• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"First of all, I'm never going to throw my players under the bus."

It's not a problem when Bz says "we played soft" or "we did a lousy job rebounding the ball."

But when he says "I don't know [what went wrong], you'll have to ask them," it is a problem, and it is throwing players under the bus. He turning it into an us (coaches) versus them (players) thing. The first example doesn't do this.

As an Eagles fan, Bz on a regular basis gives me a greater appreciation for Andy Reid and his monotonous "I've got to better job of putting guys in a position to win." Instead of blaming the players, Bz should be re-evaluating what he can do as a coach to get his players to play better instead of saying "we taught it" and washing his hands. After all, that's his job.

As the child of a coach and having a family full of coaches and student athletes, none of the quotes mentioned are throwing the players under the bus.

They are quotes that completely match up to the puss performance I witnessed on Saturday vs State.

You want players to man up and play big? They better be able to take and learn from criticism, even if their wittle feelings get hurt.

Enough of this mamby-pamby- feel-good -I don't want to hurt your feelings so I pussyfoot around the truth even though you need an attitude adjustment bullcrap. That bs I watched on Saturday was deserving of every negative quote Bz could think of.

You can't blame that game entirely on the coaching. When you are a team that lacks talent, you have to work your ass off for 40 minutes to even sniff at a win.

As the child of a coach and having a family full of coaches and student athletes, none of the quotes mentioned are throwing the players under the bus.

They are quotes that completely match up to the puss performance I witnessed on Saturday vs State.

You want players to man up and play big? They better be able to take and learn from criticism, even if their wittle feelings get hurt.

Enough of this mamby-pamby- feel-good -I don't want to hurt your feelings so I pussyfoot around the truth even though you need an attitude adjustment bullcrap. That bs I watched on Saturday was deserving of every negative quote Bz could think of.

You can't blame that game entirely on the coaching. When you are a team that lacks talent, you have to work your ass off for 40 minutes to even sniff at a win.

Really? Because to hear Bz tell it, he bears no responsibility whatsoever. Do you really think that's the case? Is there nothing he can do better?

Really? Because to hear Bz tell it, he bears no responsibility whatsoever. Do you really think that's the case? Is there nothing he can do better?

Reread...I said you can't blame Saturday entirely on coaching. There was no effort from the team. None.

Reread...I said you can't blame Saturday entirely on coaching. There was no effort from the team. None.

And I agree with this. But you also said Bz's comments - where he seemed to be absolving himself of any blame - were right on.

I completely agree that the players deserve a large share of the blame. But that doesn't excuse Bz's comments. If he gets up there and says "we were out-worked, out-hustled and out-coached in pretty much facet of the game" - which would have been 100% accurate - like most coaches would in a situation like this, then I have no issue with it.

And I agree with this. But you also said Bz's comments - where he seemed to be absolving himself of any blame - were right on.

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. He's saying bzz isn't throwing the players under the bus anymore than the coaches he's been around his whole life, and that it's not a problem. Lots of coaches do it. He also said that while Bzz and the staff needs some blame for the performance, that it is absolutely shared with the players as they had no energy or desire. Least that's how I read it.

I completely agree that the players deserve a large share of the blame. But that doesn't excuse Bz's comments. If he gets up there and says "we were out-worked, out-hustled and out-coached in pretty much facet of the game" - which would have been 100% accurate - like most coaches would in a situation like this, then I have no issue with it.

I don't think his comments were right on, in fact, I think his comments could be reworded to make him sound a little less self-righteous and arrogant. He says what many other coaches say everyday/after every loss or pitiful performance- but his delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

I just don't think he throws players under the bus.

All of this Bz bashing/Bz defending is tiring. I just hope he rights the ship or Wellman lets him go/he resigns so we can all get back to critiquing a good team and getting pissed over losing to mediocre teams in the tourney and bashing dook and the chapel hill cheaters.

Compare those to Skip Prosser quotes and it's easy to see why we had that guy's back when he was last and we this guy will not have us in his corner even if he does get it turned around.

