• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fla. Sociology professor tweets Texans deserved Harvey for supporting Trump

I wonder if tenure saves you from saying stupid shit on the internet?

I remember after 9-11 when Falwell and Pat Robertson said that the attack was God's way of expressing his wrath against America for allowing abortions. People actually do believe that shit.

I remember after 9-11 when Falwell and Pat Robertson said that the attack was God's way of expressing his wrath against America for allowing abortions. People actually do believe that shit.

yeah he said it again after Katrina. bunch of assholes on both sides

I'm trying to figure out when conservatives are for free speech and when they aren't.

I'm confident USF has room for another moderate, non-partisan educator in the Social Sciences department.

Pales to Jim Bakker claiming the eclipse was a warning from God to repent

I'm trying to figure out when conservatives are for free speech and when they aren't.

It not just conservatives. Our local left wing is furious at our city council and officials for permitting the Klan and other various and sundry white supremacists to march in Cville and for not having already taken down the Lee & Jackson statues. They even have a lawyer and a UVA prof in their mix, but apparently none of their high school history textbooks made it to Skokie IL. Add to that, it's been widely reported locally that federal Judge Conrad issued an injunction against the city for trying to move the 8/12 rally to a different location, and a local circuit judge issued a preliminary injunction against the city to prevent them from moving the Lee statue until he hears the entire case this Winter (and city council has not yet voted to remove the Jackson statue). There are plenty of wingnuts in both parties who wish to live in an insular, post-fact world and want to restrict the other side's speech.

It not just conservatives. Our local left wing is furious at our city council and officials for permitting the Klan and other various and sundry white supremacists to march in Cville and for not having already taken down the Lee & Jackson statues. They even have a lawyer and a UVA prof in their mix, but apparently none of their high school history textbooks made it to Skokie IL. Add to that, it's been widely reported locally that federal Judge Conrad issued an injunction against the city for trying to move the 8/12 rally to a different location, and a local circuit judge issued a preliminary injunction against the city to prevent them from moving the Lee statue until he hears the entire case this Winter (and city council has not yet voted to remove the Jackson statue). There are plenty of wingnuts in both parties who wish to live in an insular, post-fact world and want to restrict the other side's speech.

The liberal position is pretty clear. Violent hate speech shouldn't have free speech protection.

Conservatives complain that colleges aren't accepting controversial conservative speakers while rallying to get liberal professors fired for saying controversial things.

The liberal position is pretty clear. Violent hate speech shouldn't have free speech protection.

Conservatives complain that colleges aren't accepting controversial conservative speakers while rallying to get liberal professors fired for saying controversial things.

Wait... I thought that speech was free of legal consequence but not social? Florida employers can hire/fire whoever they want, whenever they want.

Wait... I thought that speech was free of legal consequence but not social? Florida employers can hire/fire whoever they want, whenever they want.

Nobody said they couldn't. I'm saying conservatives are shutting down liberal free speech while claiming liberals are shutting down conservative free speech.

Back