• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

fire

I look forward to Sparty pounding their asses in a few weeks.

If they were 5-0, no one would've been marching and carrying signs.

If they were 5-0, no one would've been marching and carrying signs.

Agreed. And yeah, it'll be funny to watch Sparty put a hurtin' on them.

That said, it's refreshing to see a student fan base care enough about the sorry state of its flagship program to have a campus rally rather than drink the guyana grape koolade fed to them by their AD.

That said, it's refreshing to see a student fan base care enough about the sorry state of its flagship program to have a campus rally rather than drink the guyana grape koolade fed to them by their AD.

Waiting on the pro-Bzdel!k crowd to opine about how disloyal Michigan fans/students are. I am curious how much Big Blue will start pushing for Jim Harbaugh now. Despite the Niner rumors, I can't see him leaving (or getting fired) in San Fran for Michigan but you never know. I really do not like alumni going back to coach at their alma maters but once in a while, it can work out.

Agreed. And yeah, it'll be funny to watch Sparty put a hurtin' on them.

To be fair..most of our students weren't drinking Ronny's koolaid (see attendance).

Great quote from one of the links:

This fall Michigan is in danger of breaking its string of 251-consecutive games with 100,000-plus paid attendance, which started in 1975. Treat your fans like customers long enough, and eventually they’ll start behaving that way, reducing their irrational love for their team to a cool-headed, dollars-and-cents decision to buy tickets or not, with no more emotional investment than deciding whether to go to the movies.
After a friend of mine took his kids to a game, he told me, “Michigan athletics used to feel like something we shared. Now it’s something they hoard. Anything of value they put a price tag on. Anything that appeals to anyone is kept locked away—literally, in some cases—and only brought out if you pay for it. And what’s been permanently banished is any sense of generosity.”

Applies pretty well to WFU as well, other than the 100,000 attendance thing...

Waiting on the pro-Bzdel!k crowd to opine about how disloyal Michigan fans/students are. I am curious how much Big Blue will start pushing for Jim Harbaugh now. Despite the Niner rumors, I can't see him leaving (or getting fired) in San Fran for Michigan but you never know. I really do not like alumni going back to coach at their alma maters but once in a while, it can work out.

I dunno about Harbs part deux. The guy is a bridge burner and has difficulties playing with others in the sandbox. Long term, I think that works better at the college level. See Nicktator Saban. Despite his players coming out on his behalf yesterday, where there's smoke, there's fire. I think he and the Niners FO really don't get along, which is why they haven't extended him. I think it's better than 50/50 that the Niners and Harbs part ways after the season. Then he can go play God at Michigan. And I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw ends up being his replacement in San Fran.

To be fair..most of our students weren't drinking Ronny's koolaid (see attendance).

Okay, to be fair. But it seemed like there were plenty of Ty Kraniak types as well, and most of the blue hairs and board of trustees were drinking that koolade.

Great quote from one of the links:

Applies pretty well to WFU as well, other than the 100,000 attendance thing...

I agree, but in Wake's case I forgive it because we're a private school that is hurting for money all the time. Michigan and other super-sized public schools don't have the same excuse.

The only reason this story is getting any traction is because Hoke has been a disaster. The media loves to destroy people. I've seen hits on QBs like that hundreds of times over the years. Nothing about it screamed concussion, at least in real time. He has a hurt ankle and he is stumbling on that same hurt ankle. It is not illogical, nor is it particularly negligent, to think he isn't concussed. In the end, all he did was hand the ball off anyway because they knew he was gimpy from his ankle.

We should be more diligent about concussions and are much more so than we were just 5-10 years ago. The media expectation that we should be 100% successful in diagnosing them is unrealistic and, in this case, obnoxious.

I look forward to Sparty pounding their asses in a few weeks.

I look forward to Rutgers pounding that ass on Saturday! Hoke and Brandon may not make it until Sunday morning. I hope they're using the Southern Cal manual for terminating coaches.

