• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First They Came For...

Wait Wrangor, you want us to provide you with evidence of how this amendment which the sponsors have admitted was to ensure gay marriage couldn't occur here might cause any other ill side-effects and impact other people? Isn't any impact which strips people of benefits in even one case, one case too many?

Maybe I haven't been clear up to this point on my beliefs: everyone should be afforded equal protection by the law.

Thanks...still a lot of 'COULD' in there...how much of the COULD will turn into reality?

That's the point. NOBODY KNOWS. THAT makes it bad legislation. Even if one person loses domestic violence protection, is that worth it to ban gay marriage?

Thanks...still a lot of 'COULD' in there...how much of the COULD will turn into reality?

There is enough of a concern that nearly every single family law professor at nearly all the the colleges and universities have taken time out of their schedule of class/meetings/engagements/other expectations to write 10-40 page briefs on why the voters of North Carolina should have voted down the amendment.

Domestic violence protections should be dead in the water. I don't see private contracts being invalidated, but under the language of the amendment, that would be a pretty natural result. It just doesn't pass the smell test. But if you want strict construction, private contracts could be in jeopardy.

I don't know enough about child custody to opine, but it would seem that if there were an agreement b/w two divorced or non-married couples, it would absolutely be subject to a constitutional challenge. And the rest, honestly, will all be subject to challenge and under the plain language, we be fucked.

Good work citizens of NC. Morans.

I'm just curious as to what the state GAINED by passing the amendment, since I can't see any value that was added with the passing of this legislation.

I'm just curious as to what the state GAINED by passing the amendment, since I can't see any value that was added with the passing of this legislation.

Depending on your perspective, it'll be easier to use your pimp hand if you aren't married.

because of all those ACTIVIST JUDGES!!! :willynilly:

I just imagine Wrangor, sitting in his computer chair in his underwear with his Bible on the desk next to him, grinning like a fool because this shit passed and they managed to stick it to those homosexuals!

Don't even give me, but DF2010, he voted against. Bullshit, that is just what he told you. If this thread tells you anything, its that he is a grade A bigot. SMFH.

I would be thoroughly disappointed if there were an amendment put forth before the people of the state of North Carolina that read: "If passed this amendment would legalize gay marriage in the state of North Carolina," and it was voted down. I would, however, completely understand that the majority of voters were against same-sex marriage and the amendment clearly stated the issue at hand.

What we had yesterday was not the above. What we had yesterday was an amendment written that was intentionally and purposefully vague (one where a neutral polling study showed that up to 40% of the voting populace did not understand the question). Now this purposefully vague amendment is going into the North Carolina constitution and honestly it did not poll what the North Carolina wanted at all.

Last edited:

This is one of the reasons I would not have voted for it, outside of my desire to see government get out of marriage in general. DeacFan seems to be pretty upset to discuss the issue with anyone that doesn't agree with him. We have already run the race discussion gay marriage in general. I am trying to glean some useful information on the ramifications of the amendment and I appreciate those of you that are obliging.

For example, NC is one of the last southern states to impliment this into the Constitution. What atrocities are happening because of this being included in other state's Constitutions? I am reading the 'Get Informed' page now. Will post back after I am done (my internet is slow, I need a refill on my champagne as I celebrate, and my tidy whities are a little bunchy).

Come on, Wrangor is not the enemy so please stop attacking him! The enemy is ignorance and hatefulness. He has been civil, articulate and positive. Please do not stoop to the level of those who are uninformed. If anything at this time, strengthen your resolve to make a positive impact.

Come on, Wrangor is not the enemy so please stop attacking him! The enemy is ignorance and hatefulness. He has been civil, articulate and positive. Please do not stoop to the level of those who are uninformed. If anything at this time, strengthen your resolve to make a positive impact.

That's what you think.

God knows I understand the roller coaster of emotions right now but maintaining oneself during this time is paramount to improvements

This is one of the reasons I would not have voted for it, outside of my desire to see government get out of marriage in general. DeacFan seems to be pretty upset to discuss the issue with anyone that doesn't agree with him. We have already run the race discussion gay marriage in general. I am trying to glean some useful information on the ramifications of the amendment and I appreciate those of you that are obliging.

For example, NC is one of the last southern states to impliment this into the Constitution. What atrocities are happening because of this being included in other state's Constitutions? I am reading the 'Get Informed' page now. Will post back after I am done (my internet is slow, I need a refill on my champagne as I celebrate, and my tidy whities are a little bunchy).

Ohio had some problems for several years with domestic violence protections. Also, keep in mind, that NC's amendment is broader than many (all?) the other states.

I would be thoroughly disappointed if there were an amendment put forth before the people of the state of North Carolina that read: "If passed this amendment would legalize gay marriage in the state of America" and it was voted down. I would, however, completely understand that the majority of voters were against same-sex marriage and the amendment clearly stated the issue at hand.

What we had yesterday was not the above. What we had yesterday was an amendment written that was intentionally and purposefully vague (one where a neutral polling study showed that up to 40% of the voting populace did not understand the question). Now this purposefully vague amendment is going into the North Carolina constitution and honestly it did not poll what the North Carolina wanted at all.

Good post.

Another negative effect of this amendment is that if our government can't offer domestic partnership benefits and private employers can, it puts our state and local governments at a disadvantage when trying to hire talented, creative people.

Back