• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"First of all, I'm never going to throw my players under the bus."

I guess it all depends on the definition of "throwing players under the bus", whatever that means. Is telling the truth throwing them under the bus? I don't really know....or really care. WF basketball is certainly in the crapper, to be sure....but the reasons for that started long before Jeff [Redacted] set foot on the campus.

But he has done nothing of any real significance to help the situation.

“Buffalo had more energy than we did and they had a will and a want-to. I can’t dive on the floor, or take a charge for them, I would if I could. But I can’t do those things and we drill and show them those things.”

REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE!

2COAP06.jpg

What a BAWSE.

The above quotes are not throwing any player under the bus, fwiw. Unless you guys don't understand what that means. The most inappropriate one is the one where he says he doesn't trust the bench. And the Presby one.

Is Beetlejuice a good interview a la Skip? No. is this another worthless thread? Yes.

Exactly. I was just getting ready to ask the OP which one(s) of those statements he quoted that he thought was not true.
All of the statements are probably true but at the same time he sort of washes his hands of responsibility a lot of the time as if saying "I'm doing my job, they aren't". That's the problem. If they aren't getting it, he's NOT doing his job.

It looks like a major problem is lack of player effort and lack of taking responsibility. He has to find a way to get that out of them. Publically bashing them isn't going to help. These are <5* kids, not NBA stars. Moreover, getting buy-in is one of the most important aspects of being a leader and if it's not there....the blame lies on him. He should be taking the heat and saying I need to coach better.

I've heard comments from other fans just like ChrisL68 has so I don't think it's us being overly critical...and as these quotes show it's his standard MO.

Last edited:
is this another worthless thread? Yes.

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. Seems like a great thread to collect the mindless post-game quotes of our team's non-leader.

He uses "we" twelve times in those quotes. How is he supposed to talk about what happened on the floor, in the game, with any negativity at all if saying "we" doesn't cut it? "We were soft" is throwing the players under the bus?

This must be that new "nobody is ever wrong, nobody has any responsibility, everyone gets a trophy" thing. Sometimes coaches screw up. Sometimes they don't prepare their players well. Sometimes players don't put in the effort they did just a few short days before. You could pull plenty of quotes where [Redacted] assumes responsibility, takes blame, says the buck stops with him.

Truth is our players are short on talent. If we're going to compete they have to play hard every play, every minute, run the offense like they did against Yale and VaTech, stay focused and make good decisions. If he's hurting their feelings by calling a spade a spade after the pathetic effort in the NC State game they're in the wrong business.

not sure what you guys are complaining about...

wait for it...
wait for it...

those quotes aren't great... but they're not bad.

Coach who earned his comp car this week

Fordham’s Tom Pecora (36). Not for what his Rams have done on the court – they’re 7-9 and have lost three in a row. But he had a great quote on the A-10 teleconference Monday about dealing with players taking bad shots. He described the following conversation after pulling a player who hoisted a low-percentage shot.

“Coach, I’m open.”

“Yeah, they scout. There’s a reason they leave you open from 18 feet. They know you can’t make it.”

Speaking the painful truth is not throwing anyone under the bus.

<feigned Bzzin outrage>How dare you say negative things about Wake Forest basketball!!!??!?!?!111111111111111</feigned Bzzin outrage>

This is a non issue if for no other reason that, until Buzz, we hadn't heard non-couched criticism since 2000. Skip said the same things that Buzz has but instead of "we were soft" we heard "we sure weren't the Russians at Stalingrad." Same meaning with different words.

Exactly. I was just getting ready to ask the OP which one(s) of those statements he quoted that he thought was not true.

Yeah... these are all pretty standard. Saying a particular player stunk would be more throwing players under the bus.. vs generic quotes that any coach would have used after a bad game.

This is a non issue if for no other reason that, until Buzz, we hadn't heard non-couched criticism since 2000. Skip said the same things that Buzz has but instead of "we were soft" we heard "we sure weren't the Russians at Stalingrad." Same meaning with different words.

People like wits. People don't like bores. Fact of life.

People like wits. People don't like bores. Fact of life.

Completely agree. The point is, it's not necessarily throwing them under the bus... though I think this mess is the fault of everyone involved with the basketball program and they all need to be thrown under the bus

i don't think the quotes themselves are all that bad when looked at individually. when i look that the whole of these quotes and his other interviews etc it really looks like bzz is deflecting blame from himself. if that is happening he is throwing the kids under the buss in order to save himself. that is just a terrible thing to do. i could be wrong in my interpretation and he may not be doing it. if that is the case he needs to work on his "coach speak" and improve how he interacts with the fans and media.

Buzz out - Keep blaming the kids and they will stop playing for him.

It is a fine line between calling out a player to motivate him and having them quit on you. Heck, Buzzy even called out the fans last year, by saying the only people who had a problem with him, were people who were unsuccessful, because successful people know it takes time to build something.

It is a fine line between calling out a player to motivate him and having them quit on you. Heck, Buzzy even called out the fans last year, by saying the only people who had a problem with him, were people who were unsuccessful, because successful people know it takes time to build something.

Damn, I had forgotten about that quote. He was channeling his inner-lectro.

Back