Compare those to Skip Prosser quotes and it's easy to see why we had that guy's back when he was last and we this guy will not have us in his corner even if he does get it turned around.

I think that's true, but I'd argue that our fans got spoiled with Skip. There are few coaches in the nation that could deliver quick-witted charmers so easily.

[Redacted]'s quotes, meanwhile, look pretty run-of-the-mill. I certainly don't think less of him for any of those quotes; I just think he's prone to getting frustrated like hundreds of other coaches around the country.

Ha. This board was completely ready to fire Skip if we had another down year.

There was a large contingent that wanted to fire him regardless of how his next year had gone. It's lost in the tragedy of Skip's death - and it's probably a good thing - but the vast majority of vocal negative posters then who are vocal negative posters now were certainly NOT in Skip's corner.

We should DEFINITELY obsess over whether [Redacted] is being too mean to our poor players as long as we assume they are all giant vaginas whose fragile pathetic egos are crushed by a coach not putting enough sugar coating on the fact that they didn't try nearly hard enough.

Note that not one of these incessant complaints suggests [Redacted] is wrong.

I am a big fan of GDO, but his comments often left a lot to be desired, especially post-game comments.

He always seemed to be quick to point out the negatives of every game and what we could have done better and he lacked emotion and enthusiasm after big wins. He called out players and the team all the time and questioned their intensity and desire.

Didn't fault the guy for it, it was just his style.

Bz is a nice guy (IMO, obviously, but I will admit, he's no Skip Prosser) but his personality quirks are magnified X infinity because no one likes him.

I am a big fan of GDO, but his comments often left a lot to be desired, especially post-game comments.

He always seemed to be quick to point out the negatives of every game and what we could have done better and he lacked emotion and enthusiasm after big wins. He called out players and the team all the time and questioned their intensity and desire.

Bz is a nice guy (IMO, obviously, but I will admit, he's no Skip Prosser) but his personality quirks are magnified X infinity because no one likes him.

And why did GDO end up getting run out? Because his players quit on him down the stretch.

Ha. This board was completely ready to fire Skip if we had another down year.

There was a large contingent that wanted to fire him regardless of how his next year had gone. It's lost in the tragedy of Skip's death - and it's probably a good thing - but the vast majority of vocal negative posters then who are vocal negative posters now were certainly NOT in Skip's corner.

We should DEFINITELY obsess over whether [Redacted] is being too mean to our poor players as long as we assume they are all giant vaginas whose fragile pathetic egos are crushed by a coach not putting enough sugar coating on the fact that they didn't try nearly hard enough.

Note that not one of these incessant complaints suggests [Redacted] is wrong.

As one of the most vocal BuzzOUT! people, I will firmly state that I was never wanting Skip to be fired. That man instilled confidence in me that he could turn it around. Mr. [Redacted]? Yeah, no confidence in his abilities what-so-ever.

The main Odom post game talking point that I will never forget was in the car after we (my parents and I, as I was still in HS) were listening after a bad loss to... I want to say Virginia, anyway, Odom says this, and I quote him, "I looked up at the scoreboard then and realized that we were losing."

Both my parents and I lost our collective proverbial shit. We still joke about that quote to this day.

I don't think his comments were right on, in fact, I think his comments could be reworded to make him sound a little less self-righteous and arrogant. He says what many other coaches say everyday/after every loss or pitiful performance- but his delivery leaves a lot to be desired.
But dude...delivery and style and choice of specific words means something. That is part of communication. If we are reacting to his style and choice of words as arrogant and petty, which clearly you are too, then so are the players. Do you expect college kids to overcome his style and be inspired???

Would you be inspired if you worked for a boss like that? I can't imagine doing that to my guys in the lab.

As one of the most vocal BuzzOUT! people, I will firmly state that I was never wanting Skip to be fired. That man instilled confidence in me that he could turn it around. Mr. [Redacted]? Yeah, no confidence in his abilities what-so-ever.

Agreed- to this day I recall the once confident feeling of "everything is going to be alright" by having Skip on our sideline. With Bzz, not so much.

Back