• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Florida State Game Time

During the broadcast one of the announcers said that Clawson told them yesterday that he knows Wake doesn't have a chance to beat Florida State
This isn't what he said. It was only part of the quote and it preceded an "unless we can...." I'm as pissed at Clawson as anybody else these days but let's not misquote him, not fair.

So you don't think Griffis will have 100x more prep than a true frosh QB?

"Clawson just went with the more experienced QB who he'll certainly bench for a true frosh next year."

You all are arguing in circles to ascribe logic to Clawson's decisions that is just not there.
I don’t think Mitch will be on the team next year. I am sure we will find a better option. And I’m sure he knows he’s not cut out for this level. But there’s only so much that can be done now.

Burn this game thread down. It’s as delusional as you’ll see at the schools we make fun of. We finally made the big time there!

Weird exchange between Stan and the other guy (forgot his name) on the post game. They were talking about not being sure if Leonard will play for Duke on Thursday. The other guy said there was uncertainty for both QB situations. And Stan said something like “Well you don’t know what injuries may creep up on Sundays.”

We’re 2-8 in our last 10 ACC games. About to go to Duke who will be favored by double digits with a guy only in his second year as head coach who took over one of the worst P5 programs on planet earth.

FIFY

This isn't what he said. It was only part of the quote and it preceded an "unless we can...." I'm as pissed at Clawson as anybody else these days but let's not misquote him, not fair.

So your saying the announcers said something like ~"We spoke to Clawson yesterday and he told us he knows Wake doesn't have a chance to beat Florida State unless we can?"

What was the unless we can referring to?

Don't remember and it was a little hard to make out. But it stands to reason anyway that DC wouldn't say that, no coach would.

So your saying the announcers said something like ~"We spoke to Clawson yesterday and he told us he knows Wake doesn't have a chance to beat Florida State unless we can?"

What was the unless we can referring to?
I'm just guessing but it was probably something like "unless we can win the turnover battle, keep their QB to at least pedestrian numbers and get good O-line play to open some time up for our QBs"

Just general coach speak, ya know?

Talking points from post-game press conference:
  • Hard fought battle
  • Got to give Florida State their due. Tough on offense, especially their QB, and a hard pressuring defense.
  • Thought we did a lot of things well on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Always could use some improvement with missed plays and assignments.
  • That’s why we play in the ACC, so we can go up against the best.
  • Really proud of how Mitch bounced back this week and showed his perseverance. He’s our guy and have got to love his dedication to the program.

Did I miss anything?
This was pretty close. Very defensive of Griffis. "We got beat across the board. It's hard to pin this game on one position."

He admitted that he focused on staying healthy as early as the 3rd quarter because they play on Thursday.

On Mitch:

it wasn’t great, but showed some progress from earlier performances.
This can’t be serious. I had the unfortunate experience of listening to the second half in the car on the way to soccer and had to listen to the FSU broadcast. They think they’re the best team in America now. It’s an embarrassment.

This can’t be serious. I had the unfortunate experience of listening to the second half in the car on the way to soccer and had to listen to the FSU broadcast. They think they’re the best team in America now. It’s an embarrassment.
Mean it was probably Mitch’s best game since Vanderbilt, maybe Elon. So progress, really low bar, but progress. You could hear in Clawson’s voice he was trying not to trash The kid and find some positive while admitting he still wasn’t good.

After the Virgina Tech loss, Clawson questioned whether the team would continue to play hard for a win or would give up and pack it in for the season. They showed up against Pitt and pulled off a last second win behind the third string QB.

Clawson's decision to start Griffis surprised me. The win last week had provided a small measure of momentum. Starting Griffis destroyed that momentum. Playing Griffis for the first 49 minutes despite a terrible performance appeared to destroy the morale of the team. From my personal perspective, Clawson gave up on his team this afternoon. That is unacceptable.

Back