• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Thread on Free Board is Titled

Astronomydeac's shennanigans steered me over here. When did this place take off? I must not have been paying attention.

Why wouldn't Kent be pleased? Why would he care? I thought he's not been exactly happy with Scout.

I am actually rather nervous that scout will eventually shut down and we have too many moderators around here that have been "trouble" in the past.

I said this before, but I do think the selection of mods on this board do make it appear to be a bit of a "joke board" and generally make this board seem very chat-thready as matt said on the scout thread.

No offense, but it's hard to have zzzz or OGD as mods if you are really trying to be taken seriously, which you may or may not be trying to do, but if the goal is really to reunify the WF community, it's probably something you want to do.

/realtalk

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Kent be pleased? Why would he care? I thought he's not been exactly happy with Scout.

I thought Kent created the boards but no longer has anything to do with them other than occasionally posting.

We would love some of the more "respected" posters from there to be mods and invites were sent, but they denied.

I said this before, but I do think the selection of mods on this board do make it appear to be a bit of a "joke board" and generally make this board seem very chat-thready as matt said on the scout thread.

No offense, but it's hard to have zzzz or OGD as mods if you are really trying to be taken seriously, which you may or not me trying to do, but if the goal is really to reunify the WF community, it's probably something you want to do.

/realtalk

I do think that having that "power" makes one much more self-aware when posting things or reacting to something on the boards.

Also, the nature of these boards really makes it so mods don't have to do much. If something does need to be done, there is almost always going to be a careful discussion regarding such a decision.

No offense, but it's hard to have zzzz or OGD as mods if you are really trying to be taken seriously, which you may or not me trying to do, but if the goal is really to reunify the WF community, it's probably something you want to do.

/realtalk

Well one of the major reasons we created these boards (and I was the one who set up and configured our database and software) is because we don't think mine and zzzz (and DV7 and Irish's) typical behavior should be bannable. We are mature enough to use our moderator powers when they are suited, and our philosophy is that that should be reserved for extreme cases such as physical threats or blatant spamming.

/realtalk

Understandable. Just know that we have some other quality posters and there needs to be complete consensus before anything happens (thread deletion/user banning).

It will take time, but its going to work.

People continue to take internet message boards way too seriously.

Well one of the major reasons we created these boards (and I was the one who set up and configured our database and software) is because we don't think mine and zzzz (and DV7 and Irish's) typical behavior should be bannable. We are mature enough to use our moderator powers when they are suited, and our philosophy is that that should be reserved for extreme cases such as physical threats or blatant spamming.

Understandable. Just know that we have some other quality posters and there needs to be complete consensus before anything happens (thread deletion/user banning).

It will take time, but its going to work.

I'm not talking about moderating, I'm just trying to think from the perspective of someone posting on scout, like matt for instance. You come over and see that the mods are just chat thread posters, random names and then even a Ron Wellman parody, and it might be tough to take the board seriously.

I'd post this over on DS, but I'm not allowed, because cagles got reactionary a couple weeks ago.

Props to DeacMan.

I'm not talking about moderating, I'm just trying to think from the perspective of someone posting on scout, like matt for instance. You come over and see that the mods are just chat thread posters, random names and then even a Ron Wellman parody, and it might be tough to take the board seriously.

True, but I guess there isn't much we can do about this besides continue to be good moderators and hope that actions speak louder than words.

I do agree with that

We've been around for four days, and are closing in on 300 registered users.

I think we're being taken seriously.

Back