• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

fire

Michigan and Wake are about as different as two Power 5 schools can be, but they are united by the overwhelming drive for the almighty dollar, the corporatization of the gameday experience, and the treatment of fans as nothing more than consumers. They are getting the exact same response from their fans, which is that fans are losing their emotional investment in the team and voting solely with their wallets. Which means you have to put an entertaining and winning product on the field, because the fans are not emotionally invested enough to show up and overpay to watch a boring, losing team.

Michigan's football revenue, including football tv payments from the Big 10-14, was over 80 million last year. Wake's was just north of 20 million. Since we don't have any traditions to lose I vote for Wellman, or his replacement, to keep going after the dollar.

Michigan and Wake are about as different as two Power 5 schools can be, but they are united by the overwhelming drive for the almighty dollar, the corporatization of the gameday experience, and the treatment of fans as nothing more than consumers. They are getting the exact same response from their fans, which is that fans are losing their emotional investment in the team and voting solely with their wallets. Which means you have to put an entertaining and winning product on the field, because the fans are not emotionally invested enough to show up and overpay to watch a boring, losing team.

With all due respect, other than the Casstevens catering deal, you're way off the mark. The only other thing they have in common is poor play on the field as of late.

frankly, i thought it was a fairly noncontroversial observation, since many posters have observed over the past 4+ years how little respect for WFU tradition or pride or fan interest the AD has shown, and how we have been treated as customers first and alums and passionate fans last. Nonetheless, since their seem to be strong feelings, I bow to the superior wisdom of those with Mich in their usernames.

frankly, i thought it was a fairly noncontroversial observation, since many posters have observed over the past 4+ years how little respect for WFU tradition or pride or fan interest the AD has shown, and how we have been treated as customers first and alums and passionate fans last. Nonetheless, since their seem to be strong feelings, I bow to the superior wisdom of those with Mich in their usernames.

Ronny has been consistently arrogant and dismissive of fans. That certainly seems to be at least some of Brandon's undoing...

Bump.

Meanwhile, Rich Rod gets it done against Oregon. Again.

Wow! Substitute [name redacted] and Wellman for Hoke and incompetent AD, and it's a lot like reading our boards for the last four years. "deer in headlights", "clueless", "in over his head", "standing on the sideline clapping".

Wow! Substitute [name redacted] and Wellman for Hoke and incompetent AD, and it's a lot like reading our boards for the last four years. "deer in headlights", "clueless", "in over his head", "standing on the sideline clapping".

Minus the media's insistence that the fans shut up and accept that they're destined to suck.

I got an email about Michigan football season tickets being available next season. Their high prices have driven so many away that even very minimal donors now can get season tickets??? Guess so. Pathetic work by the greedy AD. So many schools are going for the money grab now, partnering with StubHub and/or switching to dynamic ticket pricing to try and capture more sales revenue... but that model drives away donors and makes it so much less valuable to donate for seat rights / season tickets.... so over the long term angry fans and a reduced donor base MIGHT cause those increased revenues to be moot.... and you've given up control over your secondary ticketing so now fans go directly to StubHub vs buy from the university. Next time Michigan makes a bowl game I guarantee they sell like 1/10th of their allotment.

Last edited:
I got an email about Michigan football season tickets being available next season. Their high prices have driven so many away that even very minimal donors now can get season tickets??? Guess so. Pathetic work by the greedy AD. So many schools are going for the money grab now, partnering with StubHub and/or switching to dynamic ticket pricing to try and capture more sales revenue... but that model drives away donors and makes it so much less valuable to donate for seat rights / season tickets.... so over the long term angry fans and a reduced donor base MIGHT cause those increased revenues to be moot.... and you've given up control over your secondary ticketing so now fans go directly to StubHub vs buy from the university. Next time Michigan makes a bowl game I guarantee they sell like 1/10th of their allotment.

None if this is an issue at all if the programs are successful.

Bump. 28-3 Sparty on a phenomenal Cook to Lippett TD.

Stephen Ross spoke with the UM president about the fate of athletic director Dave Brandon and then said "...he won’t interfere or oppose a decision to fire Brandon."

Stephen Ross: I Won’t Interfere on Michigan Athletic-Director Decision
Donor, School President Discuss Dave Brandon
By Sharon Terlep
Oct. 27, 2014 7:08 p.m. ET
wsj.com

Michigan’s largest donor, Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, spoke last week with the university’s president about the fate of athletic director Dave Brandon, Ross said Monday...

Last month, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Ross said that Brandon is “as qualified to be an athletic director as anyone could be” and should remain at the university.

On Monday, Ross said that he still thinks Brandon can do the job. But he also has promised school president Mark Schlissel that he won’t interfere or oppose a decision to fire Brandon.

...Brandon has taken heavy criticism from students and the media over decisions ranging from price increases to marketing moves that fell flat, such as a fireworks proposal that the school’s board of regents shot down. Last week, he announced a nearly 40% reduction in student ticket prices next season, to $175 for the seven-game home schedule from $280.

Also, here's an interesting take on events at Michigan and the UM-MSU game.

Michigan learning what others in Big Ten already have: Pride cometh before a nasty fall

...What coaches genuinely feel and say behind the scenes and what they offer for the cameras have become so totally separate lately that we almost expect it. But I think it's fair to say that a lot of people around the league are immensely enjoying seeing Michigan, for so long a place so totally enveloped in a cocoon of smug self-adulation, come completely off the rails...

Sounds like UNC.

That particular email is almost a year old. Time/ Date stamp is 5:03 PM, 16 Nov 2013.

Well before most of the current mess started. But telling, none the less.

wow...and they got it to happen without a billboard

They did it through a slow bleed. They used the media to spaz out about Shane Morris, and now they add this shit a year later. Honestly, if UM was winning, none of this would be a factor and I don't think it is in the end. I think he sees the writing on the wall after the Michigan State destruction. Hoke will follow him out the door.

Never underestimate the value of a good media campaign. Wellman is the only guy who seemed impervious to one until donations started to dry up and businesses started to go tits up around the Joel. Oklahoma just got rid of their band director (yes, band director) after taking out full page ads in the major state papers.

The first thing the new AD should do is contact Dan Mullen about a job.

Back