. A Wake team having to play this many young players is going to struggle.

The guy who had his ass handed to him on multiple key plays is a 5th year senior from Wisconsin.

I'm fine with maybe one or two more years to evaluate Clawson's program. That's fair and he should be given 4-5 years to develop a team.

But, simply not showing up for the first 20 minutes of today's game is fucking inexcusable.

this team is garbage but Clawson doesn't seem to be helping anything. awful coaching the last two weeks

The second half was bad coaching? They scored one touchdown? We came out of the gate awful, but good second half adjustments.

The guy who had his ass handed to him on multiple key plays is a 5th year senior from Wisconsin.

I'm fine with maybe one or two more years to evaluate Clawson's program. That's fair and he should be given 4-5 years to develop a team.

But, simply not showing up for the first 20 minutes of today's game is fucking inexcusable.

See my Wolford and Gaulden post. Point remains, a Wake team that is depending heavily on freshman and sophomores isn't going to be a good Wake team. We don't get that many guys that are really ready to play at this level that young.

I think 4 years is fair. Remember at Bowling Green, Clawson had a solid/veteran team with lots of seniors his first year. And then he blew it up and became awful year 2, leading all the way to MAC title in year 5 (year 4 of rebuild).

I don't he'll have a problem getting a 4th year because the schedule next year is really friendly. Tulane/Army/Deleware all at home is as soft as you could possibly ask for.

It all comes down to recruiting. All the great coaching in the world won't help enough unless and until we can recruit well and consistently. Wake could do it (I'm watching Duke VT right now and Duke seems to be a real football team), but I don't know if Wake will do it. We may elect to continue to bleat on about academic standards and other canards, while schools higher than us in the academic rankings do what it takes to be good.

Some of this is on Clawson, but a lot of it is on Wake Forest. It takes a commitment to be good, and it costs money. There is a return on that investment, but if we've got a record number of parents lining up to toss $60K a year at us, the people that matter may not perceive the need to actually make the commitment.

Very well said. I have little doubt that many powers that be are content with Wake being a half-assed elite university as long as the money keeps pouring in.

Wolford is the better QB but his style doesn't have a chance with thi OL.

I think 4 years is fair. Remember at Bowling Green, Clawson had a solid/veteran team with lots of seniors his first year. And then he blew it up and became awful year 2, leading all the way to MAC title in year 5 (year 4 of rebuild).

I don't he'll have a problem getting a 4th year because the schedule next year is really friendly. Tulane/Army/Deleware all at home is as soft as you could possibly ask for.

Who do we play OOC on the road next year, Indiana?

Very well said. I have little doubt that many powers that be are content with Wake being a half-assed elite university as long as the money keeps pouring in.

We need Wellman to go, get an AD on that sees their job as fielding teams that are as good as possible. Wellman just wants to make sure we collect sportsmanship awards.

Yeah. Next year we also have Syracuse, BC, and Virginia at home in conference.

Just a really really soft schedule next season

Yeah, next season is the season Clawson needs to start being judged much harder. No reason not to have a real shot to go bowling next year with that schedule. Let's hope we don't get screwed on how the bye weeks play out next year too.

Yet another greasy, malodorous, peanut and corn kernel laced turd extruded through the prolapsed spinchter of wellman's decision making.

Wolford is the better QB but his style doesn't have a chance with thi OL.

For the spread offense we're TRYING to run, I think Hinton has the better skill set. However, no doubt if Wolford played behind a good O-line, he's accurate enough to pick teams apart.

It all comes down to recruiting. All the great coaching in the world won't help enough unless and until we can recruit well and consistently. Wake could do it (I'm watching Duke VT right now and Duke seems to be a real football team), but I don't know if Wake will do it. We may elect to continue to bleat on about academic standards and other canards, while schools higher than us in the academic rankings do what it takes to be good.

Some of this is on Clawson, but a lot of it is on Wake Forest. It takes a commitment to be good, and it costs money. There is a return on that investment, but if we've got a record number of parents lining up to toss $60K a year at us, the people that matter may not perceive the need to actually make the commitment.

I agree with this post and it's the reason I am a big fan of Clawson. He gets it and puts a lot of emphasis on recruiting. Wake currently has the #9 recruiting class in the ACC on Rivals, which is the highest ranking Wake has had since they started reporting it back in 2002.

Clawson is a high energy competitor. Give him time to put his team together and see what happens. That said, our play calling is mysteriously poor. Granted that our Oline limits our options, but the play calling is just bad.

Back