You guys are a off the mark in terms of Michigan-Wake comparisons in terms of the AD. Having been a student at both schools, there are pretty significant differences. Of course, the lack of Michigan winning right now is a primary cause for the discontentment. But equally, the Michigan AD has tried to ring every dollar out of the Michigan sports experience, casting aside the long-standing Michigan traditions.

"But when Michigan students were asked in a recent survey to rank seven factors for buying season tickets, they ranked cell phones seventh — dead last.
What did they rank first? Being able to sit with their friends.
But Brandon did away with that last year, with his new General Admission seating policy. Instead of seating the students by class — with the freshmen in the endzone and the seniors toward the fifty, as they had done for decades – last year it was first come, first served. (They also raised the price to $295 for seven games, up from $195 for six games the year before.) The idea was to encourage students to come early, and come often. Thousands of students responded by not coming at all."

There are a slew of examples of Dave Brandon (a former CEO of three different companies) ignoring tradition and corporatizing the Michigan experience. While Wellman's Bzz hire didn't work out, and he could be accused of giving Grobe too long of a leash, the situations aren't that similar.

Love Michigan and love Harbaugh and would be thrilled to see him go there. Seems too good to happen. I can think of few things in life I would enjoy more than seeing a Harbaugh-led Michigan team beat the everlasting crap out of Ohio State on a yearly basis.

The quote about generosity is gold and applies perfectly to Wake. And while Lobo's point is valid I would agree more with that sentiment if our AD salaries weren't so out of line with results.

I didn't realize there was anybody that liked Jim Harbaugh. Learn something new everyday I guess. His players hate him and they went to a Super Bowl two years ago.

Love Michigan and love Harbaugh and would be thrilled to see him go there. Seems too good to happen. I can think of few things in life I would enjoy more than seeing a Harbaugh-led Michigan team beat the everlasting crap out of Ohio State on a yearly basis.

Harbuagh isn't going to beat the crap out of Ohio State every year. John Cooper is long gone from Columbus, there is too much talent in Ohio for the Buckeyes to dropp off and Urban is too good to be dominated. It will be nice to see The Game become competitive again. As a Buckeye fan, I feel sorry for Michigan right now. A program of that pedigree should never be allowed to decline to the point where it is a national embarassment. Bring on Harbuagh. The Big Ten needs Michigan to get back to being Michigan.

Harbuagh isn't going to beat the crap out of Ohio State every year. John Cooper is long gone from Columbus, there is too much talent in Ohio for the Buckeyes to dropp off and Urban is too good to be dominated. It will be nice to see The Game become competitive again. As a Buckeye fan, I feel sorry for Michigan right now. A program of that pedigree should never be allowed to decline to the point where it is a national embarassment. Bring on Harbuagh. The Big Ten needs Michigan to get back to being Michigan.

I'm not shedding any tears.

The concussion stuff is just an excuse to get rid of an AD and a coach the fans don't like. At WFU, are excuse was real--years of unprecedented losing at BBall. We got rid of 1/2 the problem, but the other still remains. Some might say we got rid of 1/3rd the problem, but the other 2/3rds still remains.

You guys are a off the mark in terms of Michigan-Wake comparisons in terms of the AD. Having been a student at both schools, there are pretty significant differences. Of course, the lack of Michigan winning right now is a primary cause for the discontentment. But equally, the Michigan AD has tried to ring every dollar out of the Michigan sports experience, casting aside the long-standing Michigan traditions.

There are a slew of examples of Dave Brandon (a former CEO of three different companies) ignoring tradition and corporatizing the Michigan experience. While Wellman's Bzz hire didn't work out, and he could be accused of giving Grobe too long of a leash, the situations aren't that similar.

Michigan and Wake are about as different as two Power 5 schools can be, but they are united by the overwhelming drive for the almighty dollar, the corporatization of the gameday experience, and the treatment of fans as nothing more than consumers. They are getting the exact same response from their fans, which is that fans are losing their emotional investment in the team and voting solely with their wallets. Which means you have to put an entertaining and winning product on the field, because the fans are not emotionally invested enough to show up and overpay to watch a boring, losing team.

Back